What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad1 Stuck in DFU (Not an average n008)

Roison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings from Australia, i was wondering if someone could help me with the high blood pressure im getting from my iPad :p

Before flaming me about a million sites covering this, i know, but im somewhat at a loss as the last two days of constant searching have helped none.

Currently:
- The iPad remains black, yet recognised as recovery mode via iTunes.
- Attempting to restore via apple, or custom (shift+restore) gives a whole range of errors, most commonly (1600 and 3194)

Steps taken:
- Before trouble i had 4.2.1 Jailbroken (Everything fine)
- Wanted to update to 4.3.3 to see "jailbreakme" website in action.
- Used TinyUmbrella to get it to validate the install
- 100% restored, itunes tells me its rebooting but dosent, and am faced with a (iTunes have detected an iPad in recovery mode....)

So far, trying to restore it to ANY version doesnt work, iTunes sprays out errors everywhere. Not even giving up and letting iTunes update me to the latest 4.3.5 works!?

So to get anywhere now, i have to use iReb to first exploit it, have TinyUmbrella server running, and then i can restore firmware in iTunes, but on reboot, it just goes into DFU. No apple logo, no nothing, just black, but still recognised by itunes, iReb, Redsn0w etc.

As a last resort i also tried to 'Fix Recovery' in TinyUmbrella, which successfully runs the greenpois0n exploit, but gets me no further than previously mentioned.

If one of you sharp minded techies could tell me where i should be looking, some uses for my new paper weight, that would be fantastic.

Thunk Yar

OP
R

Roison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:(

For all those who come to see this thread for answers, im afraid the title may have been slightly off... as i have no0bed my self into a hole :eek:

After editing my host file, re-installing iTunes (after uninstalling all apple progs) and contemplating a windows re-install...

i flushed my dns cache and could once again connect to the apple server.

Which also meant that i was obviously only permitted to install stock 4.3.5...

How embarrassing, Thanks to all those who came here to check it out anyways.

If anything id like to point out rather than restarting your machine for host file changes, just type "ipconfig /flushdns" into the command prompt, run command or start menu search bar for Vista and 7.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK. I'm going to assume you have a 3G iPad? Apple introduced new countermeasures on the restore process which can mess things up. Because you were on 4.2.1 with an older BB this is probably what happened in your case.
Your hosts file sound like it is pointing to Cydia which is what will prevent you from restoring to 4.3.5 and produce errors like 1600 and 3194.

So, first thing to make sure, you DO have 4.3.3 SHSH Blobs saved, right? You are not going to get anywhere good without them.

In order to fix your problems you need to have a bit of faith in me and follow these steps EXACTLY. The various settings are important and if you miss a step you won't be set up properly. Don't skip one because you think it is irrelevant or not important to your setup... OK?

First, follow this tutorial exactly. It does 2 things. It gets all your blobs into TU and MORE IMPORTANTLY it will fix your hosts file. Follow it exactly.

http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...01-how-save-your-shsh-blobs-tinyumbrella.html

I'm going to assume that in your list of blobs you now have 4.3.3. So that later you can get back to this version and jailbreak...

First off, we need to take you to 4.3.5 to get your baseband to the current iPad version.

Exit TU, connect your iPad to iTunes, put it into DFU mode (not pwnd or anything else, just good old fashioned DFU), and press restore to go to 4.3.5. Because of the steps in the last tutorial this should now sail through...

Once you have 4.3.5 installed and activated, you now go back to TU, press "Start TSS Server" and shift-restore to 4.3.3, again probably best to do this using DFU mode also.

Because your baseband is at the current level, TU is properly serving your 4.3.3 blobs, and everything else is correct, again this should sail though this time.

Once activated you, you should now be able to use jailbreakme.com to JB 4.3.3.

Hopefully that should get you through. As I said, it's important not to skip. Each stage is critical if coming up from 4.2.1...

Hope you get it sorted. Let us know how you get on.

Now you are probably ready to go to 4.

Because you were on 4.2.1,

OP
R

Roison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks

Awesome post mate, unfortunately i wont be able to use it just yet :(

I had my shsh backed up on my computer through TU, but had unticked the option to send them to Cydia, now i have no idea where they are or which computer they're in. I've searched for .shsh in all my hard drives and found nothing.

Until such time as i find them ill just be tethering for now, which isnt all that bad, i dont normally turn my devices off all that much and when Cydia asks me to reboot for things ill just Home button quit and bank some up for a later reboot.

Cheers again.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I had my shsh backed up on my computer through TU, but had unticked the option to send them to Cydia, now i have no idea where they are or which computer they're in. I've searched for .shsh in all my hard drives and found nothing.

Until such time as i find them ill just be tethering for now, which isnt all that bad, i dont normally turn my devices off all that much and when Cydia asks me to reboot for things ill just Home button quit and bank some up for a later reboot.

Cheers again.

I agree with f4780y. Your hosts file is screwed up.
But, the shsh is saved in a file named ".shsh" in the my documents folder. It is a hidden folder though so you will have to enable hidden files and folders to see it.

As for waiting to reboot, Cydia asks you to reboot for a reason. The tweak or app might be halfway installed and requires a reboot to complete and work properly. Not rebooting may cause problems.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Cheers again.

I think you are misunderstanding what TU does. It does not send your blobs to Cydia. It retrieves them FROM Cydia. I suggest you follow the guide I posted above on the PC you are on at the moment. It will get all your blobs from Cydia. It only takes a few seconds to do it once you have downloaded it, and then you will know exactly what blobs you have on that PC. You might be surprised by the result...
The tutorial also has the benefit of fixing your hosts file if you have accidentally messed it up...

Most reactions