What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad using a iPhone as a modem

disneylover1977

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am going to purchace a iPad but i am not sure which to get, (wifi only or 3g)..
Can i use the wifi only version and use my iPhone as a router to use the wifi when i dont have a free wifi signel.

kevin manning

iPF Noob
Reaction score
disneylover1977 said:
I am going to purchace a iPad but i am not sure which to get, (wifi only or 3g)..
Can i use the wifi only version and use my iPhone as a router to use the wifi when i dont have a free wifi signel.

Yes you can, contact your carrier for pricing

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But it needs to be an iPhone4. Other iPhones that are not jail broken don't support WiFi hotspots.

Tim

Coralee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iphone 3gs and can tether it to my ipad2 successfully. I did have trouble at first but eventually Apple was able to sort it out for me:0)
Its very easy now to connect using bluetooth and use my ipones 3g.

mdpdmd22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
disneylover1977 said:

It is very expensive to tether your cell phone to iPad as a modem, about $45 per month for 2gb. Better off with a wifi iPad or jailbreak your iPhone and use mywifi. With that it's free after paying $25 for the mywifi app. Make sure you use AT&T because Verizon is painfully slow

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Whether it's expensive or not depends on your plan doesn't it...

I have unlimited data on my phone at a flat rate whether I use it or not, with no bandwidth throttling. It's free for me to use my phone to connect my iPad to the Internet.

That said, I bought a 3G anyway and a data plan just because I don't like how fast the phone battery goes flat while providing Internet access to my iPad...

-t

Last edited:

m3incorp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No it's not free for you to tether your iPad to your iphone. Carriers charge a monthly fee. Yes you can do it with a jailbroken iPhone...however AT&T has been notifying customers that are using jailbroken phones to tether, that they have the choice of stop tethering, voluntarily come in and get the monthly $45 plan to use the iphone as a hotspot or they will involuntarily change the plan to the $45 monthly plan when they detect that you are using a jailbroken iPhone for free tethering.

Whether it's expensive or not depends on your plan doesn't it...

I have unlimited data on my phone at a flat rate whether I use it or not, with no bandwidth throttling. It's free for me to use my phone to connect my iPad to the Internet.

That said, I bought a 3G anyway and a data plan just because I don't like how fast the phone battery goes flat while providing Internet access to my iPad...

-t

Coralee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In NZ I have a plan that allows me 3gb per month. My work pays $70nz per month which gives e about 120 free mins, 1000 free txts etc and as tethering is free- I just need to keep an eye on usage but because I use wireless at home and at work I use very little of the 3gb, but can access my in the cloud docs and database at all my clients that I am visiting. It is fantastic and well worth persevering with to get it. BTW I would never consider jailbreaking my phone or ipad, i value my warranty and apple support too much:)

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
m3incorp said:
No it's not free for you to tether your iPad to your iphone. Carriers charge a monthly fee. Yes you can do it with a jailbroken iPhone...however AT&T has been notifying customers that are using jailbroken phones to tether, that they have the choice of stop tethering, voluntarily come in and get the monthly $45 plan to use the iphone as a hotspot or they will involuntarily change the plan to the $45 monthly plan when they detect that you are using a jailbroken iPhone for free tethering.

It depends on your provider. With Rogers, tethering is free with a data plan above 1gb/month...

VicoPad addict!

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
m3incorp said:
....however AT&T has been notifying customers...

I am not in the US and don't use AT&T

I have unlimited data with free tethering for a flat rate whether I use it or not.

It's going to depend on your carrier and your plan.

-t

Coralee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone have problems with tethering? I have been using my iphone 3gs to tether with my ipad2 regularly until this week and suddenly it wont connect. Any ideas what I may have done? The hotspot is on (the phone) and so is bluetooth on both phone & ipad.

Coralee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Coralee said:
Does anyone have problems with tethering? I have been using my iphone 3gs to tether with my ipad2 regularly until this week and suddenly it wont connect. Any ideas what I may have done? The hotspot is on (the phone) and so is bluetooth on both phone & ipad.

I thought i would let anyone know who is interested that Apple were able to help me out with this one. You need to delete any devices that are showing as 'not connected' on either device then turn off bluetooth and then turn it back on and it seems to pair with a completely new connection. Thanks Apple:)

Most reactions

Latest posts