What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad with a mouse - I really need help

LawGuy2CrtU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a jailbroken iPad 3 running iOS 6.1.2. I am a quadriplegic with very limited use of my hands, and it would be impossible for me to navigate an iDevice without using a mouse. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to pair the iPad with a mouse, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong - or how to fix it.

Admittedly, I made a mistake in my first attempt to pair the mouse with the iPad. I downloaded and installed BTstack Mouse. I was actually able to successfully pair the device with the iPad, but the mouse pointer only worked on the app's disconnect screen. The mouse stopped working after entering the home screen of the iPad. I researched the issue and discovered that BTstack Mouse was not compatible with the iOS I was running. I uninstalled the app.

In its place, I purchased, downloaded and installed BTC Mouse & Trackpad. It's my understanding that this is a mouse-enabling app compatible with iOS 6. It seems to be installed correctly. In setting >> bluetooth, I see the footer that says “Extensions: BTC Mouse & Trackpad†to show that it’s installed and activated. But when I make my bluetooth mouse discoverable, it does not show up in the list of devices I can connect to. In fact, the list is empty and the iPad continues to say searching for devices. I have attempted to connect both a Logitech Rechargeable Trackpad for Mac and a Microsoft Wedge Touch Mouse.

I don't know what's wrong, and I don't know where to begin to troubleshoot the problem. I am frustrated and disappointed that I am still unable to use my iPad. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts, advice or input you could give to help resolve this huge problem for me. I will try to provide any additional information that might be helpful.

Many thanks... David

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's best to use the Apple Magic Mouse or Trackpad. They will run you a little more compared to many traditional or well-known wireless mice, but they're naturally compatible. Or, you can try the Rii Mini. It's extremely universal with TVs, many netbook/laptops, mobile devices, and the list goes on. It's essentially a mini keyboard + touchpad.

I've had a list of naturally compatible mice stored somewhere, I'll see if I can find it for more alternatives. BTstack itself is a great tweak, but it's not a guaranteed compatibility link for a lot of mice.

Last edited:
OP
L

LawGuy2CrtU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's best to use the Apple Magic Mouse or Trackpad. They will run you a little more compared to many traditional or well-known wireless mice, but they're naturally compatible. Or, you can try the Rii Mini. It's extremely universal with TVs, many netbook/laptops, mobile devices, and the list goes on. It's essentially a mini keyboard + touchpad.

I've had a list of naturally compatible mice stored somewhere, I'll see if I can find it for more alternatives. BTstack itself is a great tweak, but it's not a guaranteed compatibility link for a lot of mice.

Willerz2,

Thanks for your reply. So it sounds like it's likely I'm simply having a compatibility issue with the bluetooth devices I've chosen? That would be discouraging without your suggestion of other probable options I could use. I just looked up the RII Mini Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard with Touchpad, and the touchpad seems so small that I could probably operate it with my minimal reach. I am going to give it a try. Thanks so much! David

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's possible. Through my experience, I've been through quite a few mice, and it ended with a mice that I didn't like very much (borrowed it from a friend after he bought it to test) that worked with BTstack, and my current mice that I occasionally use (Magic Mouse). The Rii's touchpad is roughly 2 larger thumbs in size, so if you're used to a laptop/netbook touchpad, it's almost identical. Hopefully it's what you're looking for :)

OP
L

LawGuy2CrtU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's possible. Through my experience, I've been through quite a few mice, and it ended with a mice that I didn't like very much (borrowed it from a friend after he bought it to test) that worked with BTstack, and my current mice that I occasionally use (Magic Mouse). The Rii's touchpad is roughly 2 larger thumbs in size, so if you're used to a laptop/netbook touchpad, it's almost identical. Hopefully it's what you're looking for :)

I'm actually using BTC Mouse & Trackpad and not BTstack, but at this point I'm willing to experiment with different mice.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
BTC Mouse and Trackpad should work well with many mice. It should play nice with most Bluetooth 2.0 mice.

OP
L

LawGuy2CrtU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BTC Mouse and Trackpad should work well with many mice. It should play nice with most Bluetooth 2.0 mice.

I am going to try the Rii, but assuming that it's not a mouse compatibility issue, what would you look into next? Are there any type of diagnostic apps that could be useful?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you can use a mouse, you're probably not overly interested in the Switch Control accessibility option, but in case you did not know, and because it might be of use to you, perhaps in combination with a mouse: iOS: Using Switch Control

That's about all I know on the subject, but it is a starting point if you find it worth pursuing.

OP
L

LawGuy2CrtU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you can use a mouse, you're probably not overly interested in the Switch Control accessibility option, but in case you did not know, and because it might be of use to you, perhaps in combination with a mouse: iOS: Using Switch Control

That's about all I know on the subject, but it is a starting point if you find it worth pursuing.

I did not know about this option, and it might be useful in combination with a mouse - especially for dragging an item across the screen (like placing a letter in a scrabble game). Thank you for this information!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem.

I believe the description I linked was for iOS 7, but Switch Control is present in iOS 6 too, though all the features might not be.

Good luck.

OP
L

LawGuy2CrtU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an update for you. Today I received the Rii Touch 330 Bluetooth Keyboard & Touchpad. I charged it and was able to connect it via bluetooth to the iPad. But, and this is a huge but, the touchpad did not work. However, I was able to type using the keyboard. This pretty much determines that my problem is with BTC Mouse and Trackpad, right?

Just to experiment, I uninstalled BTC Mouse and Trackpad and rebooted the iPad. I was still able to connect and use the keyboard, but obviously not the touchpad. I then reinstalled BTC Mouse and Trackpad, but I still had no mouse functionality.

Is there a reason this app would simply not work on my iPad? Is there a different alternative I could try instead? Could it be a problem with Cydia?.... I am at a dead end again. Please share any thoughts or suggestions how I might move forward. Thanks.

Alucard77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an update for you. Today I received the Rii Touch 330 Bluetooth Keyboard & Touchpad. I charged it and was able to connect it via bluetooth to the iPad. But, and this is a huge but, the touchpad did not work. However, I was able to type using the keyboard. This pretty much determines that my problem is with BTC Mouse and Trackpad, right?

Just to experiment, I uninstalled BTC Mouse and Trackpad and rebooted the iPad. I was still able to connect and use the keyboard, but obviously not the touchpad. I then reinstalled BTC Mouse and Trackpad, but I still had no mouse functionality.

Is there a reason this app would simply not work on my iPad? Is there a different alternative I could try instead? Could it be a problem with Cydia?.... I am at a dead end again. Please share any thoughts or suggestions how I might move forward. Thanks.

Just wondering if there was ever a resolution to this. I have the Rii Mini and am having the same issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

whodaman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just wondering if there was ever a resolution to this. I have the Rii Mini and am having the same issue. Any help would be appreciated.

I've used this app successfully for some time on my ipad2 CDMA with a Bluetooth keyboard and an apple Mighty Mouse. Not sure what problem you were having before the new jailbreak. However, the BTC Mouse & Trackpad is not ios 7 compatible at this time. The author has stated that he hopes to have it fully functioning via Twitter by the end of the month. It's really an awesome tweak that I used constantly before the new jailbreak. Like most tweaks at this early stage of the new JB, we just have to wait for the coders to catch up.

Alucard77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, I should have been a lot more specific, so that is my fault.

I am on the iPad1 iOS 5.1.1 at this point. I didn't even bother testing it on the iOS7 jailbreak. So the iPad1 with iOS 5.1.1 is not working with the Rii Mini for me.

The funny thing is, I went to look for a Bluetooth mouse yesterday, and I cannot find them any longer! I went to 6 seperate stores! I mean I can order on line, but I just wanted to test it and return it. Logitech switched to their dumb proprietary technology and all the other mice were all RF mice. Pretty crazy.

Most reactions

Latest posts