What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad suction mount. Is it safe?

murshidm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys... Im on the lookout for a good car mount for my ipad. Windscreen suction mount would be ideal.
I just want to know whether its safe. Im worried that it might fall off on high speeds / tight bends.

Tx.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wouldn't use a suction cup for iPad. I've tried various suction cup devices for lighter devices, such as GPS and iPods, and they've invariably failed and the devices have fallen. In those cases, the devices were less fragile than iPad. Even suction cups that worked at first would start losing effectiveness after continued weather exposure in my cars -- heat and cold.

OP
murshidm

murshidm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I wouldn't use a suction cup for iPad. I've tried various suction cup devices for lighter devices, such as GPS and iPods, and they've invariably failed and the devices have fallen. In those cases, the devices were less fragile than iPad. Even suction cups that worked at first would start losing effectiveness after continued weather exposure in my cars -- heat and cold.

Thanks for the info bud. You pretty much sum up all my concerns. Dash mount is the best way to go i guess, Probably when i have money for an extra ipad of course.lol

pmuldoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I came to the same conclusion about the suction cup approach. They will ultimately not hold up in the long run.
I would like to recommend the company Ram Mounting Systems. They make a wide variety of solutions for affixing your iPad in your vehicle. They are very well made and they take into account whether you own an iPad1 or 2, since the first is slightly thicker.
I chose the cup holder insert mount because I found on another forum that it would work for both of my vehicles (2012 Mini-Cooper and 2006 Acura TL) and there was no attaching it to the chair slide rail like most of the others. The solution I purchased holds my iPad2 in place over any road conditions thus far. I have to travel over some pretty bumpy country roads every day so I have put my mount to the test.
Hope this helps.

OP
murshidm

murshidm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pmuldoon said:
I came to the same conclusion about the suction cup approach. They will ultimately not hold up in the long run.
I would like to recommend the company Ram Mounting Systems. They make a wide variety of solutions for affixing your iPad in your vehicle. They are very well made and they take into account whether you own an iPad1 or 2, since the first is slightly thicker.
I chose the cup holder insert mount because I found on another forum that it would work for both of my vehicles (2012 Mini-Cooper and 2006 Acura TL) and there was no attaching it to the chair slide rail like most of the others. The solution I purchased holds my iPad2 in place over any road conditions thus far. I have to travel over some pretty bumpy country roads every day so I have put my mount to the test.
Hope this helps.

Thanks. Do you have a reference to that product? Link perhaps. Tx again.

pmuldoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go to Amazon, type in Ram Mounting Systems for Automotive and it is currently #5 on their list. It looks a little weird, with a cylinder with fins for a base and a snake-like neck topped with the holding bracket. It is currently listed at about $40.00. I hope that helps. I would read the reviews before purchasing since that is how I found out about which vehicles the mount did and did not work in.

Yarrenbool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check out the thread:

"Best car mount on the market for any tablet"
(Sorry, I don't know how to include a link to a specific message.)

I've just posted a reply on this very thing.

Yes, suction cup windshield iPad mounts can work, if you get the right one.

My first purchase was bad and returned. The second I bought is absolutely rock-solid! I also have a cup-holder one but it keeps the screen too low for quick glances without taking your eyes off the road for too long.

Do go read my reply in the thread I've mentioned, it is not cheap, but it is rock-solid.

pmuldoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just read that thread. I did not know about the other options like the Padholder or the suction cup Ram version that you mentioned and use. I liked that you mentioned that "Best" is really up to the individual user. My cup holder Ram mount is best for me since I utilize it mostly in my 2012 Mini-Cooper and space is a premium. It isn't positioned as well as I would like but anywhere else would make it difficult to drive.

I'm glad you posted to this thread. I learned quite a bit more. Thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts