What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad stuck after PwnageTool Restore!

OP
I

infine0n

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oh my god it works! I don't know why it is working now, I think using iBooty helped?? Maybe it was stuck in tethered jailbreak mode, and I needed iBooty to boot it somehow? I don't know, but I am so relieved lol..

Now that I am running 4.3.1, should I wait until there is an untethered jailbreaking process to do?

Thanks!

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
infine0n said:
ok it is restoring to 4.3.1 in iTunes under my windows 7 machine without using PwnageTool to put it in pwned mode..I have a feeling it will restore just like every time, and just go back to recovery after it tries to reboot...

Hope it works

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
infine0n said:
oh my god it works! I don't know why it is working now, I think using iBooty helped?? Maybe it was stuck in tethered jailbreak mode, and I needed iBooty to boot it somehow? I don't know, but I am so relieved lol..

Now that I am running 4.3.1, should I wait until there is an untethered jailbreaking process to do?

Thanks!

I do think you could have gotten out of the recovery loop with a little more effort. Took me a while to learn about it the first time it happened to me.
Also, were you running gp as administrator and using "windows xp sp2" compatibility mode?
From the screenshot you showed, gp should still be communicating with the iPad at this point. If it hangs here it indicates gp had stopped working on the pc. The settings i mentioned above are important to combat this on Windows7.

Anyhoo, we suspect 4.3.1 untether is very close now, so to avoid further drama you might consider just waiting for that now you are back to stock 4.3.1...

yocohen77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey all

I'm having a very similar problem and I was hoping you guys could help me.
I'm stuck in the recovery loop with my iPad, iTunes and Windows 7 won't recognize it, not even in the device manager as a unknown device.
I tried DFU mode but none of the jail breaking softwares seems to detect it when on DFU mode (I tried TinyUmbrella, Blackra1n, iBooty and Greenpoison, they all failed).
I tried three USB cables and like 8 USB ports, so it's not that.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yocohen77 said:
Hey all

I'm having a very similar problem and I was hoping you guys could help me.
I'm stuck in the recovery loop with my iPad, iTunes and Windows 7 won't recognize it, not even in the device manager as a unknown device.
I tried DFU mode but none of the jail breaking softwares seems to detect it when on DFU mode (I tried TinyUmbrella, Blackra1n, iBooty and Greenpoison, they all failed).
I tried three USB cables and like 8 USB ports, so it's not that.

Have you just tried a hard reset? I have been stuck in recovery loop twice, first time a reset worked, the second time I used tinyumbrella.

hal1l

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks!

got the exactly same $&@?, after update stuck in dfu mode, umprella only fix recovery and same picture as you showed, can you discribe in detail all step to kick it out of recovery mode.
Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
hal1l said:
2 days (the whole weekend) trying to raise the ipad from the dead and nothing as a result!!!

I appreciate you are frustrated, but as Davina says, "please do not swear". It's against the forum rules!

This thread has got a little confused so I can't really tell what jailbreak, version, or platform you are using.
If you post us some exact details of your PC setup, jailbreak you are using, version of IOS etc., we'll see if you can get you some help and ease your frustration.

hal1l

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tech spec

mbp pro 10.6.6
ipad - was 4.3
trying to use everything

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
hal1l said:
finally I decided to deal with hosts file, and deleded there last line (apple bla bla)
and then restored with 4.3.2

I am pleased to hear you finally got it fixed.
The reason I asked for details is it is the details that help you find the problem. Saying you tried "everything" doesn't really narrow down the options to any great degree.
If you had mentioned that you had either used TinyUmbrella OR edited your hosts file yourself (whichever one it actually was), then we would have been able to tell you that was your problem right away and perhaps saved you many hours of pain...
If you use TinyUmbrealla you should go to the advanced tab and untick "Set hosts to Cydia on exit", which is not the default setting.
This will allow iTunes to see the Apple signing servers whenever you try to install the latest version of IOS, which was the reason for your problem.

I hope you have a happy 4.3.2 experience from now on! :D

Most reactions

Latest posts