What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad & TSA

rtcfrtc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A discussion in our home - my assumption is the iPad is not a computer and is not subject to separate scrutiny at airports, has anyone experienced otherwise? Has anyone experienced heightened search leaving one in the carry-on through x-ray?
thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A discussion in our home - my assumption is the iPad is not a computer and is not subject to separate scrutiny at airports, has anyone experienced otherwise? Has anyone experienced heightened search leaving one in the carry-on through x-ray?
thanks

I've always played safe and put it out separately - i.e. treated it as though it were a laptop. The reason is that, if it is in your handbaggage and the X-ray operator thinks it's a laptop, they'll simply hold you, get you to empty your hand baggage in order to check it out and probably want to put it back through the X-ray machine a second time. Getting it out is easy and my hand baggage then causes no problem.

Plus, I've found the security personnel very interested in the iPad and I've given several informal 'demonstrations'. I reckon I've probably sold a few ....

Tim
Scotland

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For TSA the iPad is considered as a computer . I was last month in the US and had to take it out of my carry-on for all flights .
As the TSA guy said : "When in doubt , take it out"

adammsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For TSA the iPad is considered as a computer . I was last month in the US and had to take it out of my carry-on for all flights .

lol, in my mind i read "When in doubt , WHIP it out"

i crack myself up :)

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

lol, in my mind i read "When in doubt , WHIP it out"

i crack myself up :)

I haven't visited the USA since the commencement of the "grope search" but this seems to be a logical extension:) of the concept. I like Dave Letterman's quip about the searches, "How much do you tip for that?".

Seriously though, in Australia, they explicitly mention that iPad must be removed for inspection.

haggisgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've traveled through various airports around the US over a dozen times since getting my Ipad and have never removed it from my carrying case and have never been questioned about it.

Reaction score
It depends on the person checking, you could go through security with it being in your bag, but not always. But for example, in London Heathrow, I even had to take out a Kindle, so that it could be checked separately.

That said, if you travel with multiple electrical devices, you might want to take out only one and hope you can get through. Last time I was leaving the UK with a laptop, iPad and Kindle DX and had taken all three out, it earned me a nice conversation with the security. :D

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have flown on domestic and international flights and have never (knock wood) even been asked to turn it on. Like others have said, I just put it in a separate basket just like it was a "real" computer!

Blackjack

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I travel through airports 2x a week and never take mine out. Never been hassled either.

dogenia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I go through airports in Europe, Caribbean, the US and Latin America often and always take it out.

They searched my bag once because they saw the Apple Magic Trackpad I had just purchased. I hardly think it was worth the half hour search of my carryon. Definitely take it out.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It puzzles me why they only want the actual computer removed. What about power supplies/chargers, spare batteries, portable hard drives etc.

If there is any logic at all, it may be that removing the largest item reduces the visual clutter in the Xray image.

They want any large electronic devices removed by they way. I had to remove a CPAP (Resmed) machine recently. Invariably the are very interested in just what on earth it is. One official said that she would get one for husband once the purpose of the device had been explained.

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It depends on the person checking, you could go through security with it being in your bag, but not always. :D

What he said ^^^^

Over the past 9 months (since I have had my iPad) with about 65K miles during that time:

DAB (my home airport) - Never
MCO (my other home airport) - Sometimes
SDF - Never
CVG- Sometimes
MSP - Always
IAH - Sometimes
PHX - Most of the time
ORD - Sometimes
MIA - Usually
BDL - Always
IAD - Rarely

Those are the ones I remember, because I went in and out of them the most.
The thing to remember about TSA is that it is not the people on the line that are looking at you, it is the people up above looking through the cameras and glass walls who are watching to see how you react to your stuff being pulled/searched/re-scanned.

iChuckNorris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I generally travel with 2 laptops but haven't traveled with the iPad yet. I just assumed that I would have to treat it like a laptop, but it's interesting to read other people's experience. I'm traveling internationally next month, so now I guess I'll have to put three plastic bins through the machine now... great.

Ingoiolo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
rtcfrtc said:
thanks

More and more it is assimilated to a laptop in European airports

Snowlady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have flown with mine four times since I got it at Christmas and leave it in my handbag like my old kindle...no issue.

Most reactions