What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad2 and photography

Swati.Siddharth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. I am a new user. The kit I have is an ipad2 64gb with wifi, a camera connection kit and a MacBook pro 17" 500gb.

My first question is this - can I use the iPad to download photographs from my Canon DSLR camera when I am out on the field and transfer them to the MacBook once I am back home? I do not like to carry the laptop around in dusty forests. It is also not very convenient to do so.

My second question is does anyone know anything about an iPad compatible hyperdrive? Will this gadget help with the above issue? If so, where in India can I acquire this hyperdrive?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Apple has Camera Connection Kit (CCK) that will let you directly connect your camer via USB, or connect the SD card. If your DSLR uses SD cards, you're set. If it uses CF Cards, you can either use the USB cable (microUSB to USB usually), or try a USB card reader with the CCK. The card readers are no as reliable. Some work, and some don't. They also seem to work (when they do) with smaller CF Cards better 2-4GB. I have a small portable Vivitar card reader that has worked for me.

Connecting a hard drive directly to an iPad is not possible. There are some wi-fi based hard drive solutions (act as portable wi-fi networks) that may help, especially with photos. They usually need a companion app. Be sure to read closely what they can, and can not do.

Airstash works with SD cards. I can't remember the name of the other HDD based unit. Google might winkle it out.

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
Swati.Siddharth said:
Hi. I am a new user. The kit I have is an ipad2 64gb with wifi, a camera connection kit and a MacBook pro 17" 500gb.

My first question is this - can I use the iPad to download photographs from my Canon DSLR camera when I am out on the field and transfer them to the MacBook once I am back home? I do not like to carry the laptop around in dusty forests. It is also not very convenient to do so.

My second question is does anyone know anything about an iPad compatible hyperdrive? Will this gadget help with the above issue? If so, where in India can I acquire this hyperdrive?

Welcome to the forum Swati. I use Nikons and have both SD media and CF media-equipped cameras. I have the camera connection kit for the SD, but had to acquire a third-party adapter to download the CF-stored files. If you PM me I will point you toward the source of the CF adapter.

But the complexity may not end there. I also use an app called Snapseed (which can make great HDR images by the way), but images edited by Snapseed can not be interpreted by Photoshop. However that being said, it is all a giant learning process - which I love!

I don't know much about an iPad-compatible drive though.

Stick around and don't hesitate to shoot me a message if you have any other questions.

Most reactions

Latest posts