iPad Tethering

Discussion in 'iPad Hacking' started by asmny, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Bremen

Bremen
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Thanks kheldour, but I tried snow breeze twice, and it failed both times in the iTunes part..... No love at all......

The 3.1.3 seems to be the problem. I had no interest in jail breaking until I got my iPad, and of course I had already upgraded to 3.1.3....... Oh well.....

2. andyipad

andyipad
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:

I used iphonemodem to setup my iphone as a wireless hub, cost you $10. You need to jailbreak your iphone those, and your OS needs to be 3.12 or earlier.

If you still have 3.11, then there is a free version from CNET

Videos - Free video downloads and streaming video - CNET TV

3. Bremen

Bremen
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Just an update.... I did get my iPhone jail broke , and am doing fine on MyWi.

4. ryan8813

ryan8813
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Anyone have success with my wi on an older iPhone? My 3G is jailbroken but I think it's running 2.1.

5. Rasputina

Rasputina
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    The 3G ipads also can use straight wifi. Just like my iphone can and does.

6. KronicKaos

KronicKaos
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Just give it a little time. I just read that GeoHot has jail broken OS 4 already (along with the iPad OS) so it's only a matter of time before 3.1.3 is jail broken

7. TheBaron

TheBaron
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I'm confused about 3.1.3 not being jailbreakable. I have 3.1.3 and jailbroke it just fine. I don't recall if I used red snow or Snowbreeze to do it, but it was really simple and worked fine. I have a 3G and not a 3GS in case that matters?
    I've been too paranoid to tether it to my ipad though. I want to see if anybody gets hit by a gigantic bill from AT&T before I give it a shot.
    Also, there's a free tether app in cydia called Internet Tethering 3.0. Why not just use that instead of paying for MyWi?

8. kheldour

kheldour
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I heard that the iPad seems to have an issue with tethering? Can somebody please confirm this.

Alternative to the jailbreaked iPhone with MyWi is the Huawei 5830 device. Available in US and UK:

The Huawei E5830 wireless modem sends out a Wi-Fi signal to give you internet connection whenever you need it. With your own mobile Wi-Fi connection (known as MiFi®) so you can connect different Wi-Fi enabled devices at once and get fast internet speeds with no wires, no hassles and no need for a Wi-Fi hotspot.
    The E5830 is really easy to use and fits in your pocket. Just turn on your wireless modem, switch on connection to the 3 network, and select the Wi-Fi function. Then choose the Wi-Fi option on whichever device you’re using. There's no need to load any software to get online using the Huawei E5830. The wireless modem gives you download speeds of up to 3.6Mbps (megabits per second) and comes with a battery that lets you stay connected to the internet for up to 5 hours.
    The E5830 also comes with onboard software that starts each time you connect it to a PC or laptop using the USB cable. The software allows you to send and receive text messages and change settings for your Wi-Fi connection.

[​IMG]

Available on UK-eBay for round about $100. In the US most likely cheaper.

9. Bremen

Bremen
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    A few post above this one, is an update that I did get it jail broke :)

It was pretty easy one I quit screwing around with Snowbreze. The latest Redsnow did the trick....

10. Bremen

Bremen
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    As for as concern about AT&T and a huge bill .... I would't stream anything, or do huge downloads for sure. I did it for simple email and browsing, and not every day use. It is my understanding that as long as your monthly usage is under 5gigs, it stays under their radar. If it gets over 5 gigs, then it starts throwing red flags.

Of course, I could be completely wrong.......