iPad won't backup.

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by ceedeei, Aug 1, 2011.

1. ceedeei

ceedeei iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have had my ipad for about 18 months and never a problem with it. The last week it still syncs OK and I can buy apps and download too but when it comes to backup it says 'iTunes could not backup your ipad because a session could not be started'.

Any ideas anyone?

2. Jrs22

Jrs22 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I've been getting the message "backup couldn't be completed because IPad disconnected". I suspect the most recent update, because the same cable and USB port are working just fine for my IPod Touch. I've already uninstalled and reinstalled once. I'm looking forward to seeing what other responses you get.

3. richsadams

richsadams iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0
    Try deleting your current backup from iTunes, it may have gotten corrupted. Open iTunes > Preferences > Devices. Delete your iPad backup. Reboot your iPad (hold down the power button (outside corner of the iPad, not the round Home Button on the front) until the "Power off" slider appears. Let it shut down and then hold down the power button again until it fully boots back up. Reconnect your iPad to your computer, let it backup and sync in iTunes (initial backup may take a little time since it's full and not incremental) and see if that doesn't cure the problem.

4. Jrs22

Jrs22 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Is there a way to save the backup before deleting it?

5. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,060 / 0
    Sure, there's a way to save it. According to the Apple web site, iTunes stores your backups here:

Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

Windows Vista: \Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

Just navigate there, copy it and then put it somewhere else on your computer.

A word of caution, however. If you save the backup, and then delete the backup and then are able to successfully create a backup - it IS the old backup that was corrupted. So, saving it will be of no use, because it's no good (iTunes couldn't read/use it).

So, if this works, may I suggest you delete the backup you saved "just in case" - else you'll just be keeping "junk" on your computer...

Marilyn

6. ceedeei

ceedeei iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have tried the first part of your advice but there wasn't a backup to delete, the panel was empty. I then pressed down on the top button of the ipad until the slider appeared, moved it across to power off and the screen went blank except for a small rotating icon in the middle of the screen. It is still going now, half an hour later. I have just tried holding down the top button again but without any affect, the icon is still rotating on the blank screen as I type this.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  7. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,060 / 0
    Ah, your iPad's just stuck (that's a technical term, BTW :D).

Hold down both the sleep button and the Home button until the screen goes dark and then the white Apple logo appears. Then, release the buttons.

Don't worry if it seems to take a long time before you see either the logo or your homescreen. It will come back...

That might very well solve your backup problem, also. Try hooking it back up to iTunes after it finished re-booting.

Let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

8. ceedeei

ceedeei iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You hit the nail right on the head with your advice and my iPad is now acting normally and I have a backup shown in the device panel. Thanks very much indeed for your time and advice.
    All the best.
    Robert