What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad2 best IOS that is quite new, fast, and jailbreakable

Vetalogy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi...
I have Ipad 2 (GSM) with 32GB, for some reason it stayed on its initial IOS version (I guess V.4.5.X), now I'm working on it and some new apps needed updated version. Based on your experience, what's the most stable, quite new, fast (with no sluggish), and jailbreakable version that I can upload to my Ipad2?
I'm quite newbie regarding this, so any recommendations is highly appreciated.

Thanks
Danny

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi...
I have Ipad 2 (GSM) with 32GB, for some reason it stayed on its initial IOS version (I guess V.4.5.X), now I'm working on it and some new apps needed updated version. Based on your experience, what's the most stable, quite new, fast (with no sluggish), and jailbreakable version that I can upload to my Ipad2?
I'm quite newbie regarding this, so any recommendations is highly appreciated.

Thanks
Danny
There's only one iOS version that you can upgrade to. The only iOS version for the iPad 2 that's currently being signed by Apple is iOS 8.1, you can't upgrade to any intermediate iOS version. This version is jailbreakable using the Pangu jailbreak tool.

Since you're interested in jailbreaking your iPad, I'll move your post to the iPad Hacking Forum.

OP
V

Vetalogy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Scifan57, but Can't I use any of the older versions that is available on the appldnld? Than you

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you Scifan57, but Can't I use any of the older versions that is available on the appldnld? Than you
I'm afraid not. You can't use anything but the latest iOS version. Those older versions can only be used by devices which cannot be upgraded to the latest iOS version, such as the iPad 1 which can only be upgraded to iOS 5.1.1.

If you try to use one of those older iOS versions to upgrade your iPad 2, the upgrade will fail because the upgrade can't pass verification with the Apple servers.

OP
V

Vetalogy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh no....Anything I can do about? V.8 they say it's slow, and I don't want to stuck with useless IOS

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh no....Anything I can do about? V.8 they say it's slow, and I don't want to stuck with useless IOS
The current iOS version is iOS 8.1 and is quite an improvement over iOS 8.0. Most iPad 2 users have no problems with it but a few are reporting various problems such as slowness. Unfortunately, it's all or nothing in regards to the upgrade. In addition iOS 8.1.1, which patches the Pangu jailbreak, is currently in beta testing and will be publicly released any time now.

OP
V

Vetalogy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, So I think in all cases it's better to upgrade to V.8.1, as many apps won't work on my current IOS version. Another thing, someone has told me Ipad 2 isn't taking any new Jailbreak anymore, is that right?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The optimal iOS (in my biased opinion) to ever run on any iOS device would be iOS 6 for devices capable of running iOS 6, if not, then iOS 5 as they have low resource demands, and is flawless with respect to jailbreaking. (Just putting it out there)

But with respect to iOS 8.1, as scifan57 said, it's relatively stable at it's current state when compared to the GM release. Jailbreaking it isn't difficult and yields minimal issues and has the same risk as every other previous jailbreak (which is basically none). As for performance, the A5X processor in the iPad 2 runs iOS 8.1 remarkably well unless you're overloading the device with RAM intensive apps such as games that requiring caching as they don't save at immediate intervals and has high levels of rendering simultaneously (i.e. The Walking Dead or A Wolf Among Us), but it's rare to experience crashes/lags outside of that as well as other notoriously demanding apps.

iOS does a pretty find job of managing resources, so performance-wise, it's always at an optimal level with respect to demand from apps, so as long as the device is still being supported by the iOS, that would mean it's capable of running the iOS at benchmarked levels, otherwise Apple would give the device legacy status. If the device is skimming the surface of the benchmark, Apple would give an adulterated version of iOS for that device such as iOS 7 for the iPhone 4 and iOS 8 for the iPhone 4S. AFAIK, the iPad 2 is running an unadulterated version of iOS 8, meaning there aren't any software means of compensating for lower hardware specs, which would equate to the iPad 2 having a pretty good score in benchmarking compared to the iPhone 4S, which is to be expected due to the screen size difference and the hardware requirement to keep up with the screen size.

TL;DR: iPad 2 running iOS 8.1 performs pretty well taking into account its specs.

Goncalves

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hi masters, Scifan57 and willerz2 [emoji4] have my new Air 2' how about to jailbreak him, is advised, any major issues? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Restore it to 8.1 if it's not already on 8.1, and jailbreak using Pangu8.

Most reactions