What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad won't log in; other computers will

Evan2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Once a week, I go to a place of business, a new building with free Wi-Fi available to all. Everybody that I've met has been able to connect easily. In my case, only iPad owner, I clearly get a strong signal, but once I reach the page 'click for access' (no need for a PW) I get a blank login page. A bit embarrassing.

On ground level of the same building, there is a restaurant with free access through another network. iPad connects perfectly.

Could it be an issue only with the iPad?

Ant advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thks!

devis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I assume that page 'Click for access' comes up in Safari? If so, try another browser to see if that works.

I don't think this is possible due to Safari being the default browser. Even if you jailbreak it and select a different browser as the default, when it comes to WiFi sign in pages, Safari for some reason takes over.
And if you close that sign in window with the hopes to open up another browser and get redirected (like any other normal computer out there) it's no go cause the WiFi connection will drop. In other words, you're stuck with that stupid sign on page... the ease of use Apple envisioned for its customers in this case is the Red Sea. And I hear Moses uses only Android :)

But it's happened to me a lot at Tully's coffee shop. I'm there twice a day with my iPad, and I get the same blank page. The only thing I've found that works is to kill WiFi, get it back up then reconnect to the network. The second or third try the page comes up.

Last edited:
OP
E

Evan2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@devis thks, nice to know I'm not alone on this island. Yep, I indeed tried to turn the Wi-Fi off/on a few times. Nothing doing, that damn login page.

I guess the solution is to bring the laptop (kinda kill the purpose of the Pad), or get the iPad G3 next time (so frustrating to own only the Wi-Fi).

disastodrome

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had this problem with the wifi at my school. The fix is to turn off the autofill in your settings. I don't know why, but this fixes it.

OP
E

Evan2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@ disastodrome

thks for a possible solution. Going back to the aforementioned building next Tues. Yes indeed, a lot of "I don't know why" with the Pad ... fingers crossed, we'll let you know.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Could it be an issue only with the iPad?

I'll bet the login page uses Flash or ActiveX to run a login applet, and so the iPad isn't loading it. Are iPhone users having the same problem?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had the same problem at school- strong signal yet couldn't connect. The college IT guys told me to get this free app called AutoWifi. I don't know exactly how it worked, but it did/does. After install, you just have to launch the app (it can't connect on its own), it'll detect a signal, connect and off you go.

Worth a shot (for free), eh?

Good luck.

Marilyn

Flinthills

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We have wi-fi in the office and one iPad connected and mine did not. We found out that the wireless router we used was touchy and had a history of not being friendly to ipads and win7. We downloaded a software update for the router and the problem went away.

OP
E

Evan2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thks so much for the suggestions. Going back to that building on Tues, and will certainly try your tips. Hopefully, the recommendations of the 2 students will do (smart kids!). Too bad it's not a small office (downloading software update for one person - big building).

iPhones are not having the same problem.

Appreciated!

OP
E

Evan2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@ disastodrome

Kinda late, but thks a mil for your help. It worked. Only prob at this point is no multi-tasking - in the above-mentioned building, you need to keep the browser open for the connection to stay on. Whenever I leave Safari and come back, I need to tap on the 'access page' every single time.

ambiensse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.effigyblinds.co.uk
HiMickey
I added the free app autowifi lite but it doesn't work with my router and I now have and app I can't delete.
Anyone go any ideas?
At work we have a basic TP link which connects fine but at home I haev a Belkin router and virgin cable broadband - the iPad sees the vrign network but won't accept the password but it won't join the router home network at all

Most reactions