What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad1 battery life

Craigie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

My iPad is a 64gb 3G version iPad 1.

It's jailbroken and Is running 4.3.5.

Today I left for work at 530 pm and the iPad was on over 90 percent. I'm pretty sure I put the device into standby and when I returned six hours later the device was off with no battery remaining.

Whilst writing this message Its gone from 15% to 13% already!

Is there anyway I can find out why this is happening or how to try and solve it? The device was running openssh from Cydia and I have just uninstalled that incase it was that?

On an app that I have it's giving battery cycles as 14 and a max capacity of 6527mah

Also memory usage seems quite high with 91mb being use for 'other' in an app called system status.

Any ideas on what else I could do?

tremblayd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok so open ssh was using a part of your battery life but I think your biggest problem is just your battery age. How old is your ipad ? The battery loses its "juice" after some time. I have a 3rd generation ipod touch and i have had it for about 2 years now. I have been using it so much that its battery only last about 1 hour with the minimum brightness.

Here's ways to help keep your battery in the 90's [/URL]http://www.apple.com/ca/batteries/ipad.html

Here's apple's page on replacing your device's battery. Sadly, i don't think they replace the ipad's battery
http://www.apple.com/ca/batteries/r... made spelling mistakes, i'm french canadian.

accessoriesguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.cellularfactory.com
You could always try restoring everything to default and reload only the necessities, this not only helps over all performance but battery life, however the amount you are losing seems like a ridiculous amount. With only 16 cycles, it seems like you may have a weird problem.

jasonlf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Extend iPad Battery Life

A few things that may help... maybe not all at once!

Turn off Wi-Fi and cellular data (iPad + 3G) settings. Your iPad drains battery power when searching for and attempting to connect to the nearest Wi-Fi or cellular network tower, so if you're not planning on using Safari or apps that require these features, shut them off.

Go to "Settings", "WiFi option" or "Cellular", and tap the off switch.

Turn off or decrease the timing for data fetching. Data that are updated regularly include email notifications and RSS feed.

Go to "Settings". Tap on "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" and go to "Fetch New Data". Tap "Manually".
Alternately, tap "Hourly" to increase the fetching interval.

Turn off Push notifications. The usefulness of this step depends on how many emails or IM+ you usually receive; if you get a lot, this step is probably worth using as this can deplete battery life. Go to "Settings", "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" and "Fetch New Data". Turn off Push.

Tone down the brightness. It goes without saying that the brighter the screen, the more battery power your iPad consumes. Turn down the brightness to a setting that looks right.

Go to "Settings", then "Brightness & Wallpaper".
Select "Auto Brightness", which will allow the iPad to adjust brightness depending on the brightness of your location; or
Drag the slider to the left to lower the default screen brightness. 25 percent to 30 percent brightness should be sufficient for daytime use, and for most people, should also work for nighttime.

Turn off the sound effects. Sounds can cause the battery to deplete quickly if they are frequent and as they are activated by default, they will sound whenever you receive notifications or when pressing buttons for the on-screen keyboard. Go to "Settings", "General", and "Sounds". There are five different options on the equalizer to "Increase/Decrease". Or, you can switch to "On/Off" if preferred. Obviously, disabling the lot would decrease the battery usage by sounds.

Turn off location services. Active use of maps and other location services will drain battery life. If left on, Maps updates continuously, something that you don't need draining your battery.

Avoid frequent use of 3D or graphic heavy apps. Sure, BrickBreaker HD looks great in high-definition, but playing for long periods of time drains battery life like a hose.

Switch on Airplane Mode if you have an iPad + 3G. It blocks all of the iPad's wireless signals and will increase battery life. In areas where 3G is patchy or weak, this could drain the battery even more, so it's a very good idea to turn it off in such a situation.

Keep the iPad away from temperature extremes. Extreme high or low temperatures can cause the battery life to decrease. Keep the iPad environment between 32ºF and 95ºF(0ºC and 35ºC)

Keep your software up-to-date at all times. Apple recommends updating regularly because engineers look for new ways to optimize battery performance and when they find any ways, they pass these on via software updates.

Switch on the auto-lock feature. This means that your iPad will turn off after a set period of time if left inactive. Go to "Settings", "General", and tap on "Auto Lock". Set the interval to a short space of time, such as one minute.

Most reactions

Latest posts