What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad vs Archos 9

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many of the reasons it gets bad reviews, is because people do not know how to use a tablet that is running a full blown OS. You can not treat it like a desktop. The Archos 9 has 1GB memory, so with that in mind, you would need to limit how many apps you are running at once. I will be the first to admit, it is better suited to those who like to tweak and get the most out of a machine. Not really for the faint of heart, if you do not know much about tweaking. Here is a great video showing just how responsive and great the screen can be. It's not so terrible, like some make it out to be. Watch some youtube video's or even try to get a Hand's on at your local BestBuy, to get the real lowdown. I decided to take the plunge and ordered me one. I will know just how "terrible" it is tomorrow. If it ends up being that, I have 30 days to return it :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OIAQ-Arcec]YouTube - ARCHOS 9 Windows Ultimate & Aero[/ame]

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My personal thought is that if you have that much money to throw away on junk, that's fine, but don't go knocking millions of people who own or want to own an iPad just the way it is. It is obvious that your preferrence for 16:9 screens is in the minority here, yet you make an effort to belittle those who understand the benefits of 4:3 for such a device.

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seadog, I never said anything terrible about the iPad. So don't go saying I am bad mouthing it, when that is not true. Does it have short comings IMO? Yes, but that does not mean I do not like my iPad. It just does not for-fill all of my needs.Take it as constructive criticism if anything. Now there has been some bad mouthing about other devices on this forum (junk, cheap pos, etc), and that should not be in question. Being this is a iPad forum that is to be expected. But some of it, is kinda blind bashing.

Last edited:

jenna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am curios to know takeovers thoughts on the Archos now that he has one.

Brad Groux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bradgroux.com
I am curios to know takeovers thoughts on the Archos now that he has one.

It is running older and slower netbook hardware trying to run a full non-touch version of Windows 7, that tells me enough. I have a Dell Mini 9 and a Dell Mini 10, and 1GB of memory just isn't enough for a good Windows 7 experience. Thankfully you can upgrade the memory on the Dell Mini 9, and with 4GB it flies running Windows 7. You're limited to 1GB of memory on the Dell Mini 10 and it is sluggish at times, you can forget trying to play HD videos. The Archos 9 also has a much older and slower Atom processor than both the new Mini 9s and 10s.

For Windows 7 to be a viable OS on a touch screen you need to have a large screen or skin it... much like HTC does with TouchFLO on the Windows mobile 6.0-6.5 phones. As I mentioned above, for this reason I strongly see Microsoft moving forward with a Windows tablet based on the Windows Phone 7 Series operating system over Windows 7 tablets. A Windows 7 Tablet just isn't going to be as smooth as those running iPhone OS, Android or HP's soon to be WebOS.

Windows 7 on a tablet won't be able to compete with the speed, ease of use, stability and battery life of tablets running mobile operating systems. A desktop operating system is simply overkill with today's "mobile" hardware.

DISCLAIMER: I am a HUGE Microsoft Fanboy who absolutely loves Windows 7 and I loathe most of what Apple stands for (and AT&T)... but with the cancellation of the Courier the iPad is the only tablet worth a damn in the next 6-8 months. After using an iPad for about 20 hours it became abundantly clear to me that there was no way Microsoft could come out with a tablet running a full version of Windows 7, it just wouldn't compare.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many of the reasons it gets bad reviews, is because people do not know how to use a tablet that is running a full blown OS. You can not treat it like a desktop. The Archos 9 has 1GB memory, so with that in mind, you would need to limit how many apps you are running at once. I will be the first to admit, it is better suited to those who like to tweak and get the most out of a machine. Not really for the faint of heart, if you do not know much about tweaking. Here is a great video showing just how responsive and great the screen can be. It's not so terrible, like some make it out to be. Watch some youtube video's or even try to get a Hand's on at your local BestBuy, to get the real lowdown. I decided to take the plunge and ordered me one. I will know just how "terrible" it is tomorrow. If it ends up being that, I have 30 days to return it :)

YouTube - ARCHOS 9 Windows Ultimate & Aero

That video showed exactly why I would have no interest in this device. Fingernail touching is really annoying (i have had many windows mobile pdas and it is not fun!) navigation seems really choppy, especially when navigating the photo. Web navigation seemed really choppy and unresponsive...flash videos while present seemed mostly stuttery. That keyboard looks like a nightmare.

You said check youtube for reviews and I did, trust me, all I could find was a couple reviews in german and a BUNCH of the Archos product marketing video. No real hands on like this video.

Overall I am very happy with my iPad and would never want another windows device, tablet or otherwise.

kevbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It would be nice to have a full, or somewhat full OS. Maybe I'm being bitter, but once the initial afterglow wore off after buying the iPad, I started wishing that it had all the apps a Windows PC has. How many different ways do you need to view BBC? How many apps do I need to find a new restaurant? The glory of the iPad isn't in the OS, its the form factor (unless you are a computer novice). With many of us, if you give us an iPad "shell" on an open/existing platform, we can all of what the iPad can do and much more. Just sayin'

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It would be nice to have a full, or somewhat full OS. Maybe I'm being bitter, but once the initial afterglow wore off after buying the iPad, I started wishing that it had all the apps a Windows PC has. How many different ways do you need to view BBC? How many apps do I need to find a new restaurant? The glory of the iPad isn't in the OS, its the form factor (unless you are a computer novice). With many of us, if you give us an iPad "shell" on an open/existing platform, we can all of what the iPad can do and much more. Just sayin'

I guess it depends on the user....to me the glory is very much the OS.

What apps are you needing that are windows only? Besides games that would never run on a windows tablet anyway.

jenna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Brad, I commented earlier in the thread about my experiences with the Archos 9, which were not positive.

Brad Groux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bradgroux.com

Oh, I too want an iPad to be able to do 90% of the things my desktop does, but you have to find the right balance between speed, usability and battery life. The "Instant On" and 10 hour battery life are a huge reason the iPad is and will continue to be successful, and having a full desktop OS would hurt all of those things tremendously. The iPad OS lacks a lot of things I wish it had, but hopefully with Jailbreaking and the release of OS 4.0 I can cut that list down quite a bit.

A slimmed down version of Windows 7 with a revamped GUI designed specifically for touch would be on the right track... but one place I do agree with Steve Jobs about is that this device creates an entirely new product category, it is finally the UMPC's (Ultra-Mobile Portable Computers) that were were promised half a decade ago.

Think the Microsoft Alexandria and Origami...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS4qlYwTdnk]YouTube - Microsoft Alexandria[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVLhvn4cvnQ]YouTube - UMPC, Ultra-Mobile PC - Microsoft Origami[/ame]

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Oh, I too want an iPad to be able to do 90% of the things my desktop does, but you have to find the right balance between speed, usability and battery life. The "Instant On" and 10 hour battery life are a huge reason the iPad is and will continue to be successful, and having a full desktop OS would hurt all of those things tremendously. The iPad OS lacks a lot of things I wish it had, but hopefully with Jailbreaking and the release of OS 4.0 I can cut that list down quite a bit.

A slimmed down version of Windows 7 with a revamped GUI designed specifically for touch would be on the right track... but one place I do agree with Steve Jobs about is that this device creates an entirely new product category, it is finally the UMPC's (Ultra-Mobile Portable Computers) that were were promised half a decade ago.

Think the Microsoft Alexandria and Origami...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS4qlYwTdnk]YouTube - Microsoft Alexandria[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVLhvn4cvnQ]YouTube - UMPC, Ultra-Mobile PC - Microsoft Origami[/ame]

Ah good ole microsoft vaporware, guess you can add courier to the list now.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It always amazes me how people expect instant gratification and perfection. Go back to OS 10. In it's original form, it was no where near the excellent platform it is now. But Snow Leopard was not possible without 10.0 making the necessary start.

The original iPod was poorly received, but took off after iTunes was made available for Windows and advancements were made in flash memory. And as well received as the iPhone was, it took two years to get to where it is now. In every case, Apple has made small frequent changes to keep the technology fresh, and to make a better product.

The iPad is part of this process. As amazing as it is now, the model in 2-3 years is going to be a very mature product.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am one of those hopping another iPad like device would be among us and sooner than latter. I actually depended on HP bringing the Slate to the table just as they hyped. And now after reading about the dead Slate, the recently released Arcos tablet and the hyped up Dell pocket 'thing a ma jig' I now realize it's going to be a long time before we see anything close to holding par with the iPad. Yes, it would be over the border if we had all these capabilities discussed here, but it's going to be a long time before we see it. By then iPad will be on million sold... Jmo ..

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As all of you know, I'm very anxious to get my hands on any and every tablet to checkout until the iPad is available. Now that the Archos 9 is out, lets see how it stacks up against the iPad.

Apple iPad

Screen: 9.7-inch 4:3 IPS LCD (1024x768)
Browser: Mobile Safari
Adobe Flash: No
Ebook Client: Yes
Multitasking: (No - Limited)
MultiTouch: (Yes - The Best)
Camera: No
I/O: 30-Pin, Camera-Only-USB-Add-On
Processor: 1GHz Apple A4
Storage: 16,32 or 64GB
Expandable Memory: Possible with optional SD dongle
Wireless: Wi-Fi, 3G (HSPA/GSM), Bluetooth
Weight: 1.5 Pounds
Battery Life: 10 Hours - 1 Month Standby
Price: $500-$830
iPad Release Date: March/April (Wi-Fi), April/May (3G)

Archos 9

Screen: 9inch resistive LCD (1024x600)
Browser: Many Choices, IE, FireFox, Chrome, Etc
Adobe Flash: Yes
Ebook Client: Yes
Multitasking: Yes
MultiTouch: NO
Camera: 1.3MP
I/O: USB, optional, HDMI, VGA Dongle
Processor: 1.1GHz Atom Z515
Storage: 60GB Hard Drive
Expandable Memory: Nope
Wireless: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth
Weight: 1.75 Points
Battery Life: 5 Hours
Price: $550
Release Date: Now

The Archos 9 has some impressive features for the price. I'm not sure I'll rush out and purchase one, but I'll be at my local best buy playing around with one. I would like to see how well and functional Windows 7 works on a touch screen device.

On another note, any thoughts on whether the Archos 9 could be turned into a hackintosh?

OK let me have my personal review , this is the crapyest device in ever bough … i have buy one during our development and usage of the tablet (before iPad come out)

i use it no more than 3 hours if some want it i give for half of the price iclude delivery …. it’s pity i am French i feel shame some citizen of my country can do piece of S*it like that …. even for a digital picture i didn’t want to use it

Most reactions

Latest posts