What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad touchscreen not responding

markff1306

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an Ipad 4, a couple months ago the screen broke I bought a new one paid around 20.00 dollars on ebay. Replaced it myself worked great for about 1 month then noticed certain parts would not respond would go crazy sometimes opening apps typing by itself. I could turn if off and back on it would be ok. Now the touch screen does not respond at all. Do you think I got a cheap screen and another better screen would fix the problem.
I have tried everything I can. I've taken the screen out checked connections restarted nothing works. Do you think another screen would solve the problems?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have an Ipad 4, a couple months ago the screen broke I bought a new one paid around 20.00 dollars on ebay. Replaced it myself worked great for about 1 month then noticed certain parts would not respond would go crazy sometimes opening apps typing by itself. I could turn if off and back on it would be ok. Now the touch screen does not respond at all. Do you think I got a cheap screen and another better screen would fix the problem.
I have tried everything I can. I've taken the screen out checked connections restarted nothing works. Do you think another screen would solve the problems?

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) First, I would need a 'Magic Ball' to answer your questions above - did you really obtain a workable product at the price paid, what is your experience in fixing a defective iPad, and what guides did you use (and did you do the steps correctly)?

Second, please provide us some information: 1) How old is this iPad and did you obtain it new; 2) What do you mean that the 'screen broke' - just happened or was the device damaged; and 3) What was your warranty when this 'damage' occurred? May just help us given you suggestions - :rolleyes:

Finally, check iFixit Guides to see if you did the repair correctly (sorry, if this is where you obtained directions - you did not tell us) - my suggestion is to follow the directions at the link provided and obtain quality products - the price could be steep? Another thought is to take your device to an Apple store or an authorized Apple dealer/repair shop and obtain an estimate - if you are 'out of warranty', then consider obtaining another iPad - good luck. Dave

old-wizard-cartoon-looking-magic-ball-29931548.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's no way to tell for sure without a diagnostic test but you probably have a defective touchscreen. If so, a replacement will be necessary. This time you may want to consider a genuine replacement screen as using third party knock-off screens is a bit like playing the lottery.

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
3 possible things could have happened here (in order of likeliness):
1. Flex cable is caught between glass and metal chassis of iPad , it should fold down in gap next to LCD. Getting pinched would cause the symptoms you described.
2. The connectors on the logic board were not properly secured (tabs weren't flipped down).
3. Defective Digitizer, though this is usually determined right away, not a couple of months down the road.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
3 possible things could have happened here (in order of likeliness):
1. Flex cable is caught between glass and metal chassis of iPad , it should fold down in gap next to LCD. Getting pinched would cause the symptoms you described.
2. The connectors on the logic board were not properly secured (tabs weren't flipped down).
3. Defective Digitizer, though this is usually determined right away, not a couple of months down the road.

Hi Brian - I've enjoyed your many posts especially pertaining to iPad repairs - just curious (if you would like to respond - under no obligation), do you do this for a living and/or as a 'hobbyist' (by the latter meaning that I'm a pretty good woodworker, but still my hobby and certainly not a professional) - thanks for any comments. Dave :)

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Brian - I've enjoyed your many posts especially pertaining to iPad repairs - just curious (if you would like to respond - under no obligation), do you do this for a living and/or as a 'hobbyist' (by the latter meaning that I'm a pretty good woodworker, but still my hobby and certainly not a professional) - thanks for any comments. Dave :)

Happy to oblige. I do repair iPads, computers and other iOS devices as a side business. I started out by buying broken iPads and fixing them up for family or resale. Now I do this for customers ,almost going on a year. Learned from ifixit, YouTube and other local repair shops. I'm a huge proponent or reusing and repairing especially in the field of computers and iPads. A lot of folks are surprised that their 5 year old laptop or even their iPad 2 are still perfectly usable devices with some life left to them.

Most reactions

Latest posts