What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad WIFI & iPad WIFI+3G

ipadlovva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What are the differences between these two?

does the normal WIFI not have a micro sd card slot? or do they both have card slots?

can a normal ipod charger charge an iPad?

on the packages does it say WIFI and with the 3G does that say WIFI+3G?

Thanks for any help!!

lifevicarious

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What are the differences between these two?

does the normal WIFI not have a micro sd card slot? or do they both have card slots?

can a normal ipod charger charge an iPad?

on the packages does it say WIFI and with the 3G does that say WIFI+3G?

Thanks for any help!!

One has 3G, one doesn't.

Neither have SD card slots. Only the 3G has a slot for a SIM.

Either cable will charge from the computer, assuming your USB is powerful enough (most are not).

In the US, the only difference in the package is it says 3G on the back.

OP
I

ipadlovva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
right, i see. So the normal wifi does not have no sim slots whatsoever?.

Ok, thanks for that!!

mcbrew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The SIM card I'd only for the 3G service (like a cell phone), so there is no reason that a wifi model would have a sim slot.

Basically, if you want to be able to use the Internet or GPS away from home or another wifi hotspot, then go for the 3G model. You have to pay weekly or monthly for 3G service, but only when you want to use it. Otherwise, it works just like a wifi model.

AlexanderHC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The 3G also has a gps chip and the wifi does not.

The WiFi one, has a GPS chip too.
Update: I was wrong. Wifi only model, does not have a GPS chip, but can determine your approximate location via Skyhook WiFi positioning. The 3G model has true GPS. Sorry about that. Just seemed strange (for me) that it could find my location so accurate ;)

The only difference from the wifi only model to the 3G, is that the 3G can use the Mobile Carrier network for internet, and the wifi only needs a wifi hotspot to access the internet, which means you cant use it on the go.

Last edited:

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AlexanderHC said:
The WiFi one, has a GPS chip too.

The only difference from the wifi only model to the 3G, is that the 3G can use the Mobile Carrier network for internet, and the wifi only needs a wifi hotspot to access the internet, which means you cant use it on the go.

You sure about this? My understanding was only the 3G has a real GPS chip and the WiFi model has to be connected to a network to work out your location.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The 3G model is the only one that has the GPS chip. The wifi model can do a location estimate, but it is not accurate and is inconsistent.

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The 3G also has a different back to allow for improved 3G connection.

Most reactions

Latest posts