What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad turns on when I unplug it

Rpickoff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I power down my iPad 2 and plug it in to charge. When I unplug it, my Lock screen immediately appears as if I never powered it down. Is this a setting I am unaware of? Any help appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I power down my iPad 2 and plug it in to charge. When I unplug it, my Lock screen immediately appears as if I never powered it down. Is this a setting I am unaware of? Any help appreciated!

It's a feature not a bug. Not sure why they did this but all iPads come up into the lock screen state when they're unplugged. Somewhere deep in the dungeons of Apple there is guy who wrote that little bit of code.....

Anybody got an explanation as to why this was programmed into iOS? I've never seen this discussed before - it's something we've all come to accept without question, I guess.

A slightly more bizarre and potentially 'dangerous' feature is that, if you have a Bluetooth keyboard that you use with your iPad and the iPad is in sleep mode and you hit a key on the Bluetooth keyboard 'waking it up' then it wakes up the iPad too - but bypasses the lock screen and goes straight to the Home screen. If you've got your Autolock set to 'Never' you can easily find that your iPad battery has discharged completely without you noticed it.....

Tim

Last edited:

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It just lets you know the state of charge (top right) before you take it away.
I find it useful.

OP
R

Rpickoff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
It's a feature not a bug. Not sure why they did this but all iPads come up into the lock screen state when they're unplugged. Somewhere deep in the dungeons of Apple there is guy who wrote that little bit of code.....

Anybody got an explanation as to why this was programmed into iOS? I've never seen this discussed before - it's something we've all come to accept without question, I guess.

A slightly more bizarre and potentially 'dangerous' feature is that, if you have a Bluetooth keyboard that you use with your iPad and the iPad is in sleep mode and you hit a key on the Bluetooth keyboard 'waking it up' then it wakes up the iPad too - but bypasses the lock screen and goes straight to the Home screen. If you've got your Autolock set to 'Never' you can easily find that your iPad battery has discharged completely without you noticed it.....

Tim

Thanks for the quick reply. I too will join the ranks of the accepting.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It just lets you know the state of charge (top right) before you take it away.
I find it useful.

Brilliant - I learn something new every day on this Forum. I'd never thought of that!! Thanks for letting us know - a mystery solved.

Tim

Most reactions