What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad vs Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:
And with no fanboy flames thrown,a rarity on any forum
:2thumbs:

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

'Twas getting mighty close though!

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On my ipad I want to turn my bluetooth on or off there are several steps, taking time. On my Tab I have a bluetooth on/off widget, instant toggle. I don't know where this falls into the scenario but it works best for me. That is just one example of why I use widgets, not the weather current temperature type but ones that are shortcuts.
The Android users who use task killers only do so because they are available and they think , just like some ios users, that everything is either microsoft or a microsoft clone. On my Tab and phone I don't need/use a task killer BUT I ended up with a work around one on my ipad called xsysinfo because one os does a better job of managing memory without need of an app and it's not ios as it turns out, a big , unpleasant shock to me. Sure I can do the double tap home and close the apps 1 at a time. My Android stuff does that for me if needed.
Again, for my type of usage the ipad crashes too much our requires too many work arounds whereas the Android stuff just rolls along, clunky, rough, gauche, whatever you want to call it, right out of the boxes
Support Our Troops!!!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from this Galaxy

Shortcuts: Yeah, they're convenient. But in part that's because when you get into Android's "Settings" you can easily get lost in a maze of different, ill defined, multi-level categories. I've been using Android devices for several years and find I have to reacquaint myself with the arcane, multi-level settings each time I'm forced to access them. In such an environment, shortcuts are a godsend. In contrast, I find the iPad's "Settings" to be easily understood and manipulated. Once again, the double-edged sword of flexibility vs complexity.

Task Killers and OS Intelligence: I don't use task killers in the Android environment, either. They're pointless at best and undermine performance at worst. Leave the Android OS alone and it will (almost always) make better decisions than a user about managing memory.

But I have to say that I haven't experienced any issues with the memory management iOS provides, either. I purchased xSysInfo largely because I wanted to know more about what the OS was doing, but I haven't found it really necessary to use it to kill suspended apps. Probably too technical a discussion for this thread, but I'd be interested in knowing just what problems you experienced on the iPad that you believe stem from inadequate OS memory management. Feel free to send me a message if you'd like to discuss.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:
And with no fanboy flames thrown,a rarity on any forum
:2thumbs:

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

'Twas getting mighty close though!

Really? I never noticed anyone trying to "one up"any post intentionally. Except maybe freebirdlover :D j/k
I hope none of mine have been seen that way, it was never my intention. I really enjoy using my ipad for what I use it for now (playing games, Star Walk), the build quality and physical attributes (glass, case, buttons, etc) are bar none better than anything else I've handled and my wife and children love using both ipads, my oldest daughter rarely uses her laptop anymore ( just school work, Flash videos and tv episodes) and my youngest daughter (3 and a half years old) uses mine a ton for reading books, coloring, practice writing letters and numbers using my stylus and all the kids really enjoy the games on both.
Out of over 300 apps between my 3 devices only my ipad has any games that are mine (Tap Zoo and Frisbee). I'm not a gamer.
Sweet Poison, I rarely see any X vs Y on any forum without them ending badly anymore. Kudos to my fellow forum members here
Support Our Troops!!!
Sent from this Galaxy

Reaction score
On my ipad I want to turn my bluetooth on or off there are several steps, taking time. On my Tab I have a bluetooth on/off widget, instant toggle. I don't know where this falls into the scenario but it works best for me. That is just one example of why I use widgets, not the weather current temperature type but ones that are shortcuts.
The Android users who use task killers only do so because they are available and they think , just like some ios users, that everything is either microsoft or a microsoft clone. On my Tab and phone I don't need/use a task killer BUT I ended up with a work around one on my ipad called xsysinfo because one os does a better job of managing memory without need of an app and it's not ios as it turns out, a big , unpleasant shock to me. Sure I can do the double tap home and close the apps 1 at a time. My Android stuff does that for me if needed.
Again, for my type of usage the ipad crashes too much our requires too many work arounds whereas the Android stuff just rolls along, clunky, rough, gauche, whatever you want to call it, right out of the boxes
Support Our Troops!!!
Sent from this Galaxy

Shortcuts: Yeah, they're convenient. But in part that's because when you get into Android's "Settings" you can easily get lost in a maze of different, ill defined, multi-level categories. I've been using Android devices for several years and find I have to reacquaint myself with the arcane, multi-level settings each time I'm forced to access them. In such an environment, shortcuts are a godsend. In contrast, I find the iPad's "Settings" to be easily understood and manipulated. Once again, the double-edged sword of flexibility vs complexity.

Task Killers and OS Intelligence: I don't use task killers in the Android environment, either. They're pointless at best and undermine performance at worst. Leave the Android OS alone and it will (almost always) make better decisions than a user about managing memory.

But I have to say that I haven't experienced any issues with the memory management iOS provides, either. I purchased xSysInfo largely because I wanted to know more about what the OS was doing, but I haven't found it really necessary to use it to kill suspended apps. Probably too technical a discussion for this thread, but I'd be interested in knowing just what problems you experienced on the iPad that you believe stem from inadequate OS memory management. Feel free to send me a message if you'd like to discuss.

PM sent

Support Our Troops!!!
Sent from this Galaxy

beesy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an htc incredible, and a friend of mine has an adroid tablet 10" I thought the phone, tablet ....apps and games were awesome until I bought my ipad 2 .......APPLE ROCKS! My Ipad 2 is far superior in every aspect then the android, I love my Ipad 2, I can't imagine what they can do to the next generation of the ipad to enhance it, unless give it a 3d retina display......Nothing can compare with the Ipad 2...the end!

Reaction score
I have an htc incredible, and a friend of mine has an adroid tablet 10" I thought the phone, tablet ....apps and games were awesome until I bought my ipad 2 .......APPLE ROCKS! My Ipad 2 is far superior in every aspect then the android, I love my Ipad 2, I can't imagine what they can do to the next generation of the ipad to enhance it, unless give it a 3d retina display......Nothing can compare with the Ipad 2...the end!

From some things I've read, the next generation ipad will have double the resolution it has now. Don't know if they will call it retina, but it should be even better than retina

Support Our Troops!!!
Sent from this Galaxy

STi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had ipad 1, galaxy tab,xoom and a few generic tabs...Currently own ipad 2 and galaxy tab 10.1....both are user friendly super thin and sleek...main thing that sticks out to me is the ipad is so fluid and smooth as far as scrolling,typing and just over all while the android tablets can lag and be choppy...I do how ever think sammy provides a better screen even the older galaxy tab...brrighter and more pop...I Actually liked my ipad1 cooler tint than 2's warm tint.

2011-07-14230406.jpg

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From some things I've read, the next generation ipad will have double the resolution it has now. Don't know if they will call it retina, but it should be even better than retina

Support Our Troops!!!
Sent from this Galaxy

Oh Goody! With double the resolution on the same size screen I'll have to replace my reading glasses with binoculars. :D

Seriously, I'm not sure what to think of the obsession with screen resolution specs. Beyond a certain point the pixel density exceeds the human eye's capacity to discern detail. There are, of course, specialized applications where higher resolutions are essential, especially when zooming to a portion of an image. And if your objective is to project an iPad screen on a 60 inch screen, it can be useful.

On the other hand, I paid a hefty premium for a 1920x1080 HD display on my wife's new 15" laptop last year. Her reaction was to ask me how to reduce the screen resolution so she could read her email without a magnifying glass. :eek: Oh, well...

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
Oh Goody! With double the resolution on the same size screen I'll have to replace my reading glasses with binoculars. :D

Seriously, I'm not sure what to think of the obsession with screen resolution specs. Beyond a certain point the pixel density exceeds the human eye's capacity to discern detail. There are, of course, specialized applications where higher resolutions are essential, especially when zooming to a portion of an image. And if your objective is to project an iPad screen on a 60 inch screen, it can be useful.

On the other hand, I paid a hefty premium for a 1920x1080 HD display on my wife's new 15" laptop last year. Her reaction was to ask me how to reduce the screen resolution so she could read her email without a magnifying glass. :eek: Oh, well...

Technically, zooming in maintains the resolution of the screen... :)

Reaction score

Support Our Troops!!!
Sent from this Galaxy

I agree. I'm not a fan of hd because my old eyes don't see it well. It's too sharp for me. There is a break down somewhere between the optic nerve and my brain.

Support Our Troops!!!
Sent from this Galaxy

Last edited by a moderator:

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The reality is that of yet, no other manufacturer has produced a true competitor to the iPad. As one pundit figured out, Apple has nailed the features and price on this. With their buying clout, they have made it where they can get the components at lower cost than the competition by the shear volume of their sales. Android has its place in the cell phone market, but with tablets, it is still a immature platform.

The Android manufacturers are going to have problems because a good proportion of the Android app makers are moving to iOS instead according to the latest information. What I find is silly about this, is how many apps do we need? There are so many iOS apps, they cannot review them all, they cannot find a way to categorize them efficiently, and most people are getting lost in the shear numbers. Apple is going to keep a commanding lead in tablets for a long time. The only question is how long, and what will cause people to start buying more Android tablets. The new WebOS tablets are the real pity. From reports, they have an excellent OS and decent potential, but the lack of a decent app store, and some cheap build components will probably bury it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts