What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad2 audio jack

namlow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is this the same jack for earphone as well ass mic?
Besides the build-in mic, there is no input for mic!

L

Lunar

Is this the same jack for earphone as well ass mic?
Besides the build-in mic, there is no input for mic!

The earphone jack does function for the stereo headphones and also the mic... the iPad does have its own built-in mic down on the one edge for when you don't wish to use a headset/mic combo, say for programs like Skype or Teamspeak ect. Works quite well too. If for whatever reason you wanted plug in just a external micophone, then you would have to use a modified 3.5" jack plug or purchase an adapter assuming they are available, but IME the built-in iPad mic is actually quite good, as I often use it with Teamspeak when I'm not using the earbuds/mic or my blu-tooth headset.

The original Apple Earbuds with mic , do in fact work very well, plus the fact you can also control the volume too, TBH I think these should have been in the box with every new iPad. Afterall, one cannot say Apple are over generous with what they supply in the box.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad uses a TRRS adapter, commonly referred to as a 3.5 mm (1/8") plug. TRRS (Tip, ring, ring. sleeve) plugs assign functions to each connection, by need. For example, you could have music provided to a speaker system (L, R, Subwoofer), or to a microphone and speakers. The system determines what is required and works accordingly.

OP
namlow

namlow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the term TRRS, they do have a standard. This solved my puzzy on this for years.

BTW, I assume the built-in mic will be disabled if one uses a headset with mic, either wired or bluetooth.
Am I right? If not the iPad2 will have two mic inputs simultaneously.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They have a shunt that switches the internal mike and speakers off if an external set is connected.

Most reactions

Latest posts