What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad won't load apps.

dsz071

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Threw some new books on the wife's iPad yesterday and updated to the current version of the software. No apps load now. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas. Tried rebooting/resetting it. Only thing I can think of now it to do a factory reset. Thanks in advance.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Threw some new books on the wife's iPad yesterday and updated to the current version of the software. No apps load now. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas. Tried rebooting/resetting it. Only thing I can think of now it to do a factory reset. Thanks in advance.

What exactly happens when you try to load an app - you touch the icon of the app on the iPad's Home screen; does anything at all happen? Is it the same for all apps - in particular I'm wondering about the iPad's 'stock' apps, such as Safari, Mail, Notes etc. If you have any folders containing apps can you open those folders?

When you open the multi-task bar (double tap the Home button) are any apps running? Can you close these apps (press and hold any icon until they jiggle, then press the 'X' in the top left-hand side of the app to close it)? When they've been closed, will they open successfully then?

Tim

OP
D

dsz071

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Stock apps are working just fine. When I try to open anything else, the app opens for about a half a second then closes.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Stock apps are working just fine. When I try to open anything else, the app opens for about a half a second then closes.

Did you try closing them in the multi-task bar? This is a common problem that Members seem to face when upgrading - not sure why but several have reported it. But closing the apps in the multi-task bar has worked on several occasions. You say you've already tried switching the iPad completely off and then on again - rather than just putting it to sleep - so that's one possible 'solution' out of the way, but closing the apps has worked OK for most people.

If you don't have too many apps, deleting and re-installing the apps is another way forward but if you're one of those people who have a large number of apps, then this won't be an attractive solution....:(

Tim

OP
D

dsz071

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I honestly don't know where the multi task bar is... Like I said, wife's ipad. I just use it to read a book every now and then. She thinks I screwed something up when I updated the ipad.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I honestly don't know where the multi task bar is... Like I said, wife's ipad. I just use it to read a book every now and then. She thinks I screwed something up when I updated the ipad.

Nothing is screwed up - you just need to close all the apps using the multi-task bar.

Double-tap the Home button and the top of the screen will slide upwards to reveal the multi-task bar at the bottom of the screen. There you'll see a row of icons that indicate the apps that are currently loaded. We need to close them all. Press and hold any one of the icons in the multi-task bar until they start to jiggle. Each icon will then have a 'X' symbol in its upper left hand corner. Press each 'X' and the corresponding apps will shut down completely. Do this for all the apps. Now touch the Home button and the multi-task bar will close.

Now you're back to the regular Home screen and you can try and open an app again. You should find that they will work OK this time.

Tim

OP
D

dsz071

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, now I'm fairly technologically efficient, but I'll be damned if I can find a Home button to double tap. I've looked countless times through each of the three side scrolling "pages" and I can't find it. If it's here and I'm just missing it, then I will proudly wear my dunce cap, but I can't see the damn Home button...

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Home button is the button at the bottom of the iPad, just above the Dock connector.

Tim

OP
D

dsz071

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's what you were talking about. My bad, I was looking for an icon on the screen. Unreal. OK, just did that and nothing has changed. The apps still don't load.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - so you went into the multi-task bar and manually closed all the apps.

Then you went back to the Home screen and tried to open the apps and they just briefly open and then close.

If you now open the multi-task bar again, is the app that you tried to open (and it then closed) showing in the multi-task bar? Of course, all the other apps that you closed should most definitely not be there (because you closed them) but I'm wondering whether the app that briefly opened is showing.

Tim

OP
D

dsz071

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, the icon is there again. Tried to close it again and go back and open it and nothing.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - let's raise the stakes....a reboot....

Press and hold at the same time the Home and Power buttons for a long time - could be as long as 20 seconds - until the white Apple logo appears. The iPad will then reboot. It takes a while, so have patience. When it's finished and you're back to the Home screen, try the apps again.

Good Luck.

Tim

OP
D

dsz071

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nope, same thing... Apparently I need more than luck.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - I need to think about this a little more. You've tried all the usual fixes.

One last thing - try un-installing an app and then re-install it. To delete an app, hold down any icon on the Home screen until they all start to jiggle. Then press the 'X' in the top left hand corner. A message will appear asking you to confirm that you want to delete this app and all of its data. Then go to the App Store and re-install the app and see if the problem persists.

You don't need to pay to re-install apps, but - in any case - try it with a free app, if you have any, or one you don't care too much about.

If you don't have any like that, then try installing a new free app - anything - and see if the problem persists.

Tim

dabuglam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Nothing is screwed up - you just need to close all the apps using the multi-task bar.

Double-tap the Home button and the top of the screen will slide upwards to reveal the multi-task bar at the bottom of the screen. There you'll see a row of icons that indicate the apps that are currently loaded. We need to close them all. Press and hold any one of the icons in the multi-task bar until they start to jiggle. Each icon will then have a 'X' symbol in its upper left hand corner. Press each 'X' and the corresponding apps will shut down completely. Do this for all the apps. Now touch the Home button and the multi-task bar will close.

Now you're back to the regular Home screen and you can try and open an app again. You should find that they will work OK this time.

Tim

Correspondingly, I got a '-' instead of 'X'. Is it the same?

Most reactions

Latest posts