What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad vs Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulyeo11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think iphone phone app is sure better, but I still like to try Andorra OS as in some area Andorra OS is better like play mov file abs support fresh.

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
dbeth said:
I have an Android phone and my new iPad, and to be honest, the ONLY thing I would like from the Android OS is the ability to customize my screens with widgets and the placement of my icons. Outside of that, I enjoy both iOS and Android equally.

I just had the opportunity to upgrade my HTC Droid and chose the HTC Thunderbolt over the iPhone. I love Android and HTC but I am also obsessed with my iPad. I didn't want a mini iPad either, I use my phone differently than my iPad. I appreciate the differences in advantages that both offer.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:
Is that a case of spell check gone awry?

It's an example of why one might want to disable that darned spell checker once and for all. :)

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Consider the following hypothetical.

You have two comparable devices each designed to perform a particular task (like opening an application). Over a set of, say, ten trials one device averages 3 seconds to perform the task, varying between 2.9 and 3.1 seconds. The second device averages 2 seconds to perform the same task, varying between 1 and 4 seconds.

Which device has better performance? Which is faster? Which would you rather use? Studies have long indicated that most users believe the first device demonstrates better performance, is faster, and is preferred.

In short, consistency trumps performance at least from the point of view of perceptions.

The comparison is important in comparing the true multi-tasking and greater customizability in the Android environment compared to the pseudo-multitasking and much more limited customizability in iOS environment. The former is much more subject to variability depending on the tasks the OS is being asked to perform. Apple has apparently decided to limit both multitasking capabilities and the ability of a user to customize their experience in order to maintain the highly predictable (i.e. "smooth") performance of their devices. Thus, Android's "widgets" don't exist in iOS devices. Notifications are much less robust. Multi-tasking is limited to a few favored apps. By the same token, however, iOS users are less tempted to use "task killers." Even when Android devices out-perform their iOS counterparts, users may find the inherent variability in performance to suggest something is wrong with their device.

Last edited:

singlestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score

You have two comparable devices each designed to perform a particular task (like opening an application). Over a set of, say, ten trials one device averages 3 seconds to perform the task, varying between 2.9 and 3.1 seconds. The second device averages 2 seconds to perform the same task, varying between 1 and 4 seconds.

Which device has better performance? Which is faster? Which would you rather use? Studies have long indicated that most users believe the first device demonstrates better performance, is faster, and is preferred.

In short, consistency trumps performance at least from the point of view of perceptions.

The comparison is important in comparing the true multi-tasking and greater customizability in the Android environment compared to the pseudo-multitasking and much more limited customizability in iOS environment. The former is much more subject to variability depending on the tasks the OS is being asked to perform. Apple has apparently decided to limit both multitasking capabilities and the ability of a user to customize their experience in order to maintain the highly predictable (i.e. "smooth") performance of their devices. Thus, Android's "widgets" don't exist in iOS devices. Notifications are much less robust. Multi-tasking is limited to a few favored apps. By the same token, however, iOS users are less tempted to use "task killers." Even when Android devices out-perform their iOS counterparts, users may find the inherent variability in performance to suggest something is wrong with their device.

But it is not just that consistency trumps performance. Consistency is a valid measure of performance.

The notion of "limited customizability" also has to be looked at in a larger context. I recently watched a video podcast devoted to Android products. One host had spent hours rooting the phone and finding and installing apps that ultimately were similar in function to what you get with the iPhone out of the box. In the end, this may make for a better experience for some users, but I wonder how many Android customers go through theses extra steps. I also wonder how many iOS users jailbreak their phones, vs those who never bother.

HTMLEgg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
htmlegg.aidaluu.com
I agree with what most of the users have said here. The iPad is much better in terms of user interface. I actually had to conduct a study by comparing different types of tablets. I did this for work, for a boss who was anti-apple and was trying everything to get away from getting an iPad. So I actually tried to pick out good points from Android tablets and tried presenting those to him. It was hard, and it only takes a few seconds for a new user to realize the iPad is much more user friendly. On the other hand, the Android tablets can do a lot more, there's more options to customize the desktop (and for me, that meant getting lost and not being to exit programs! haha)

oh and then he decided to not get any tablets, because he wants a keyboard (a real one with buttons) Sigh~

Last edited:

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But it is not just that consistency trumps performance. Consistency is a valid measure of performance.

The notion of "limited customizability" also has to be looked at in a larger context. I recently watched a video podcast devoted to Android products. One host had spent hours rooting the phone and finding and installing apps that ultimately were similar in function to what you get with the iPhone out of the box. In the end, this may make for a better experience for some users, but I wonder how many Android customers go through theses extra steps. I also wonder how many iOS users jailbreak their phones, vs those who never bother.

Well, consistency is a valid measure of performance from a psychological standpoint, to be sure. The old restaurant rule never to vary portions is relevant in this context. A customer who gets a large portion (quick performance) on one visit and a smaller portion (slower performance) in a second visit may well feel cheated. That's true even if over time they get more food. The vaunted "smoothness" of iPhones and iPads takes advantage of that fact. But it does so at the expense of providing users with a number of features (e.g. widgets) that are simply not available in the iOS environment.

As far as rooting Android devices is concerned, it's a hobby, not a necessity. And the best estimates I've seen suggest that less than 1% of Android users root their phones. I've never seen the need to do so and I have about 150 apps on my Android phone, including many that are simply not available in the iOS environment (i.e. turn-by-turn navigation.)

Comparisons of "out-of-the-box" capabilities are somewhat more complicated than they might first appear. Yes, the iOS environment dwarfs Android in terms of sheer numbers of available apps. On the other hand, my impression is that Android apps designed for phones scale considerably better than equivalent apps in the iOS environment. (Solely my impression, btw.) And since the bulk of apps available in both environments are those developed for phones, the iOS advantage may not be as great as it first appears.

Furthermore, it's important to consider just how many different versions of otherwise almost identical applications one needs. To choose a trivial example, both iOS and Android app sources offer a multitude of "tip calculators." The fact that iOS might have 50 while Android has 20 isn't really an advantage.

On the other hand, Android devices offer at least a dozen different virtual keyboard apps, a category where individual preferences for specific features and capabilities is critical and the app, itself, is very important. Unless I'm wrong, there are no choices for keyboard apps in the iOS environment.

To offer the counter-argument, however, where iOS really shines is in specialized apps and whole categories that are simply not available in the Android environment. I purchased an iPad, for example, for the vast array of apps for kids, educational and otherwise. That's a godsend for a parent of a seven year-old, especially in view of my daughter's desire for a new app every three days. Likewise, I have friends in medicine who use specialized iPhone apps that are simply non-existent in the Android environment. I suspect that's true of other professions, as well.

As you can probably tell, I don't have a strong preference in this whole area. I want to see Android devices (including tablets) succeed because it benefits all of us, including those who are committed exclusively to Apple products. And I can see advantages for each platform even in the current less developed state of Android devices. The Android platform has greater potential, I think, for a variety of reasons. But the jury is out and betting against Apple is hardly a recommended strategy for making money.

Personally, I can't imagine abandoning the iPad for an Android tablet anytime soon. But that's because, despite some annoying weaknesses, it serves my needs very well. But that also means I'm unlikely to "trade up" to an iPad 3.

Reaction score

On my ipad I want to turn my bluetooth on or off there are several steps, taking time. On my Tab I have a bluetooth on/off widget, instant toggle. I don't know where this falls into the scenario but it works best for me. That is just one example of why I use widgets, not the weather current temperature type but ones that are shortcuts.
The Android users who use task killers only do so because they are available and they think , just like some ios users, that everything is either microsoft or a microsoft clone. On my Tab and phone I don't need/use a task killer BUT I ended up with a work around one on my ipad called xsysinfo because one os does a better job of managing memory without need of an app and it's not ios as it turns out, a big , unpleasant shock to me. Sure I can do the double tap home and close the apps 1 at a time. My Android stuff does that for me if needed.
Again, for my type of usage the ipad crashes too much our requires too many work arounds whereas the Android stuff just rolls along, clunky, rough, gauche, whatever you want to call it, right out of the boxes
Support Our Troops!!!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from this Galaxy

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One host had spent hours rooting the phone and finding and installing apps that ultimately were similar in function to what you get with the iPhone out of the box. In the end, this may make for a better experience for some users, but I wonder how many Android customers go through theses extra steps.

I could not help but think of my experience with file management. How many new people here get confused by this, with recommendations form the more experienced users to get this app and that app. Some even suggest rooting their iPad. For what? For a capability that android has right out the box?

While I am sure that there are capabilities that require an app on the android to do what is inherent with the iPad, I think I will call that one a draw, at best.

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This whole thread is boiling down to long winded explanations to say that Android and iOS work better for people depending on what they want and what they like.

Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts