1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Ipad vs laptop

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Demandarin, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Demandarin

Demandarin iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Get the ipad, does it All ;-)
  2. ConnorS92

ConnorS92 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The only things missing on iPad are Flash player and a USB port other than that there pretty similar, iPads are thinner then most laptops makes it easier for travel. There are also cheaper than most laptops. Most other things that you can do on a laptop that you can't do on an iPad are easy to get round as there are hundreds of apps that will sort this problem out (Pages and Numbers instead of Word or Xcel.)
  3. Aladyleyna

Aladyleyna iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well... I type slower on an iPad than I do on a laptop, so for me, I wouldn't say that the iPad can completely replace the laptop. Plus, all my favorite MMORPGs can only be played on my laptop.
  4. hookbill

hookbill iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    iPad is never suppose to take the place of a laptop, IMHO it's not the purpose. It's just another tool we can use for business or as in my case, pleasure.

I will say this though if you purchase a bluetooth wireless keyboard and pair it with your iPad it does make that typing much easier. But that's another way it's good because there are times when you don't want to use the wireless keyboard and prefer using the keyboard that comes with the iPad.

I've had my iPad for 5 months now and I absolutely love it. Good updates, great for listening to music. Heck since mine is wifi only I don't even load music into it I just use an app that plays my files straight from my itunes.

I suppose some people can find them business friendly but they are definitely not replacements for laptops.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Junior

Junior iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Biggest advantage about using my iPad vs. MacBook Pro is battery life.

True portability wins.
  6. GailLA

GailLA iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My laptop is sitting dusty in the corner since I got my iPad.
  7. arci

arci iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i carry my ipad outside more than my laptop..so it helps me a lot if i need to edit and send reports..but i wish there would be a better apps to edit excel..
  8. dmaul1114

dmaul1114 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I have to have both since I don't want a desktop at home and have to travel for work fairly often. I need a laptop to do real work (writing, data analysis etc).

But I hate a laptop for web surfing on the couch, reading PDFs etc. which is where a tablet comes in.
  9. SporkLover

SporkLover iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    iPad is not a Laptop replacement. The Laptop/PC will still be required for most of your serious computing. I use my PC/Laptop for managing all of my media, storing important files, pictures, video/picture editing, etc.

However, if all you use a computer for is emails, browsing, watch media.... then an iPad can certainly take the place of a Laptop.
  10. epb

epb iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    The iPad is the computer equivalent of the Smart Fortwo - it's detractors will quickly give you a laundry list of its shortcomings, but when you dig deeper you discover that 95% of the time it does everything they need.
  11. SporkLover

SporkLover iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Very true point.

I thought that I would not have much use for an iPad while I was at home (I purchased it because it was the best portable media player, that 10 hour battery is sweet). It wasn't long before I stopped picking up my laptop and started using my iPad more and more.
  12. HKWrite12

HKWrite12 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    i definitely planning on using my laptop for syncing and late night papers...but the new mobile me may replace even syncing...YAY IPAD
  13. zorah

zorah iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I tote my iPad to seminars just like I have a netbook and laptop, and because of all the apps, it ends up doing more for me. I don't even bring the charger with me half the time either-a huge plus. So better than laptop.
  14. Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Since getting my iPad back in May of last year, I've used it exclusively for everything as a mobile device except for some specific applications requiring a PC. My laptop is now the backup machine to my desktop and also a camera controller unit for my astrophotography or telescope controller. I still use my desktop a lot for many things but my ipad is THE device I use most and I use it heavily each day. I'm not all that crazy about the on-screen keyboard (especially in portrait mode...landscape is much better), but it's convenient for light input. I got an Apple wireless keyboard and it works beautifully with the iPad and I use that for some lengthy input at times, especially using any of the writing, journaling and poetry apps I have on the iPad.

One thought I did have...if I ever went minimalistic...literally got rid of just about 90% of everything, I'd keep the iPad, keyboard and do all of my storage in the cloud. The only hitch is you really HAVE to have a PC (or Mac) to do backups and device updates. So, I'd still have to keep the laptop stashed away somewhere.

But the point is, this iPad can do SO much stuff it's unbelievable. Flash is dead to me and I don't miss it. USB support would be nice, but it's not absolutely essential.

It's just...the coolest tech device. Ever.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF
  15. Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Oh yeah...I was in Safeway the other day for an extended lunch while my car was being serviced. There I was, eating a sandwich and watching the NCAA tournament on my iPad resting on its stand, relaxing in a corner. I watched a few people walk into the dining area with laptop and AC adapter/cables in hand, looking and jockeying for spots close to AC sockets. I am SO glad I can pull 10-12 hours of runtime on this thing....and sit wherever I want. That's super cool when it's really nice outside where power outlets aren't even available. I pretty much don't even travel with my charging gear anymore, and that's a dream come true! The built-in 3G is a huge plus. The form factor, the battery runtime and the built-in 3G are the three main reasons why I got the iPad.

Just me and my iPad....it's a beautiful relationship.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF
  16. Mountainbikermark

Mountainbikermark iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Question; what app is good for uploading files onto websites? Ex:I wanted to register with am employer but needed to be able to upload my resume.I ended up doing it on my phone browser but that tiny screen isn't easy to work with sometimes, all the side scrolling on full sites gets cumbersome.
    Thank you

Support Our Troops!!
    This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad
  17. zorah

zorah iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Agreed! I don't have the 3G, but if I was on the constant run without access to free Wifi most of the time, I would have the 3G. In my case, it's not as needed, though I wouldn't have minded either. (my iPhone becomes my backup) But being able to just turn iPad on from standby-no boot up time is awesome. Type notes, handwrite notes, whatever I want is just great, and no worry that the battery will drain, and just like you said-no glancing around for outlets!
  18. DaveSt

DaveSt iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I guess it all depends on the user. I have found that my iPad cannot do 95% of what I use my laptop for, so I have a completely different view of it. I do find that for the things I use my iPad for, it is at least 95% more enjoyable!
  19. Allergic2life

Allergic2life iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've had my iPad for 6 months now, and don't want to live without it. I've never been a fan of Apple so when I purchased my iPad, I made a deal with myself to dive in 100% with Steve Job's vision and his latest toy. I knew it would never be more than a big mp3 player that set next to me while I was on my laptop working.

But a deal is a deal... I started off day 1 using it for everything I could. I locked up my USB drives, put away my spreadsheets, swept the cobwebs out of my barely used box.net account... Then I started downloading apps, 100's of then. By topic, free ones first, and then used them long enough to compare. I learned that I hated the AppStore (still do), but I soon found my life revolving around this incredible tool!

Does this equal my laptop - for 75% YES! Can I build new macros for my spreadsheets? No, not yet. is it easier to use? For somethings... But without a keyboard or mouse... It is limited. BUT can I use this any moment of the day, YES! Do I miss spending 10 minutes just to boot up and get into outlook, nope! Is my job easier now that I have my entire office wherever I go. I still need to use my laptop for some of the heavy lifting, but only for specific tasks now.

And I just got back from my first business trip where I left my bulky laptop and bag at home and worked entirely from my iPad! This is as big as when we left behind our floppy disks for the internet. Sorry guys, but this is the future... Learn it, live it or get left behind.
  20. SusiBiker

SusiBiker iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I didn't buy it straight away because I seriously couldn't see a use for it. I thought it a pointless purchase.
    I needed an always-available email and web browser. I bought one.
    I use it every day, for hours a day. I listen to podcasts, watch movies, browse the web, use it as a jukebox as well as many other uses. Don't know how I got by without it. Awesome. Just awesome.

Laptop? Just doesn't compare. Too slow to start, too big, bad battery life. The only thing that I've personally find that comes close is my HTC Desire phone.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011