What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad to lead the e-Reader Market

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ipad-ereader-marketshare.gif

ChangeWave has released new survey data showing the Apple could immediately take the top spot among e-reader devices over the next 90 days. Among people planning to purchase an e-reader, 40% say they will purchase and iPad over the Amazon Kindle, Barnes & Nobile Nook, and the Sony Reader.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, to be objective, the fact that iPad is not out yet weighs big in there, because it does not factor in the ones in other categories that the others wanting a device have gotten them. So they did not say they wanted one...
No one could abstain from voting on the iPad for already owning one yet... :shrug:

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Was that clear? :D

Let me rephrase that. If the iPad had been in people's hands for some time, would the people in their possession vote that they'd buy one?

rob the elder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have used ITUNES and have 4 AppleTVs deployed since they first became available . . . so long ago I forget when I deployed them. I have a lot of experience with the ITUNES business model.

I have had a mod2 Kindle for over a year.

The two business models are not really comparible.

ITUNES comes with a you buy it and that is it relationship. You download the file and if you loose it, too bad. You can buy it again but you are out of luck. You are responsible for managing your own data, have a nice day.

This has resulted in my investing in not one, not two but THREE windows home servers, and ITUNES host and migrating to 18 TB of spinning disk in what has become my home computer lab.

Dont get me wrong, I am ok with this but I have to say that the average buyer will probably not be madly in love with this business model.

Amazon has a totally different business model for the Kindle. You buy a book from them and THEY host it on their servers for you. You can down load it to your computer, your Kindle or your IPHONE and in future to your IPAD when you want to access the book, then you can delete it from your device. Amazon maintains it for you. The 18 TB of spinning disk, backups, all the over head is handled by Amazon.

I have built up an inventory of hundreds of books for my Kindle. I can read any of them any time I want and do. Then I "put them away".

When I buy another Kindle on my account, the entirty of my library is now available in similar manner to all of my Kindles. So the wife, the kids all can read any of my books when ever they wish. And if the wife buys a new book on my account, I can choose to read it now or a year from now without having to maintain a soft copy on my servers, and backing them up and . . . well you get the idea.

Now as to form factor. My Kindle2 has a display about the same size, look and utility as a printed page. The wife can and will read all day on a Kindle but can not say the same for a display. It gives her headaches. Also the Kindle formfactor makes it one handed while laying down friendly. Since I can change the font to large or small, I make it large for the wife and small for me.

I am buying the IPAD for me to use when I am in the bathtub and want to stream a TV show or check my email when a laptop is too heavy or too akward. The IPAD will clearly have a function to fill in my household, but not as a computer nor as an E reader.

I will stick with my Kindle and I know that my wife would refuse to even try to read a book on an IPAD. Gives me headaches dear.

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's a good thing Amazon doesn't need the Kindle to sell units to make money because I sense a good market-share decrease coming for them.

iBean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was reading a review of Kindle1 & kindle2 on their site, from a customer who had up graded. She was quite upset to find that most of her K1 library was not compatible with her K2. And even though Amazon claimed to have saved all her purchased material, lots of it could not be downloaded to her new machine. She was not a happy camper & Amazon did not seem to be interested in trying to figure out a solution.

Garbageman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Reading ebooks on a portable electronic device is nice. Paying for those books every time you have a desire to read is not. At 10, 12, 13, 14 dollars a pop the cost of reading on a proprietary device is expensive. After research, I chose the Sony eReader because it allows me to download books from public libraries including recent releases. Will the Ipad allow that, I'm not sure.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wonder if iBooks will support a similar scheme to Sony's, where a book can be stored on a maximum of 6 different registered devices. That includes your computers, servers and whatnots.

I'm not too sure on what the difference is between that K1 and K2 problem other that they'd be registered on two different user names...

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not a E-reader at all, even i like to read book, but until i don't get a good use experience , recently i download and buy the app's classic in my Iphone and i like the user experience so now i am looking for more E-book i will use in my Ipad ..

I can understand the concern for the open format, but is a commercial war like for the game nobody is asking to play (officially) Super Mario in a Xbox , right ??

So for the book is a little similar, is not so good but is the rule of the competition

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There has been an accord adhered to by most manufacturers, authors and publishing houses on an ebook standard. EPUB. This is the format iPad uses and that will eventually be the Defacto in the industry. The final difference will be with the DRM encoding each entity uses.

Most reactions

Latest posts