What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad won't Sync - too little space

Expatriate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trying to sync my iPad Air I get
upload_2018-3-22_14-29-1.png

How do I get space? How do I get to sync my iPad?

Thanks

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You might have to delete apps, or remove photos, to free up some space. There are two features that help. You’ll find it in the Settings app, in General - iPad Storage.
One of them is “Offload Unused Apps”, the other one’s “Optimize Photos”.
A5D35C7B-4FC7-45EC-AF34-F114BA09C5E8.png

OP
Expatriate

Expatriate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of them is “Offload Unused Apps”, the other one’s “Optimize Photos”.
Thanks Johanna
I enabled both of these and iPad Storage is now showing 8.5 GB of 16 GB used - but I still can't get a completed sync. The message I get now is
upload_2018-3-23_13-38-46.png

I went to AppStore and did a search for "Videos App" and for "TV App" and didn't find either.

I have uninstalled iTunes and installed again (12.7.3.46) and now I can't even find a way to tell iTunes where to look for my photos on my PC hard drive. Things are going backwards :(

What do I do now?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Johanna
I enabled both of these and iPad Storage is now showing 8.5 GB of 16 GB used - but I still can't get a completed sync. The message I get now is
View attachment 81435
I went to AppStore and did a search for "Videos App" and for "TV App" and didn't find either.

I have uninstalled iTunes and installed again (12.7.3.46) and now I can't even find a way to tell iTunes where to look for my photos on my PC hard drive. Things are going backwards :(

What do I do now?
If you reinstall the Videos app or TV app, iTunes will sync videos to your iPad, which will reduce storage space again. If you don‘t need them on your device, disable syncing, so that you don‘t get that popup again.

What exactly is the problem with iTunes? What happens when you connect your iPad?

OP
Expatriate

Expatriate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't re-install the Videos or TV apps because I can't find them in the AppStore. There is a thing called 'Apple TV' - do I install that?

Nothing happens when I plug in my iPad - I have to manually start iTunes which then proceeds to try to sync.

Once upon a time, a 'sync' meant that (along with whatever else goes on) the photos and home video snippets I have in a folder on my PC would be updated with those stored in 'Albums' in 'Photos' on the iPad. Now all these photos and stuff have gone from the iPad and iTunes shows no intent of putting them back again.

How do I get them back again and up to date?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't re-install the Videos or TV apps because I can't find them in the AppStore. There is a thing called 'Apple TV' - do I install that?

Nothing happens when I plug in my iPad - I have to manually start iTunes which then proceeds to try to sync.

Once upon a time, a 'sync' meant that (along with whatever else goes on) the photos and home video snippets I have in a folder on my PC would be updated with those stored in 'Albums' in 'Photos' on the iPad. Now all these photos and stuff have gone from the iPad and iTunes shows no intent of putting them back again.

How do I get them back again and up to date?
The Apple TV app you found is the replacement for the old Videos app that was used before iOS 11. You can download it and any iTunes video content synced to or downloaded to your iPad will play in that app.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
After backing up your iPad try restoring it and then set up the restored iPad from the iTunes backup.

OP
Expatriate

Expatriate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After backing up your iPad try restoring it and then set up the restored iPad from the iTunes backup.
That sounds great ... but I wish I knew what it means. What's the difference between 'restoring' it and setting it up from the backup? May I ask you to step-by-step the process you refer to?

OP
Expatriate

Expatriate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Finally got iPad up and running after 'Restore' late last night. What a hassle! :confused: Had to go to Apple Store in town to get iPad rescued from doing a good imitation of a brick at one stage. Anyway, it's up and running - but it still won't sync! o_O
It has a lot more storage available
upload_2018-3-25_8-19-4.png

but I still get
upload_2018-3-25_8-19-26.png

What are these "... items in the iTunes library ..." ? I don't have music or movies or such on the iPad. 13.64 GB of unknown data seems to be holding things up. How do I avoid this?

Actually, as I have said before, all I want to be able to do is load some pix of the grandkids and a few home-video snippets onto it. I used to do that from a folder on my PC via a sync.

Most reactions

Latest posts