What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad Wifi Bridge conection

torombolo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, I have a new Ipad 16Gb, Wifi, I have no problem Tethering with my wifes Iphone and Mywi, but is there a way I can use my LapTop as a bridge with my wireless card? I don't allways have Wifi signal available.

Thanks

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you're asking can you use your laptop connection for the ipad, yes you can. If you have windows 7 look into a free program (for laptop not iPad) called connectify. If older windows versions set up an adhoc connection. Connectify turns your laptop into a hotspot. If you have a Mac someone else has to answer. ;)

OP
T

torombolo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Brenn thanks for your elp, one thing tough my laptop is running win vista and I'm technologicaly no good, could you elavorate a little more? how or what is an adhoc connection?

thanks

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try connectify program it might work with vista.Its very simple to use, easier than trying to configure ad hoc

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Connectify is Windows 7 only. On Vista you have to do Internet Connection Sharing and the lovely ad hoc connection that wants to delete itself "once last connection disconnects."

But I have done that on Vista when at hotels or places that only offered Wired Ethernet Internet access. It does work. Connectify on Win 7 is sooooo much better though.

Michael

OP
T

torombolo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you, I tried it a few minutes ago, did set up the ad hoc, password enable did find it with the iPad but could not log in. Any ideas???

Last edited:
OP
T

torombolo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, still not working any ideas on what im I doing wrong?

Thanks

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try it first without password. Get it to work first... then try simple WEP for securing it.

Michael

OP
T

torombolo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HELP :( this is what I did:
Created the hoc connection open (no authentication) found it with the Ipad and connected. The ipad shows the signal bars on top but safary and everything shouws not connected to internet. what Im I doing wrong now?

Thanks again

ArcticRed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Further to this, I'm a new member/ipad user and have loaded connectify and the ipad and PC shows connected. How can I use it?
I cannot get internet connection from the ipadeither

AR

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well your pc needs to have an Internet connection itself, then connectify shares that connection as a wifi hotspot. So you set up connectify with a name and password, then on iPad go to settings and wifi and log onto the hotspot you created.

If your pc isnt already connected to Internet and/or doesn't have it's own wifi (done or built in) it won't have anything to share.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need more information to help. For starters, what exactly was "wireless card" in the first post? If you meant 3G wireless card then you must share THAT connection with the laptop's built-in WiFi.

I'm also not sure what you did to create the ad hoc network. You need to explicitly share one connection to the other.

Michael

ArcticRed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No internet connection with iPad

Good morning (well it is here).
Thanks for the further comments.

In my case I have a connection between iPad + PC. I can connect using connectify and local stuff. In both cases there is no internet connection on the ipad. If you click on the PC to show connections it shows both "mobile broadband" internet connection and the wireless link (to ipad) but also states "no internet access" on the wireless connection

Thanks AR

Most reactions

Latest posts