What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Waking By Itself

Wokiebear

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I could not find this in my search...sorry if it's there. But just noticed yesterday my iPad 3, JB, is randomly awaking on its own. I have turned off all notifications. E-mail is scheduled to be manual. It stays on only briefly, but there is a little emblem that blinks by the BT symbol that looks like a checkmark with a detached dot above the left arm (so to speak). What program would this be related to? I don't know how to find out. It's a gremlin! It doesn't do it when WiFi is turned off. I don't have the cellular going, just from my router. I have BT turned off now to see if it's one of my devices that could be doing this. It only happens in my home office, not when I have it in the back...so I'm thinking maybe one of the BT devices that I didn't turn off, but is in sleep mode??? I have several things I use with BT. All my accessories are stored in my home office when not in use.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It could be BT. I had a similar problem a year ago: My iPad would "spontaneously" start playing the same song until I became more mindful about turning off BT on my iPad.

OP
W

Wokiebear

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It came back on even with BT off, but didn't have the blinking checkmark symbol at the top. Never comes on when I have WiFi off...Weird! Last 2 hours, I laid it down with the smart cover closed, hasn't come back on or making any sounds. iPad is not like your PC where you can see what processes are running, giving you grief. It reminds me of when I first got my first iPhone, and I had an app that took over the DH's TV remote. He thought it was broken. I didn't tell him for weeks what I did. I almost couldn't enjoy my hijacking for trying not to roll on the floor laughing at the antics. I digress...

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wokiebear said:
It came back on even with BT off, but didn't have the blinking checkmark symbol at the top. Never comes on when I have WiFi off...Weird! Last 2 hours, I laid it down with the smart cover closed, hasn't come back on or making any sounds. iPad is not like your PC where you can see what processes are running, giving you grief. It reminds me of when I first got my first iPhone, and I had an app that took over the DH's TV remote. He thought it was broken. I didn't tell him for weeks what I did. I almost couldn't enjoy my hijacking for trying not to roll on the floor laughing at the antics. I digress...

Lol. I'm curious as to what the solution is.

OP
W

Wokiebear

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think I finally found it. I had forgotten I had watched a YouTube app about iMacs. The YouTube app was still in the taskbar below. I had literally turned everything off, and my iPad was charging very slow, meaning it was still running itself. Machine felt warm like after watching a movie. I had forgotten to kill the running apps, thinking I had used SBSettings to do it all at once. Anyway, Killing the YouTube app made the check mark quit blinking but was still there. Did a hard reset, it's gone now. I do believe that was the culprit that was caught in a loop somehow.

Most reactions