What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad will not login to library wifi

Mr. Ected

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

Can't login to my library wifi. It is different than most other networks in that it asks for a login and password using it's own screen. I don't believe that it is Flash because I have connected to the network before.

The network seems to not have any difficulty with Apple iPhones and other Apple products.

I am an extreme newbie, I have only had my iPad for less than a month.

For anyone with local knowledge, I am referring to a Loudoun County, VA library.

TIA!!

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I assume by "different" you mean the library is using a captive portal to control access. This is actually quite common, used in hotels, airports, and hot-spots all over the place it is used.

If it is a captive portal, try this. Connect to the library's WiFi. Then open Safari. Open a new Safari page, not an existing page. Search for something in the search box... anything will do. It should load up the library's login page. Login, or agree to the terms, and you should be OK.

Michael

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife is a library branch manager, but unfortunately not in your system. Look for the woman wearing "sensible" shoes, with her hair in a bun and wearing her glasses on a chain around her neck and I guarantee you that is the person in charge! (I hope my wife doesn't read this!) Have you asked one of them for help? They live for this kind of thing!

kc2ped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The New York Public Library also uses a captive portal system where you have to click on a button on the splash screen before you get redirected to where you want to go.

The first time I used the library network I had to go into settings to join the network so I could get my email. But after joining the network I appeared to be offline. Eventually I launched Safari and found the library's captive portal page.

Once you know you are connected to the network try launching Safari and see if you see the library's captive portal page. If Safari shows you the last page you were on at home or another home page you may have to open a blank browser page to get to the portal (click the icon that looks like a page partially covering another page which is between the right arrow and the book icon). Then you should be fully connected and able to browse, get email or spend money in the app store.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

meinhoonna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are referring to the issue where you are not able to connect to wifi from settings then I was in the same situation until a minute ago. I tried clicking on the name of wifi and it would error out but then I "double clicked" (two simultaneous touch) and it connected.

Not sure if that's the fix but wanted to share

mrtonyle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. I was just wondering if you have also tried this with firmware 4.2.1?

Thanks

The New York Public Library also uses a captive portal system where you have to click on a button on the splash screen before you get redirected to where you want to go.

The first time I used the library network I had to go into settings to join the network so I could get my email. But after joining the network I appeared to be offline. Eventually I launched Safari and found the library's captive portal page.

Once you know you are connected to the network try launching Safari and see if you see the library's captive portal page. If Safari shows you the last page you were on at home or another home page you may have to open a blank browser page to get to the portal (click the icon that looks like a page partially covering another page which is between the right arrow and the book icon). Then you should be fully connected and able to browse, get email or spend money in the app store.
Hope this helps.

mrtonyle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. I was just wondering if you have also tried this with firmware 4.2.1? I've been trying all day and couldn't get this to work....

Thanks in advance!

Most reactions

Latest posts