What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Sync & Backup are no longer available on iTunes

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I right-click on iPad under DEVICES in iTunes and see only options of "Eject" and "Restore from Backup..."

On the right-hand side I can see only Set Up Your iPad which provides options of "Set up as a new iPad" and "Restore from the backup of:"
iPad.JPG
I wonder if it is because I didn't do a restore from the backup after installation of the jailbreak software.

If it is the case I might be in the trouble because I have just bought and downloaded an app. I might lose the app I bought if I do a restore now. I didn't do a restore after the jailbreak installation because there was nothing to restore. The iPad was empty before the installation apart from the iOS, no extra app and no personal data and no personal file. I discovered the problem when I wanted to back up the iPad after I downloaded and set up the new app I bought.

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
If your trying at the stage shown in your picture then the backup option won't be available because you haven't set your iPad up yet!! So there's nothing to backup.

fulip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If your trying at the stage shown in your picture then the backup option won't be available because you haven't set your iPad up yet!! So there's nothing to backup.
agree

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I right-click on iPad under DEVICES in iTunes and see only options of "Eject" and "Restore from Backup..."

On the right-hand side I can see only Set Up Your iPad which provides options of "Set up as a new iPad" and "Restore from the backup of:"
View attachment 23003
I wonder if it is because I didn't do a restore from the backup after installation of the jailbreak software.

If it is the case I might be in the trouble because I have just bought and downloaded an app. I might lose the app I bought if I do a restore now. I didn't do a restore after the jailbreak installation because there was nothing to restore. The iPad was empty before the installation apart from the iOS, no extra app and no personal data and no personal file. I discovered the problem when I wanted to back up the iPad after I downloaded and set up the new app I bought.

Once you buy an app, it's yours. So, granted, the app will be moved from the iPad when you do the "restore from backup." However, once iTunes has finished putting the backup - and all your apps, data and settings - on the iPad, you can go back to the iTunes st and get other app back. The only bad thing about this process is that you will probably lose any data already in the new app (as it won't be included in the backup).

Hope this reassures.

Marilyn

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Obviously, if the iPad had not been set up I would not have been using it. Moreover, I have new app and new data installed on the iPad. Something has to be wrong. Either I miss something or there are bugs somewhere.

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Once you buy an app, it's yours. Marilyn

Thanks Marilyn,

Is the situation I am in because I didn't do the restore after installation of the jailbreaking software?

Since there are already changes on the iPad, why doesn't iTunes allow to back up? How could it detect the iPad is not set up?

How am I supposed to get the app back from the iTunes or through the iTunes? Is it the iTunes on the backup computer or the iTunes on the iPad? Do I get it back from the vendor or from my backup? But I haven't done a backup after the app is installed.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn,

Is the situation I am in because I didn't do the restore after installation of the jailbreaking software? Since there are already changes on the iPad, why doesn't iTunes allow to back up? How could it detect the iPad is not set up?

I would say yes, that is the answer. I would assume that, after the jailbreak, you just started using the iPad instead of going back to iTunes and putting the [a?] backup on it. So, now that you've attached the iPad to the computer for the first time since you did the jail break, iTunes thinks you have a new iPad - so it wants to set it up for you.

For the second part of your question: When you did the jail break, you restored the iPad to 'like new." So, to your iTunes account, this is a "brand" new" iPad that has never been connected to iTunes. That's why you get that popup.

If you only have one app on it - my suggestion is to select the restore from backup option. That way, iTunes will put your iPad back to the way it was at the time of backup. Then, this won't appear again.

How am I supposed to get the app back from the iTunes or through the iTunes? Is it the iTunes on the backup computer or the iTunes on the iPad? Do I get it back from the vendor or from my backup? But I haven't done a backup after the app is installed.

To get the app back on the iPad, go to the App Store on the iPad and download it. Again, you won't be charged and I believe that any data you put in it will be gone.

Marilyn

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would say yes, that is the answer. Marilyn

I had wanted to copy some photos to the iPad from the Windows system. I managed to do so by setting up the iTunes on another Windows system. I have also done a backup of the iPad that has the bought app installed before copy of photos to the iTunes of the second Windows system.

So do you think it is safe to delete the backups from the iTunes of the first Windows system which allows no more backup or synchronization so that I can start all over again? There are two backups in the first system, iOS V5.1 and iOS V5.1.1. I should not need them anymore, should I? For I have had the latest backup now on the second system.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had wanted to copy some photos to the iPad from the Windows system. I managed to do so by setting up the iTunes on another Windows system. I have also done a backup of the iPad that has the bought app installed before copy of photos to the iTunes of the second Windows system.

So do you think it is safe to delete the backups from the iTunes of the first Windows system which allows no more backup or synchronization so that I can start all over again? There are two backups in the first system, iOS V5.1 and iOS V5.1.1. I should not need them anymore, should I? For I have had the latest backup now on the second system.

So, on the second computer, are you able to (1) connect the iPad without getting that pop-up, (2) able to sync your iPad and (3) do a backup of that iPad? If yes, then the second computer is now THE computer to which you should sync your iPad. Apple pretty much has a "one iPad, one iTunes" thing, so you should sync your iPad with but one iTunes. And, if all those questions are yes, then no, you you don't need the backups on the first system (mainly because you should never sync your iPad with it again...).

Please let me know if I misunderstood your question - otherwise, hope that helped.

Marilyn

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So, on the second computer, are you able to (1) connect the iPad without getting that pop-up, (2) able to sync your iPad and (3) do a backup of that iPad?Marilyn

There has been no error message. I could do backup and synchronization on the second computer. However I still would like to get back to the first computer because the first computer is a Windows 7 system which is my main computer I always use. The second computer is only a stand-by XP computer.

If I won't ever need the backup I created on the first computer I am thinking to re-install the iTunes or erase the backup data etc there in order to bring the iTunes back to usable state.

However what happens if the iPad is mucked up one way or another, say for example, corrupted by malware or accident, how to get the iPad back to a usable state without a backup for it is not like a desktop or laptop that comes with a CD/DVD or some hidden partition to restore the system. So I had supposed the backup of the original iPad was the only recourse.

Most reactions

Latest posts