What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad update and iTunes Trouble w/iOS 3.2.1

Terryg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For the life of me I can't get to update once in iTunes. Only options are music, movies, etc. I keep getting dropped signals and thought that this upgrade would help my wi-fi. I searched the forums to no avail, but I am a newbie and need help b/4 I run off to the Apple store and wait and wait. I am sure it is a user error. This is my first post and I can only hope that it makes the Forum. Regards, Terry

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Someone will pop along soon and I am useless ~ but the fiirst few days I had troubles and I had yet to find this place, I would call the apple store and they walked me through everything. And trust me I called a lot.:D. All the guys were awesome.

Try it. Bet they will fix it in a minute.:)

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can not update via the iTunes app on the iPad itself. You need to connect to you pc or Mac and open iTunes there. Once the iPad is recognized your first screen will show the OS and stats, if it doesn't prompt you automatically, click the update now button.

OP
T

Terryg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How to update w/o computer

Since I do not have the required equipment to upgrade my iPod to the iOS 3.2.1' what does one do. I do not have a p/c any other type of cyber space hardware. All I have is this iPad and it is about to send me back to my web tv (I hope not). In fact if I did have a computer, I'd be lucky to know how to turn it on. This iPad was a gift and I am not about to look in it's mouth. When I said I was a newbie, I wasn't kidding and I understand that all I need to develop skills is time on line. I am not sure how many more trips around the sun I have left. Is it so complicated that it leaves my generation behind.
I know I am missing the boat, but was told that this device was the key to my catching the next one. I do want to join this elite fraternity. Oh well, if this is the worst thing that happens to me, I will always have a smile on my face. Regards, TG

mslammers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
No Computer To Use With iPad

:(Terry,
As far as the "next generation" goes, I am 72 1/2 and don't feel left behind. I recommend you get the cheapest desktop computer [and you should be able to find on in the 500 dollar range at Walmart] since Apple told me when I was having a minor problem "iTunes runs/enables the iPad" so if you don't have one you will be pretty much out of luck. There is a new OS coming out for the iPad in the fall, and you will want that. OS 4.0

If you are not willing to get a computer or have a friend that can loan you theirs once a week, you should probably sell your iPad since you will never be able to use it successfully.
I am sorry about this, but one must keep up with the technology. If you drive a Model T, then I take it all back. :)

Mel

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nah, no way, you don't need to sell it at all, that's silly. My friend has never connected hers to her computer aside from the initial set up. I will be doing her update for her but she's not in a hurry to have it done.

1st choice is to ask any friend/relative who has a computer to do the upgrade for you.
2nd choice is to make an appointment and take it to an apple store or maybe even the geeksquad at Bestbuy so they can do the upgrade for you.
3rd choice is to see if any forum members are close by and can meet you at some coffee shop with their laptop. I'd do it for you, if you were near San Francisco?

pik0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.TheDailyMapper.com
Yes, it's a double edged sword. You need a base computer of some sort to do iOS updates. But, on the the plus side, iTunes on the computer makes a complete backup of the device so you can restore in the case of failure or loss. Just as, if you ever want to be able to recover the device in the field, you'll need to sign up for MobileMe.

Cool part is, you just need a friend who has a mac or PC. Have them create a separate account for you on their computer so you can login and manage your backups.

Piko

mslammers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Terry,
Yes you can get a friend to "loan" you their computer to update and etc. Note that the Backup is made on the computer you attach to. So they will have your backup data. Choose wisely.
Either a very good friend who is close by or relative in close proximity.
Good luck

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
You can also stop by a local apple store and upgrade it there.

When you click to update it will ask if you would like to perform a restore, just select no.
it should update and keep all your apps/settings.

Most reactions