What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad2 Case

tnbug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really like this case. But might be too expensive for me.
Anyone have this one?
Or where i might find a case similar?
I guess a case with magnet is safe for the iPad since the Apple smart case has magnets.
Thanks

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0v1nAHFu30[/ame]

Last edited:

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess a case with magnet is safe for the iPad since the Apple smart case has magnets.

The smart case is designed to work (only) with iPad 2.

This particular case was designed for iPad 1 - in fact, there are quite a number of other cases which use magnetic fasteners. However, I haven't seen or heard of any major issues on iPad 1 with magnetic cases - certainly not to the extent of problems seen on smaller devices like some smartphones.

Chriztofor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am going to wait for about a month to get a case. I want something that is magnetic that also covers the back. I like the one the OP posted. I am sure there will be a slew of other cases to choose from in the very near future.

jhood2323

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i need that full body guard for my 2 as it will be my cellphone/notebook/media device

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm just going with the smart cover (trying to decide between the gray/silver, blue or green) and just bought a 10.2" netbook neoprene sleeve (made by Tuari) for $12.99 at Target that I'll use to protect the back (and the whole thing) when chucking it in my brief case or back pack etc.

Last edited:

qnet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.network-creations.net
That's just like the case I have for my Ipad. it's really nice because, you can't tell what's inside when it's closed. Some people thing it's just a notebook. I hope they make something like this for the Ipad 2.

iPad100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For my iPad I found the best case was the one made by Apple.

Apple iPad Case - Apple Store (U.S.)

- simple
- inexpensive
- cleanable/washable exterior that is not expensive leather or something else you will worry about getting dirty or damaging
- soft microfiber interior makes sure the iPad doesn't slip around and provides some impact resistence
- folding flap provides an excellent stand for typing, etc.

Unfortunately, the iPad2 is smaller in length (-1 mm) / breadth (-4 mm) and much thinner (-4.6 mm), so if it doesn't actually fall out of the iPad1 case it will at least slide around too much. Plus the rear camera is covered.

I dearly hope Apple also produce an iPad2 case like the basic iPad1 case, with smaller dimensions and camera holes, etc., but in the same basic material/design.

I'm not convinced the smart covers are a good idea, whilst being trendy and cool, the back is completely unprotected (although this may be a conscious decision on Apple's part to avoid heat build-up if using a closed case? - although my iPad1 doesn't have an issue).

Plus there is the issue of travelling/carrying the iPad2 - the iPad1 basic case sort of conceals the device - it's completely covered so there is some protection against drops and scratching the back, and it also looks like a (paper) notebook so less tempting for people to steal. With the new covers the iPad is clearly visible and identifiable.

I could go for a 3rd party case if Apple don't do the right thing, but it's just not the same, and usually much more expensive. In addition, they tend to look too glitzy (trying to promote themselves, I guess) and bulk the iPad up too much. Basically, the Apple case is perfect for iPad1 (IMHO), so I just hope there will be the same option for iPad2.

But sucker that I am I will no doubt get the iPad2 fairly soon, regardless of case! :eek:

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Plus there is the issue of travelling/carrying the iPad2 - the iPad1 basic case sort of conceals the device - it's completely covered so there is some protection against drops and scratching the back, and it also looks like a (paper) notebook so less tempting for people to steal. With the new covers the iPad is clearly visible and identifiable.

I'd never just carry around the iPad. If I have gadgets with me that won't fit in a pocket then I have them in my attache bag or a back pack.

As noted above, I just bought a netbook neoprene sleeve to keep it in when putting it in a bag to keep the back from getting scratched etc.

I wasn't a big fan of the iPad one case. I like using the iPad without a case and it was too hard to put it in and out of. And I hated the way the edge stuck our rather than being flat--made it harder to hit the volume keys etc.

leena

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't buy leather and it is a shame that a lot of cases seem to be leather. It looks like the Dodocase is leather free so I'm going to go with that.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't buy leather and it is a shame that a lot of cases seem to be leather. It looks like the Dodocase is leather free so I'm going to go with that.

If you're looking for a Moleskine-style case, you should consider other vendors like Treegloo, Portenzo or Pad And Quill, who produce a far better product. DodoCase may have the most publicity, but its ongoing problems with durability and workmanship are also pretty well documented.

leena

iPF Noob
Reaction score

If you're looking for a Moleskine-style case, you should consider other vendors like Treegloo, Portenzo or Pad And Quill, who produce a far better product. DodoCase may have the most publicity, but its ongoing problems with durability and workmanship are also pretty well documented.

It looks like the Pad & Quill are Leather but the Portenzo might not be? I emailed them. For some reason I thought their cases contained leather.

Doowah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have one of the original dodocases and although I have loved it, I believe it has scratched my ipad screen. Just a word of advice, go with a zagg or bestskinsever protection for the screen if you get a dodocase or equivelant. If anything gets on the back cover (salt from restaurant, etc) it will scratch the screen. I baby mine too and it still happened. For what its worth....

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It looks like the Pad & Quill are Leather but the Portenzo might not be? I emailed them. For some reason I thought their cases contained leather.

Portenzo does make leather (cowhide and other exotics like ostrich, stingray, etc) cases - there's some links on their site - which comes at a premium, but their flagship product is still the Moleskine vinyl "faux leather" cover.

I am a big fan of leather myself, and I have an Oberon Design iPad leather case which speaks to that. However, as a bibliophile and journal keeper I knew wanted a Moleskine-style case, i.e. the vinyl cover with the characteristic vertical elastic band.

I looked around and found various vendors including DodoCase, Treegloo, Portenzo, Caveman, Pad & Quill, etc. I went with Treegloo. What sold me on the Treegloo was pricing, the ability to customize (I picked a historic Paris city map for my inside liner, but they can customize your personal picture and/or corporate logo) and their customer service.

I just received my second Treegloo case a few days ago, in fact, and the new case features a number of design and material "upgrades" which makes what was already a great product even better. (And I like that they have continued to improve their products rather than sitting around complacent.)

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have one of the original dodocases and although I have loved it, I believe it has scratched my ipad screen. Just a word of advice, go with a zagg or bestskinsever protection for the screen if you get a dodocase or equivelant. If anything gets on the back cover (salt from restaurant, etc) it will scratch the screen. I baby mine too and it still happened. For what its worth....

Wow, that is harsh - you'd have thought that the glass would be much more resilient. (And unless it was caused by something on the case liner or frame, I suppose an accident like this could have happened with any case.)

Most reactions