What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad use of up to 1 hour/day deemed fine for children aged younger than 2 years

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT] ipad kid.jpg[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]​

Ever since smartphones and tablets have been launched, there's been an ongoing debate of their effect on the growth of kids, especially toddlers and those under two years. Some health experts and doctors have been saying that exposure to such devices is a negative thing, while others are saying that it doesn't harm if it the use is moderated. P
[/FONT]ediatrician Dimitri A. Christakis, an expert on the effects of media on children and one of the main contributors of the American Academy of Pediatrics guidelines on restricting media use by children aged younger than 2 years, says that 30 to 60 minutes per day spent using an iPad or a similar device like a smartphone or another tablet, won't interfere with the child's natural growth. He says that a special attention should be given to the activity that the little one is engaged while interacting with, as interacting with a game on an iPad or other tablet is quite different from just sitting and viewing a screen.

He also points out that when the AAP Council on Communications and Media updated the original 1999 guidelines, devices such as iPads didn’t exist, and that now, 4 years after the iPad’s debut, we still know relatively little about how these technologies influence the way children’s brains develop and learn. Christakis puts forth that in addition to interactivity, other factors influencing whether media use is beneficial or a waste of time include:

1. Can the device/app respond differently to different actions of the child?
2. Can the device/app behave differently for each child or each time it is used?
3. Can the device/app move a child along a continuum that advances in complexity?
4. Does the device/app enable or facilitate adults and children playing together?
5. Is the device transported easily and available in different venues?

Of course, health experts still advise that children’s use of such devices should be closely monitored and that limits should be set so that device time doesn’t interfere with the social and physical activities. What do you think - what's your take on this subject?

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I'm old fashioned and don't really believe in any of these regulations or studies. Good kids are good kids and bad kids are bad kids. I don't think playing on an iPad too much as a toddler will somehow mess a kid a up when they reach adulthood. Now, being on devices constantly is another story and IS a problem but an hour a day versus say three hours a day? Can't see the difference.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I'm old fashioned and don't really believe in any of these regulations or studies. Good kids are good kids and bad kids are bad kids. I don't think playing on an iPad too much as a toddler will somehow mess a kid a up when they reach adulthood. Now, being on devices constantly is another story and IS a problem but an hour a day versus say three hours a day? Can't see the difference.

I agree with you mostly. However, there is something that makes good kids, good kids and bad kids, bad kids. Any kid can go either way. Something in their environment determined which way. I don't see a reason to blame technology for any of this because it has always been this way.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Hmmmmm. I would find a less expensive pacifier / babysitter for my kid if I had one. Or just do my job and raise my kid. I've actually seen infants carrying around iPhones in the stroller. Ain't that much crying in this world would make me give them Mommy's toys.

Sent from my Black 32GB Verizon iPhone 4 in NYC using Tap

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm amazed at the number of people that buy their sub 5 year old children their own devices like an iPad.

It just seems insane......

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kindergartens in Australia are installing iPads so I donot understand why it is insane to have a toddler use an iPad. The education benefits are enormous.

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm amazed at the number of people that buy their sub 5 year old children their own devices like an iPad. It just seems insane......

I agree on it being insane. Unfortunately because this technology is pushed at everyone at such a younger and younger age kids need to keep up with it just to compete on a level field. I really do think a very small part of it is only for learning and the big part of it is to pacify kids. I see it all around at schools, sporting events, supermarkets and stores of all sorts. We may as well forget we're surrounded by nature and just plug everybody in. (Alright, maybe being a little dramatic)

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Let's face it, kids will need to learn how to use these devices in today's world to get ahead.

For me though giving a child under 2 an iPad is ridiculous.....this is a time when they need our interaction in their lives. They also need the time to develop their fine motor skills through all sorts of play with a variety of different toys. This is also when they develop social skills when playing with other children.....giving them iPads so young will rob them of other important skills or delay this development altogether!

Don't even start me on pacifiers! ;)

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just to add to the use of iPads...so much of it is used for our pediatric clients who have developmental delays or permanent motor skills that require the use of technology to improve their quality of life. Therefore iPads for some May start at a very young age, since this is their only ways to communicate or to perform simply tasks.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Uhhhhhhh...... Another myth made by "Professionals" and responsible "Parents". Whenever I hear news like this I am always like "Stupid people, stupid people everywhere.". I just can't argue with them anymore.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm amazed at the number of people that buy their sub 5 year old children their own devices like an iPad. It just seems insane......

Yes, it is!!! :(

Sent from my Black Verizon 32GB iPhone 4 From NYC!!! using iPF

Most reactions