What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad vs laptop

Reaction score
Question; what app is good for uploading files onto websites? Ex:I wanted to register with am employer but needed to be able to upload my resume.I ended up doing it on my phone browser but that tiny screen isn't easy to work with sometimes, all the side scrolling on full sites gets cumbersome.
Thank you

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agreed! I don't have the 3G, but if I was on the constant run without access to free Wifi most of the time, I would have the 3G. In my case, it's not as needed, though I wouldn't have minded either. (my iPhone becomes my backup) But being able to just turn iPad on from standby-no boot up time is awesome. Type notes, handwrite notes, whatever I want is just great, and no worry that the battery will drain, and just like you said-no glancing around for outlets!

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
However, if all you use a computer for is emails, browsing, watch media.... then an iPad can certainly take the place of a Laptop.

The iPad is the computer equivalent of the Smart Fortwo - it's detractors will quickly give you a laundry list of its shortcomings, but when you dig deeper you discover that 95% of the time it does everything they need.

I guess it all depends on the user. I have found that my iPad cannot do 95% of what I use my laptop for, so I have a completely different view of it. I do find that for the things I use my iPad for, it is at least 95% more enjoyable!

Allergic2life

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had my iPad for 6 months now, and don't want to live without it. I've never been a fan of Apple so when I purchased my iPad, I made a deal with myself to dive in 100% with Steve Job's vision and his latest toy. I knew it would never be more than a big mp3 player that set next to me while I was on my laptop working.

But a deal is a deal... I started off day 1 using it for everything I could. I locked up my USB drives, put away my spreadsheets, swept the cobwebs out of my barely used box.net account... Then I started downloading apps, 100's of then. By topic, free ones first, and then used them long enough to compare. I learned that I hated the AppStore (still do), but I soon found my life revolving around this incredible tool!

Does this equal my laptop - for 75% YES! Can I build new macros for my spreadsheets? No, not yet. is it easier to use? For somethings... But without a keyboard or mouse... It is limited. BUT can I use this any moment of the day, YES! Do I miss spending 10 minutes just to boot up and get into outlook, nope! Is my job easier now that I have my entire office wherever I go. I still need to use my laptop for some of the heavy lifting, but only for specific tasks now.

And I just got back from my first business trip where I left my bulky laptop and bag at home and worked entirely from my iPad! This is as big as when we left behind our floppy disks for the internet. Sorry guys, but this is the future... Learn it, live it or get left behind.

SusiBiker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't buy it straight away because I seriously couldn't see a use for it. I thought it a pointless purchase.
I needed an always-available email and web browser. I bought one.
I use it every day, for hours a day. I listen to podcasts, watch movies, browse the web, use it as a jukebox as well as many other uses. Don't know how I got by without it. Awesome. Just awesome.

Laptop? Just doesn't compare. Too slow to start, too big, bad battery life. The only thing that I've personally find that comes close is my HTC Desire phone.

Last edited:

realistdreamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At work my laptop is a desktop replacement and on the go (in office) my iPad2 will be a laptop replacement. When truly traveling, I'll probably take both because I wouldn't want to be caught without the laptop. For meeting notes, emails and information consumption, iPad seems fine.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
realistdreamer said:
At work my laptop is a desktop replacement and on the go (in office) my iPad2 will be a laptop replacement. When truly traveling, I'll probably take both because I wouldn't want to be caught without the laptop. For meeting notes, emails and information consumption, iPad seems fine.

Yep and yep! Same here.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

tiggerlove

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought my MacBook pro and then my iPad and I have to admit I use my iPad more that I do my laptop but as said there are something's that the iPad can't do but the iPad gets 95% more use

mikejohn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think both have their purpose. I would rather have an iPod and laptop versus just an iPad. I know it does more than an iPod, but for the most part they both do the same things I need them to, where on my laptop I have a bunch of software I can't get on an iPad, and much larger storage space.

Sk1zb1t

iPF Noob
Reaction score
depends what you wanna do mate! i had this same dilemma. ended up goin for ipad cos i could get the zaggmate w/keyboard case for typing for word processing etc. plus jailbreak for that extra something. n u can't beat the touch/swipe side of things either, plus whole new world of gaming if that's what you're into

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPads have supplanted my laptop for many uses, but not everything. Each user's uses will vary.

mjaanbutt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I only want a laptop to play games, draw and make videos. Is it maybe better that I get an Ipad if you you need extra details just comment and ill add on to the question.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have a quad core desktop Windows system with dual monitors and a quad core 15" laptop, also with dual monitors when I'm at my desk. Need both for my work and my iPad cannot replace either one. That's especially true when I work with large spreadsheets and/or database applications.

Nor is the iPad sufficient for media when I compare it to either my desktop or my laptop with large monitors and a good set of speakers.

On the other hand, the iPad combined with a bluetooth keyboard and the Origami Workstation keyboard cover/iPad stand has replaced an 11" HP netbook I've used when I'm traveling for the last couple of years. (My desktop replacement laptop is simply too large to use when I'm crammed into a middle seat in coach.)

Thus, at least for me, the appropriate comparison is between a netbook (or perhaps an ultraportable laptop) and the iPad. Each has advantages.

() My iPad is lighter and easier to set up on a plane (even with the Apple Wireless keyboard) than my netbook.

() The battery life of the iPad is a godsend on a long flight. Any flight longer than 3 hours becomes dicey with the netbook unless I'm careful. (Some ultraportables are better on that score, but you pay for that technology.) I never have to worry about the iPad even with Bluetooth turned on.

() Interface. The iPad wins hands down. I hate trackpads so I'm forced to use a mouse with the netbook. Another object to fit on the tiny table at my seat in coach.

() I prefer the iPad's display even with its lower resolution to my netbook. The latter is better for spreadsheet work but only marginally so and the fact that I can put the iPad in either portrait or landscape makes it more flexible than my 1366x768 netbook display. So for email or word processing, the iPad wins.

() Keyboard. The netbook has a real keyboard. It's certainly better than the virtual keyboard on the iPad, but the Apple wireless keyboard is far superior to the rather cramped and less than stellar built-in netbook keyboard. Advantage: iPad w/ wireless keyboard. And if I don't need a keyboard I don't even pull it out of the bag.

() All in all, the fact that my netbook runs Windows7 simplifies access to Windows software, including Office. The iPad can use Documents To Go or Quick Office but each suffers from occasional compatibility issues with "genuine" Office documents. Fortunately, I don't have to rely on either the netbook or the iPad for serious work, but if I did, I'd have to give the netbook a plus.

() The fact that Windows 7 is a true multitasking OS and supports access to the file system is another netbook advantage. I still find it puzzling and frustrating to use the iPad as a "real" computer rather than a giant smartphone (without the phone.) On the other hand, booting the iPad takes seconds, not minutes. And again, I don't have to multitask much when I'm in the air and the iPad's limited multitasking is sufficient to listen to music while I answer emails or write a memo.

() My netbook has an external dvd player, an advantage if I want to grab a movie from the home library on the way out the door. But since the dvd player isn't built into the netbook, it takes up extra space on the tiny table in my coach seat. With the iPad I have to take the extra steps to convert and load a dvd into internal storage. Advantage to the netbook but not a dealbreaker.

() Cost. This is tricky. My netbook with a 360 gig hard disk and 2 gigs of memory was about $500 including the external DVD player. That's significantly less expensive than my $700 wifi only 64 gig iPad 2. On the other hand, a highly capable ultraportable with a SSD may run twice the price of the iPad. If I had to rely on a device for both the iPad's capabilities AND a full-fledged laptop, I definitely would not have purchased the iPad. But there simply isn't an ultraportable under $2000 that could compete with my 15" laptop. And even then, it doesn't measure up "specwise" to the laptop and it's not as portable as the iPad.

() Finally, there's one feature of the iPad that I haven't mentioned. I purchased it in part to share with my six year old daughter. She loves to play games and use it for the educational software I've added. On that score, no laptop can compete. And since I don't use the iPad for serious work, I can let her play to her heart's content without worry. In short, I can't "share" my laptop with my daughter, but I can share the iPad and that's a "priceless" advantage.

The bottom line is that some people may find an iPad to be an adequate laptop replacement. I don't. But it has so many unique features that it does fill a niche for me that no other device provides. And considering the drop in "netbook" sales and the softness of the "ultraportable" market, I'm apparently not alone.

Rog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Comparing a laptop to an iPad to me is like comparing a lawn mower to a weedeater. Both were created for different purposes. I wouldn't trim around my mailbox with a lawn mower and although I could cut my lawn with a weedeater I don't think it would be much fun.

I try to never use my home computers to do work for my employer. The iPad is perfect for me and I think it is perfect for most people.

I've recommended the iPad to tons of my friends for these reasons:

It's light
Instant on (no bootup)
Prepaid 3G access without commitment ( if you need it)
Simple interface
Long battery life
Tons of apps
The email app is the bomb
It is a perfect traveling companion
The app sandboxing provides a level of security

Can it replace a much heavier laptop that you do work on......probably no and it may never replace it.

Can it replace a laptop you use for email, web browsing and storing photos........Does that and much more and does more all the time.

I wouldn't buy a weedeater and complain that is does a crappy job cutting my lawn.

If you want to go vacation and need to bring your lap anchor go for it. if you want to do work on vacation that's your problem.

For most people I know, the PCs and Laptops they own are overkill for what they really use them for.

This article does represent the opinion of the author.

2 kinds of people in this world, those who own an iPad and those who wished they did.

I'll probably buy an Andypad too.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

johnl316

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am sitting here at a friends house writing this using my iPad instead of their laptop because they took it on vacation with them and I am housesitting. I am so used to using their laptop while I am here but I have learned to make do with my iPad. Yes there are lots of things that I can't do with my iPad. I had to restore my app etc that I brought over for the week but had to go back home to do it earlier today because there is no computer here other than my iPad.

Most reactions