What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad1 with no iOS6?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That was my point....that fragmentation on Android isn't any worse than it is on iOS at the present time.

Sent from my iPad 3rd Gen using ipf

I don't agree with that. Only that it's not as bad as some would like to present it. But we're drifting off topic, badly, so I'll stop with this post. Besides, it's bed time. :)

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
sjleworthy said:
Thats a shame. It's compatible as far back as the iphone 3gs, but no ipad 1.

I think the reason for the 3GS support, and lack of support for the iPad 1, is to force users to upgrade their devices. Once 3GS owners upgrade (if they don't know of shsh blobs and such) they are pretty much stuck on iOS 6, which in my opinion would slow down the phone so much, or render it so useless that people will start considering getting the newest iPhone. As for the iPad 1, it could probably handle some of the features of iOS 6, but apple may see it as more strategic to flaunt this new iOS to iPad 1 owners, and convince them they must get a newer iPad if they want to use it. I don't like to think of apple in this way. But there should be absolutely NO REASON for the 3GS to support iOS 6 and not the iPad 1 (which has better hardware than the 3GS).

Sonia ferdous

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm but it is not fair. It would be better if Apple allowed iOS 6 for iPad 1 also. Otherwise, I'll miss out on any new iOS features and the updates that require on iOS 6. Apple do this all the time that if you want the latest, you have to buy the latest. :(

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sonia ferdous said:
Hmm but it is not fair. It would be better if Apple allowed iOS 6 for iPad 1 also. Otherwise, I'll miss out on any new iOS features and the updates that require on iOS 6. Apple do this all the time that if you want the latest, you have to buy the latest. :(

I'm trying to think of a product where this isn't the same.....care to share?

The Archangel

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That was my point....that fragmentation on Android isn't any worse than it is on iOS at the present time.

Sent from my iPad 3rd Gen using ipf

As a developer on both platforms, I can assure you that this is not true.

Fragmentation on Android requires us to have dozens of different variations of the same app, unless we dumb down to the least common feature set. It's a royal pain in the butt.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Granted Apple is in the business of making a profit, but it is illogical to blame them for adding features that people want. It would be great if they could port some of the features to the original iPad, but there is nothing essential in the upgrades. If you cannot live without the features, you need to upgrade. If you have the original iPad, it will still do everything it used to do. Many of the features are available in apps. Technology is constantly changing. The hardware struggles to keep up with the software. You either accept that reality, or give up.

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm trying to think of a product where this isn't the same.....care to share?

The Archangel

I can't think of any. I just bought a 2012 Subaru in Feb. Now I hear that the 2013 models have air conditioning vents in the very back; a feature that would be nice to have since my dogs ride back there. Nothing I can do about it, though.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dont want any features. just worrying of the future apps with a minimum ios requirement of 6.

That's my interest, too. I'm not keen on the new features (don't even use most new features that came with iOS 5). I have Siri on iPhone and find it useless.

I'll just keep using my iPad 1 and 2 as long as they keep doing what I do now, and then see if jailbreaking helps once functionality becomes limited. When I do get a new tablet, I'll compare across brands and platforms, to see what works best for me then.

I buy electronics with current features and functions in mind; I never buy because of upgrades I might or might not get. I don't expect upgrades indefinitely, but I do expect hardware makers not to upgrade firmware beyond hardware capability, as Apple did with iPhone 3G, when the last firmware upgrade made the "smart" part of the phone so slow it became unusable, and then made downgrading impossible unless you jailbreaked.

Andyvalver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I could see this was going to happen and that's why I sold my iPad 1 and bought the new one. The iPad 1 slowed down with the iOS 5 update and safari crashes too. No such problems with the new iPad.

Sent from my iPad 3

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The biggest limitation is the RAM. With only 256MB, the iPad has little room for a bigger OS. Many of the new features in iOS 6 will require more background tasks and buffers. As some have noticed iOS 5 is already taking the iPad 1 to the edge ,RAM wise.

Yes, the 3GS has the same amount of RAM. However applications for iPads are significantly bigger than iPhone apps, especially since the introduction of the new iPad with it's retina display. And as I've said before, from what we are seeing the 3GS is pretty close to getting iOS 6 in name only. None of the new-cool features are going to work on it.

So the alternate theory (in leu of "Apple is just greedy") is that Apple is not going to put iOS 6 on the iPad because it would result in performance so poor it would piss customers off even more than not getting the upgrade at all.

Reality is probably somewhere in between, as it usually is.

Sleaka J

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The biggest limitation is the RAM. With only 256MB, the iPad has little room for a bigger OS. Many of the new features in iOS 6 will require more background tasks and buffers. As some have noticed iOS 5 is already taking the iPad 1 to the edge ,RAM wise. Yes, the 3GS has the same amount of RAM. However applications for iPads are significantly bigger than iPhone apps, especially since the introduction of the new iPad with it's retina display. And as I've said before, from what we are seeing the 3GS is pretty close to getting iOS 6 in name only. None of the new-cool features are going to work on it. So the alternate theory (in leu of "Apple is just greedy") is that Apple is not going to put iOS 6 on the iPad because it would result in performance so poor it would piss customers off even more than not getting the upgrade at all. Reality is probably somewhere in between, as it usually is.
I find a lot of the apps I use on my iPad are universal, not iPad specific, so they're the same size on my iPad as they are on my iPhone. I think they're just adding basic support to the 3GS because they're starting to offer it pre-paid.

Rperez414

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Yes, the 3GS has the same amount of RAM. However applications for iPads are significantly bigger than iPhone apps, especially since the introduction of the new iPad with it's retina display. And as I've said before, from what we are seeing the 3GS is pretty close to getting iOS 6 in name only. None of the new-cool features are going to work on it.

True the 3GS has the same amount of memory but it is driving far fewer pixels than the ipad. 480x320 vs 1024x7xx, perhaps that had some impact on Apples decision?

Most reactions