What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad2 app updates. Do I update apps that have the word "retina" in them?

Alexandria

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I Have an ipad2. When I update my current apps do I update ones that have an update for retina. Some of these retina updates also say they updating minor fixes also. Thank you!

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Alexandria said:
I Have an ipad2. When I update my current apps do I update ones that have an update for retina. Some of these retina updates also say they updating minor fixes also. Thank you!

If the update is exclusively retina related you don't need it but unfortunately retina updates target all iPads not just retina ready ones and attempting to micromanage updates based on retina functionality is going to prove quit cumbersome.

I would recommend taking all updates regardless of their stated scope. Most existing apps, at least the most popular have already pushed out their retina updates.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Midranger4 said:
If the update is exclusively retina related you don't need it but unfortunately retina updates target all iPads not just retina ready ones and attempting to micromanage updates based on retina functionality is going to prove quit cumbersome.

I would recommend taking all updates regardless of their stated scope. Most existing apps, at least the most popular have already pushed out their retina updates.

I agree, I've been taking all the updates even though I realize that the retina stuff is a major piece of the latest updates. Oh well.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I always update apps when I'm notified of the changes--even though some of the apps advise that they are upgrading to take advantage of the new iPad features such as retina display. On my original iPad, the app upgrades look good and they don't seem to take as long as they used to when I launch them. I sense that with the iOS5.1 update along with the focus of improving apps, even if the upgrade is for retina displays and other features of the new iPad, my original iPad benefits.

Most reactions

Latest posts