iPad worth driving three hours round trip???

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Universal, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Matth3w

Matth3w
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Best Buys you can buy it over the phone and pick it up later. That's what I did.

2. adamh10

adamh10
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Interesting. Their actual policy is that store pickup and holds are not allowed for iPads - first come, first served in store only. Somebody broke the rules for you :)

3. Matth3w

Matth3w
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I guess they did. I called from my local Best Buy which was sold out, gave them my credit card information over the phone, paid, and went and picked up about 6 hours later at customer service.

I don't see what the big deal is. A sale is a sale is a sale whether it is over the phone or not.

That was also the first week or so they were out, so perhaps they have changed their policy since then.

4. Universal

Universal
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Well, I did it...kind of.

My parents live about 20 miles from the store that had them in stock, so my Dad drove up and got one for me. I will get it by Thursday via UPS.

BTW, the Best Buy location is in Charlotte, NC - Rea Rd. location. They have several different models still in stock as of 4:00 PM today if anyone in that area is in need.

Can't wait to get my hands on it. This will be my first Apple product other than an iPod.

#14 Universal, Jun 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  5. mraif

mraif
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I just got back from a 2 hour round trip from Best Buy. I checked online and called the store before I left. She said they had 64GB 3G's in stock but couldn't hold any (contrary to what other stores said). So I got in the car and set a new record (thankful for radar detectors).

I walked in and they had ONE left!! For sure --- worth the trip.

6. Wetstuff

Wetstuff
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I had one on order from Apple .. Best Buy, also a little over an hour from me, were getting them in on a Friday (about a week before mine was due) But, they would only start selling at 5pm .. and would not let me give a Visa # to reserve or tell me how many they would have. But, they would be TAX FREE in Delaware, so the full upgrade would only cost me a few more bucks.

F'it. I was not going to drive there only to find I was 11th in line on a 10 Pad allotment. Screw'm. ...I don't like places like Best Buy anyway, so I'm glad my money did not go there.

I don't mind my money making Steve Jobs & Co. even more rich, he's made my life pretty easy for the last 20yrs.

7. adamh10

adamh10
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    When you buy Apple products from Best Buy or any other reseller, all the money goes straight to Apple anyways.

Best Buy buys directly from Apple for the same price you and I would pay - Apple has no corporate or large quantity discount, so Best Buy makes no profit on Apple products.

They make their money on their service plans, geek squad, etc. and from other products.

8. Matth3w

Matth3w
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    And the fact that they've just gotten you to their store so now when you walk past all the accessories and whatnot, you remember "oh crap I need a new keyboard or headphones" or "let's see what new PC games are out" etc.

Free advertising basically...just takes up space in their store.

9. adamh10

adamh10
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Exactly. It increases their marketshare because it brings people to their stores and you're then more likely to go back there for other things.

10. 0002S

0002S
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    So is ordering from Apple and waiting 5-7 business days too much?