Ipad vs laptop

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Demandarin, Mar 7, 2011.

1. realistdreamer

realistdreamer iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    At work my laptop is a desktop replacement and on the go (in office) my iPad2 will be a laptop replacement. When truly traveling, I'll probably take both because I wouldn't want to be caught without the laptop. For meeting notes, emails and information consumption, iPad seems fine.
  2. Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Yep and yep! Same here.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF
  3. tiggerlove

tiggerlove iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I bought my MacBook pro and then my iPad and I have to admit I use my iPad more that I do my laptop but as said there are something's that the iPad can't do but the iPad gets 95% more use
  4. mikejohn

mikejohn iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think both have their purpose. I would rather have an iPod and laptop versus just an iPad. I know it does more than an iPod, but for the most part they both do the same things I need them to, where on my laptop I have a bunch of software I can't get on an iPad, and much larger storage space.
  5. Sk1zb1t

Sk1zb1t iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    depends what you wanna do mate! i had this same dilemma. ended up goin for ipad cos i could get the zaggmate w/keyboard case for typing for word processing etc. plus jailbreak for that extra something. n u can't beat the touch/swipe side of things either, plus whole new world of gaming if that's what you're into
  6. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    My iPads have supplanted my laptop for many uses, but not everything. Each user's uses will vary.
  7. mjaanbutt

mjaanbutt iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I only want a laptop to play games, draw and make videos. Is it maybe better that I get an Ipad if you you need extra details just comment and ill add on to the question.
  8. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    Have a quad core desktop Windows system with dual monitors and a quad core 15" laptop, also with dual monitors when I'm at my desk. Need both for my work and my iPad cannot replace either one. That's especially true when I work with large spreadsheets and/or database applications.

Nor is the iPad sufficient for media when I compare it to either my desktop or my laptop with large monitors and a good set of speakers.

On the other hand, the iPad combined with a bluetooth keyboard and the Origami Workstation keyboard cover/iPad stand has replaced an 11" HP netbook I've used when I'm traveling for the last couple of years. (My desktop replacement laptop is simply too large to use when I'm crammed into a middle seat in coach.)

Thus, at least for me, the appropriate comparison is between a netbook (or perhaps an ultraportable laptop) and the iPad. Each has advantages.

() My iPad is lighter and easier to set up on a plane (even with the Apple Wireless keyboard) than my netbook.

() The battery life of the iPad is a godsend on a long flight. Any flight longer than 3 hours becomes dicey with the netbook unless I'm careful. (Some ultraportables are better on that score, but you pay for that technology.) I never have to worry about the iPad even with Bluetooth turned on.

() Interface. The iPad wins hands down. I hate trackpads so I'm forced to use a mouse with the netbook. Another object to fit on the tiny table at my seat in coach.

() I prefer the iPad's display even with its lower resolution to my netbook. The latter is better for spreadsheet work but only marginally so and the fact that I can put the iPad in either portrait or landscape makes it more flexible than my 1366x768 netbook display. So for email or word processing, the iPad wins.

() Keyboard. The netbook has a real keyboard. It's certainly better than the virtual keyboard on the iPad, but the Apple wireless keyboard is far superior to the rather cramped and less than stellar built-in netbook keyboard. Advantage: iPad w/ wireless keyboard. And if I don't need a keyboard I don't even pull it out of the bag.

() All in all, the fact that my netbook runs Windows7 simplifies access to Windows software, including Office. The iPad can use Documents To Go or Quick Office but each suffers from occasional compatibility issues with "genuine" Office documents. Fortunately, I don't have to rely on either the netbook or the iPad for serious work, but if I did, I'd have to give the netbook a plus.

() The fact that Windows 7 is a true multitasking OS and supports access to the file system is another netbook advantage. I still find it puzzling and frustrating to use the iPad as a "real" computer rather than a giant smartphone (without the phone.) On the other hand, booting the iPad takes seconds, not minutes. And again, I don't have to multitask much when I'm in the air and the iPad's limited multitasking is sufficient to listen to music while I answer emails or write a memo.

() My netbook has an external dvd player, an advantage if I want to grab a movie from the home library on the way out the door. But since the dvd player isn't built into the netbook, it takes up extra space on the tiny table in my coach seat. With the iPad I have to take the extra steps to convert and load a dvd into internal storage. Advantage to the netbook but not a dealbreaker.

() Cost. This is tricky. My netbook with a 360 gig hard disk and 2 gigs of memory was about $500 including the external DVD player. That's significantly less expensive than my $700 wifi only 64 gig iPad 2. On the other hand, a highly capable ultraportable with a SSD may run twice the price of the iPad. If I had to rely on a device for both the iPad's capabilities AND a full-fledged laptop, I definitely would not have purchased the iPad. But there simply isn't an ultraportable under $2000 that could compete with my 15" laptop. And even then, it doesn't measure up "specwise" to the laptop and it's not as portable as the iPad.

() Finally, there's one feature of the iPad that I haven't mentioned. I purchased it in part to share with my six year old daughter. She loves to play games and use it for the educational software I've added. On that score, no laptop can compete. And since I don't use the iPad for serious work, I can let her play to her heart's content without worry. In short, I can't "share" my laptop with my daughter, but I can share the iPad and that's a "priceless" advantage.

The bottom line is that some people may find an iPad to be an adequate laptop replacement. I don't. But it has so many unique features that it does fill a niche for me that no other device provides. And considering the drop in "netbook" sales and the softness of the "ultraportable" market, I'm apparently not alone.
  9. Rog

Rog iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Comparing a laptop to an iPad to me is like comparing a lawn mower to a weedeater. Both were created for different purposes. I wouldn't trim around my mailbox with a lawn mower and although I could cut my lawn with a weedeater I don't think it would be much fun.

I try to never use my home computers to do work for my employer. The iPad is perfect for me and I think it is perfect for most people.

I've recommended the iPad to tons of my friends for these reasons:

It's light
    Instant on (no bootup)
    Prepaid 3G access without commitment ( if you need it)
    Simple interface
    Long battery life
    Tons of apps
    The email app is the bomb
    It is a perfect traveling companion
    The app sandboxing provides a level of security

Can it replace a much heavier laptop that you do work on......probably no and it may never replace it.

Can it replace a laptop you use for email, web browsing and storing photos........Does that and much more and does more all the time.

I wouldn't buy a weedeater and complain that is does a crappy job cutting my lawn.

If you want to go vacation and need to bring your lap anchor go for it. if you want to do work on vacation that's your problem.

For most people I know, the PCs and Laptops they own are overkill for what they really use them for.

This article does represent the opinion of the author.

2 kinds of people in this world, those who own an iPad and those who wished they did.

I'll probably buy an Andypad too.

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  10. johnl316

johnl316 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I am sitting here at a friends house writing this using my iPad instead of their laptop because they took it on vacation with them and I am housesitting. I am so used to using their laptop while I am here but I have learned to make do with my iPad. Yes there are lots of things that I can't do with my iPad. I had to restore my app etc that I brought over for the week but had to go back home to do it earlier today because there is no computer here other than my iPad.
  11. info

info iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    After purchasing my iPad, I find that I just don't like my laptop anymore. :)
  12. mannyberrios

mannyberrios iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Yes sir! iPad 3 is the best
  13. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    This is a really old thread.....but...we now have a new iPad with killer resolution....and the cloud is here...so I think the question bears new considerations.

First, the iPad, for me, will never replace my laptop or my desktop. I'm an engineering and there are things I need to do on Wintel that I just can't do on my iPad. But that doesn't mean that they iPad can't serve as my laptop sometimes.

Now, with the retina display, real 4G that is fast, and cloud applications like Onlive Desktop Plus, one can do a lot more on an iPad than in prior years. One can use real office applications on a fast 4G or Wifi connection, while looking at a high resolution screen. For a lot of folks, this is enough to send a laptop into the dust bin. I like it because the iPad is so light and has great battery life, and I just enjoy tablets and apps more than I enjoy PCs. I've been using PCs since they came out and I like new.
  14. mikos

mikos iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've tried to make the switch to the iPad for everything and so far it is working well. My laptop was the main device for everything but I have been able to transition most of what I need my laptop for over to the iPad. So far, my laptop has not left the office once since I got my iPad at launch (I picked up a new one). There are a few critical apps and accessories that have made the magic happen.

Dropbox - all my work files are now in the cloud, so anything I do in the office I can get to on the road and at home
    Quickoffice - being able to edit those files is critical. They just added the ability to edit PPT 2010 which was a huge hole in their feature set
    Splashtop - The killer app. I can access my laptop on my iPad and I do mean the whole thing. I run straight up MS Office programs, Chrome, etc. from my iPad. They support external keyboards and the ability to turn the touchscreen of the iPad into your mouse control. This is THE app that makes it all possible because there are moments when the iPad can't do certain things.
    Noteshelf - bye bye notepads, I really only do need my iPad for meetings.

Bluetooth keyboard - absolutely a must have if you are going to do any serious work or writing. I have the logitech made for iPad, works well.
    Stylus - I have the bamboo, love it.

So what can't it do as well?
    Media management - I still need a way to store and organize all the music, movies, photos, books, etc that I will consume on the iPad. Until cloud storage gets cheaper and faster, it will remain local on my laptop for now.
    MS Office - this is the biggest hole but there are solid workarounds in place. Most of the apps I use are to gain access to MS Office, either via Quickoffice/Dropbox or Splashtop. Once MS releases Office for iPad, then a lot of this is no big deal.
    Reply to an email with an attachment - it's plain silly that you can't simply attach a file from the iPad or Dropbox when replying to an email. Splashtop to the rescue, but really Apple? You can't make this part of the overall feature set?!?

But overall I think I am getting about 90% replacement out of my iPad. I'm a fan.
  15. Amy Rose The Hedgehog

Amy Rose The Hedgehog iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    iPad!
  16. zstairlessone

zstairlessone iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    When I first got the iPad 3rd gen I thought it would only be a media player, internet browser and messaging device - WRONG - I use it for most things (and interchange with my 4s for alot depending on battery level and convenience). There are, however, things I cannot do on my iPad - watch most of the TV channels I look for due to flash, detailed work, programming, engineering design - but someone back there put it in the proper perspective, this isn't for work, it's for me. I have a heavy ultra rugged laptop with a SSD, high end discrete graphics, quad core processor and it is for WORK when not on site. In the office I use an eight core very high end machine with 4 large wide screens but again this is for WORK. At home I almost exclusively use an iDevice over my home PC except when I need iTunes for something on the PC or the laptop simply for the ease of the keyboard.