What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad1 with no iOS6?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many of the important features are not possible on the original iPad due to its limitations. Several iOS 6 features are not available on the iPad 2, which is a pity, but understandable.

cailean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I think it's crap what devices they decide it should work on and what each device gets.

I don't see why the 3GS with only a 600 Mhz chip should get it but a iPad 1 with a 1Ghz chip doesn't get it.

But hopefully the jailbreaking community should be able to bring a few of the missing features to the iOS6 supported devices that aren't officially provided. Like they have done with Siri.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah I think it's crap what devices they decide it should work on and what each device gets.

I don't see why the 3GS with only a 600 Mhz chip should get it but a iPad 1 with a 1Ghz chip doesn't get it.

But hopefully the jailbreaking community should be able to bring a few of the missing features to the iOS6 supported devices that aren't officially provided. Like they have done with Siri.

So what missing features are you dying to have on your iPad 1?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
cailean said:
There were othe considerations involved such as the fact that the iPad 1 only has 250 Mb of RAM.

Last edited:

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does this mean that when iOS 6 comes out there will never be anymore updates for iPad1 at all ?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Does this mean that when iOS 6 comes out there will never be anymore updates for iPad1 at all ?

Apple often supplies security and bug fix updates for older OS versions, so the iPad 1 may have a few updates coming. Will it be receiving new and exciting features? Very unlikely.

Though I would not be surprised if the sneak in a few iCloud compatibility tweaks (for OSX Mountain Lion compatibility). But that could just be wishful thinking.

NoNoBadDog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yptcn said:

For the most part, yes. Hardware wise, particularly the small amount of RAM, the original just cannot support what most of the new updates will bring. I have to bite my tongue every time I hear an Apple-bot accuse Android of fragmentation....

Sent from my iPad 3rd Gen using ipf

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Though I would not be surprised if the sneak in a few iCloud compatibility tweaks (for OSX Mountain Lion compatibility). But that could just be wishful thinking.[/QUOTE]

That's what I was thinking of . But will we (iPad1 users) be stuck with the "old"Map app or have the new one , even if the cool new features are not supported ?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Fragmentation exists on all platforms. It's a matter of degree. Because of their high turnover mobile is worse than traditional computers. Because there is little central control on version adoption and massive hardware differences for Android, it is worse than iOS.

But, if you ignore all but the 3 or 4 biggest manufacturers and their star lineup, especially the Nexus line, then the fragmentation on Android isn't as bad as it's reputation suggests. It's pursuing the margin cases that probably ouches the overly ambitious developer.

NoNoBadDog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That was my point....that fragmentation on Android isn't any worse than it is on iOS at the present time.

Sent from my iPad 3rd Gen using ipf

Most reactions

Latest posts