What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad1 vs. iPad3 video file types

iPad100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's a curious point - I have an iPad1 and iPad3 (I know, the iPad3 is the "new iPad" or just "The iPad" but that implies Apple wants us all to change to the latest hardware, whereas my original iPad works just fine!).

Anyway, I have the original as well as the latest devices, and they are both at iOS5.1.1 (latest). What it very odd is that the different devices display different titles/groups in the iOS Video app, even though they are using the same iOS. The new iPad displays video types as per iTunes (i.e. Movies, TV Shows, iTunes U, etc.), whereas the original iPad uses some different type groupings (mine has Films, TV Programmes, iTunes U, etc.). See the attached images for what I mean - I would be interested in what iPad2 on 5.1.1 displays. I first noticed this change in video types on the iPad1 around iOS 5.0.1 update.

The question is, why would Apple use different group names in their app, when iTunes itself groups videos in a standard way (at least for as long as I remember). And why expend effort on coding different display titles for different hardware when it seems to serve no functional purpose, and in fact strays from the "standard" iTunes video types? Is this a(nother) sign that Apple wants to force obsolescence of the original iPad and get us all buying iPad3s (then 4s, 5s, etc.)?

Regardless, it is a rather bizarre variation between the iPad models - as I said, it seems to serve no functional purpose (unlike, for example, not displaying camera options in the settings app for the iPad1, as it has no camera), and is almost a kind of iPad1 discrimination! Weird - I'd be interested in any opinions/observations on this little quirk... :eek:

Attachments

• iPad3.jpg
    iPad3.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 520
  • iPad1.jpg
    iPad1.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 973

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Seems like only apple can answer questions like this one. Who else could hope to understand ?

Most reactions

Latest posts