What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad2 and IOS5. Opening attachments Word format. Does not pinch to zoom

fab.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Normally, receiving emails with attachments in ,doc format, I could open them and use the pinch to zoom (I guess they were made in terms of images, as for pdfs).
Now, after upgrading to IOS5, no longer works the pinch to zoom from the mailer. The same applies to open documents in Dropbox.

Are there any special settings to be set or is it a bug?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't remember what it did under iOS 4.x.

This is what I found by experimenting.

In landscape it will not zoom at all. It displays at 100%, and that is it.

In portrait. It will zoom up to 100%, and down to where it fills the screen width wise. It will look like it will zoom to other levels, but springs back to one of these two limits.

When I tried a larger 11 x 17 inch document the landscape mode acted like the portrait mode for a normal document. Only a very limited amount of zoom was possible. The portrait mode continued to allow zooming, but of course allowed just a bit more.

My conclusion. Your maximum zoom is 100%, the minimum is fill the screen (with filling the screen taking priority). In landscape a 8 x 11 page is already 100% or more, so that's all you get. (yes, I know it's not a 1:1 representation of the page in real inches, but the iPad thinks it is, and that's all that counts).

My second conclusion: Nothing you can do about it except open the document in a more capable viewer; probably a word compatible editor. And offer Apple feedback on the feature.

Sorry.

OP
F

fab.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't remember what it did under iOS 4.x.

This is what I found by experimenting.

In landscape it will not zoom at all. It displays at 100%, and that is it.

In portrait. It will zoom up to 100%, and down to where it fills the screen width wise. It will look like it will zoom to other levels, but springs back to one of these two limits.

When I tried a larger 11 x 17 inch document the landscape mode acted like the portrait mode for a normal document. Only a very limited amount of zoom was possible. The portrait mode continued to allow zooming, but of course allowed just a bit more.

My conclusion. Your maximum zoom is 100%, the minimum is fill the screen (with filling the screen taking priority). In landscape a 8 x 11 page is already 100% or more, so that's all you get. (yes, I know it's not a 1:1 representation of the page in real inches, but the iPad thinks it is, and that's all that counts).

My second conclusion: Nothing you can do about it except open the document in a more capable viewer; probably a word compatible editor. And offer Apple feedback on the feature.

Sorry.

Thank you.

Under iOS 4.x. zoom had no limitations and you could manipulate it freely, in both landscape and portrait mode.
I hope it's a bug, but it seems too strange....
Sure, we may open documents in word processors, but the previous feature was lighter and faster.
It's really a shame.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's not as nice, since it tends to pixilate, but you can activate the Zoom feature under Settings > General > Accessibility and use those gestures. It's a whole screen zoom, not just the document, but if you were trying to get bit better look at something it might do in a pin. . . , well, not a pinch; that's the normal gesture, isn't it. ;)

OP
F

fab.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not as nice, since it tends to pixilate, but you can activate the Zoom feature under Settings > General > Accessibility and use those gestures. It's a whole screen zoom, not just the document, but if you were trying to get bit better look at something it might do in a pin. . . , well, not a pinch; that's the normal gesture, isn't it. ;)

I know it, it's not as nice as you say. :)
Let's hope in next update!

Most reactions

Latest posts