What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad2 as second computer display

pigpenz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm trying to turn my iPad2 into a second display for my windows laptop. There are a few applications out there to do this and I would like to know what the community recommends. I would like to use it for movie watching mostly. I've searched for another thread on this subject but cannot find one, feel free to direct me to one if I missed it. Thanks a lot!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Splashtop is my recommendation. It allows you remote access and control of your PC either from your local network or anywhere on the Internet. Set up is a breeze, too - no complicated router configuration. Easy to use, fast, responsive - a great app.

Tim

OP
P

pigpenz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Splashtop is my recommendation. It allows you remote access and control of your PC either from your local network or anywhere on the Internet. Set up is a breeze, too - no complicated router configuration. Easy to use, fast, responsive - a great app.

Tim

Forgive my ignorance, but would also allow me to use my ipad display as An extension of the monitor?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - when you're running Splashtop, whatever appears on your PC screen will appear on the iPad. You can then use your PC as normal and the iPad screen will simply show what's on the PC screen. Plus, you can control your PC from your iPad, too, if you want to.

There's a free limited-viewing-time version available, too, so you can try it out first of all to see if it suits your requirements.

Tim

OP
P

pigpenz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation Tim, I'm trying it out right now. I just hope it's robust enough to display a DVD being played in the drive of my computer, if it is then I am a definite customer.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It might struggle a bit with real-time DVD display - it's not an app issue or an iPad issue, it's simply the WiFi bandwidth that will be needed to provide a real-time display of that DVD. Anyway, there's nothing lost if it doesn't work well enough.

Tim

OP
P

pigpenz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
It might struggle a bit with real-time DVD display - it's not an app issue or an iPad issue, it's simply the WiFi bandwidth that will be needed to provide a real-time display of that DVD. Anyway, there's nothing lost if it doesn't work well enough.

Tim

It did struggle, quite a but I do understand the bandwidth limitations. It does seem to be a truly fantastic app and I think I will make the purchase although it does not do exactly what I need.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wiifi G standard can barely manage the 8Mbps of DVD reliably,...you would need to upgrade to N standard if you expect to watch a DVD on ipad streaming from pc.

Have a look at air display

Last edited:

Techpaste

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.techpaste.info
Tim SPRACKLEN said:

Tim

It did struggle, quite a but I do understand the bandwidth limitations. It does seem to be a truly fantastic app and I think I will make the purchase although it does not do exactly what I need.

I see what you mean. You want 2 displays. Not mirrored but an extended display. Good question, I'm not aware of anything as of yet but I will keep an eye out and keep you posted. :)

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have Splashtop, but it doesn't like 7 channel audio, and because my graphics system carries sound as well, it gets confused. It puts the computer into 640 x 480 res. Works, but then I have to reset the PC, probably more up to date apps out there that can do this :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts