What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad with used wireless keyboard problem

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I got a Apple wireless keyboard (the new one that takes two batteries) used on eBay and am trying to pair it with my iPad. When it first discovers it is says the name of however had it last, like "Steve Jobs Keyboard". The tiny light on the KB blinks twice, pauses blinks twice, pauses and so forth like I believe it should at this point. Then it tells me to type in a random four digit code and hit enter. After that, after trying reapeatedly, it says it was unsuccessful and make it sure the KB in within range and all that. I do not own a Mac (on Christmas day I'll have a Mini though) so I can not configure it as I saw done with the web troubleshooting search I did, could that be the problem?

Any ideas?
Thanks,
mike

PS...
I did search the forum about this and found no similar problems and that has me worried!

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad says to enter the code it shows me. and then hit enter. Not some random number. I believe the code was about 5 or 6 numbers long, I entered it and hit enter and all was well. The device is called simply "Apple Wireless Keyboard". I have paired mine with a MacBookPro and it called it the same thing. Don't know where that name came from, but, I would think it would still pair with the iPad as it is a BT wireless keyboard.

OP
totemynote

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad says to enter the code it shows me. and then hit enter. Not some random number. I believe the code was about 5 or 6 numbers long, I entered it and hit enter and all was well. The device is called simply "Apple Wireless Keyboard". I have paired mine with a MacBookPro and it called it the same thing. Don't know where that name came from, but, I would think it would still pair with the iPad as it is a BT wireless keyboard.

Oh when I said random number I meant it is a number the keyboard chooses but it's different every time I try to connect again and always only four numbers. The name that is on it is because I bought it used and whoever had it last didn't wipe it to factory settings.

But thanks for the response.

Last edited:

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been able to pair the MagicTrackpad with both my MBP and my PC as long as the unit that was not in use was turned off. Question??? Do you have another blue tooth enabled computer or device that is turned on? If so, turn it off or disable the BT software, and try again. Because I couldn't pair the MagicTrackpad with the computer, until I turned off BT on the iPad and the other computer. Worked like a charm then. The manual makes it sound like changing the name is just personalizing it, and shouldn't make any difference too operation.

Could be wrong, wouldn't be the one millionth time, but close.:)

OP
totemynote

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been able to pair the MagicTrackpad with both my MBP and my PC as long as the unit that was not in use was turned off. Question??? Do you have another blue tooth enabled computer or device that is turned on? If so, turn it off or disable the BT software, and try again. Because I couldn't pair the MagicTrackpad with the computer, until I turned off BT on the iPad and the other computer. Worked like a charm then. The manual makes it sound like changing the name is just personalizing it, and shouldn't make any difference too operation.

Could be wrong, wouldn't be the one millionth time, but close.:)

Heh, thanks Pocobear.

Yeah, I checked several sources, even an apple store employee and the fact that it has the previous owners name on it it doesn't matter. And we do have two iPads, two iPhones and two computers but I made sure they don't have BT on except the one I'm trying to pair.

It must be defective even though that seems so unlikely as the device recognizes it right away but then always unsuccessful after the code is put in. The eBay place I bought this from has an excellent track record so I'm sure I can get a refund. You know they have a high profile postings for Apple KB's, have hundreds of them used for $45.39 with free two day shipping and I'm sure I just happened to get a lemon. Eh, I guess I'll get a refund and just spring for a new one along with the Mac Mini I'm buying myself at Christmas. And a wireless track pad of course. I can't wait. I have a 42in flat screen and with the HDMI hook up on it it's gonna be awesome!

Karina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had great success w/my wireless keyboard. Although, since I've used it-maybe just a coincidence- my iPad keyboard doesn't always come up and I have to reboot. Any thoughts on that.

Most reactions

Latest posts