What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad to TV Issue

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Either way I go I have a terrible fit on my 46 inch screen! I can plug in with the cord to HDMI or wireless to Apple TV and the default view gives me about 8 inches on both sides of the picture that are not being used. I press the zoom button on the TV and the picture fills the screen but I lose some of the screen off the top and the bottom!

What am I doing wrong?

doc.zed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure about the ipad 3 but on the 2 when your plugged into your tv go to settings - tv out - widescreen. Hope that helps.

doc.zed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The TV out is under, settings - general then you should see a tv out. And make sure it is plugged into the tv or it will not be there.

OP
Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For the life of me I didn't see it last night. Maybe I should have restarted the iPad while being hooked up. If this doesn't work I'm gonna have to jailbreak and go with the app below.

[Moderator edit: Removed link advocating where to download a paid Cydia app for free (piracy). Please be more careful with your links - or don't be a pirate. Thanks.]

I had no idea that the link was giving the option to download the Cydia app for free as I'm not into that CRAP whatsoever!

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Either way I go I have a terrible fit on my 46 inch screen! I can plug in with the cord to HDMI or wireless to Apple TV and the default view gives me about 8 inches on both sides of the picture that are not being used. I press the zoom button on the TV and the picture fills the screen but I lose some of the screen off the top and the bottom!

What am I doing wrong?

Do you mean on the left and right?

You do realize that the ipad outputs a 4:3 image while your HD TV is 16:9, right? That means that the displaying the iPad screen on your TV its going to be more square-like as opposed to rectangular-like for your TV. There is nothing you can really do about that. This is natural when displaying the iPads screen on your TV. So you may not be doing anything wrong.

Pictures often help because then we can be sure we are understanding each other.

OP
Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes I'm fully aware of the 4:3 & 16:9 but when I had jailbroken my iPad 2 there was an app called TVOut 2 I believe and it allowed you to stretch your output to fill as much of the screen size as you wanted and it looked very nice! The app I referenced above does the same but again you have to be jailbroken to do so. doc.zed is trying to tell me that this is a regular setting now and I'm hoping he is correct. It should be. Apple should give us a tool to send the display to wide screen TVs since that is the culture that we live in and since the jailbreaking community has had this feature for about 2 years now!

Sorry for the lack of a photo but yes terrible fit on my 46 inch TV, both sides does = the left and the right and then when I hit the zoom on the TV remote to fill the screen I lose some of the ipad's top and bottom off the top and bottom of the screen.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts