What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Users Spend More Time Reading the News Than Anything Else

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iPad_session_length_chart.JPG

The Loop reports on a new survey from mobile app analytics company, Localytics, that looks into how iPad owners like to spend their time on their device. According to Localytics, iPad owners spend the most time on their device reading news, listening to music, and accessing health and fitness apps. The figures are based on data from apps that subscribe to Localytics’ analytics platform. According to the results, iPad owners actually spend less time than expected playing games and interacting with entertainment apps, with Localytics finding that iPad users are tending to play short, more casual types of games as opposed to more in-depth games that would take up more of their time to play. The figures also indicate that sports apps are used more to just check scores, than to read sports stories and news in a more in-depth manner. In contrast, it seems that users like to spend more in-depth time enjoying their reference and health apps.

Source: Study: iPad users spend most time with news, play games most frequently
iPad Users Spend Most Time on News Apps | Localytics

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I find myself checking my various news apps quite frequently. CNN, FOX News, Politico, The Onion, they all look amazing on the iPad. So it makes sense!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have two iPads and no game apps. My husband has none on his iPad, either. We're both news junkies, though.

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a few games on mine, but I find myself only really playing Words with Friends and Sudoku. I check Facebook, Twitter, IPF, and my news apps on it, mostly!

Bossman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do play games and access social networking sites etc but I find the news apps invaluable. Every morning I travel to work by bus and spend most of that time reading the news on the Daily Mail app. Far better than a newspaper as its compact, has more images and a better range of news items.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
First thing I do when I pick up my iPad is check my email, closely followed by Facebook. Once those are out of the way, I read the news, BBC first, CNN next and CBC, occasionally followed by CNET.

Next use for me is music. I plug the iPad into my truck sound system, so that I can keep my iPhone for calls.

I have games on the iPad, but they are for my son. I never play them.

singlestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let's see. First thing I do each morning is check the Twitter feed of transit sites to see if there are any delays on my commuting route. Then I update Flipboard and Reeder for a range of items, not just news. Mondays I download the latest edition of the New Yorker and the Economist. During my commute I listen to or watch podcasts, including the latest podcast of Realtime with Bill Maher. Or I will read a work related document or PDF file. I will make notes, load the file to Dropbox, and later either revise it on my work PC or send it along to colleagues for further action.

And every now and then, I may play a slice of Angry Birds or a round of a golf game.

Most reactions

Latest posts