iPad stuck after PwnageTool Restore!

Discussion in 'iPad Hacking' started by infine0n, Apr 2, 2011.

1. infine0n

infine0n iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello all,

I have an iPad 16GB. I tried to jailbreak with PwnageTool, and everything went smooth with restoring with custom firmware in iTunes, so it seems!

After the restore is complete, the iPad stays in Recovery Mode, and all I get is a black screen (as if the iPad was off), but when I plug it into my Macbook or PC, it shows up as in Recovery Mode in iTunes every time!

I have spent hours trying to get it to work. I've tried 4.2.1, 4.2.1 custom jailbreak, 4.3.1, then back to 4.2.1. Still nothing! I am stumped at this point. I have tried holding the power button, holding the power button as well as the home button, and the iPad will not do anything unless it is plugged into a computer.

I have tried TinyUmbrella's "Fix Recovery," which brings it to a white screen, then says unable to find gbdevlist etc. etc.

I am totally stumped at this point, someone please help me!

Thank you
  2. infine0n

infine0n iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    BUMP. Please help!!!
  3. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +134 / 0
    Did you try a soft reset? Hold the power button and home button down for 10-20 sec until you see the Apple Logo.

Then let it do its thing. Try that ~ until someone else chimes in! Hang in there ~ you really can't brink an iPad.;)
  4. infine0n

infine0n iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes I have tried that. The iPad shows nothing on the screen, and has not shown anything since I started working on it, except when I try to use a program on the computer such as TinyUmbrella. I can click fix recovery, and it shows a white screen on the iPad, then it shows "unable to find gbdevlist etc. etc."

or I can use PwnageTool process, and it actually let's me restore in iTunes after I have it "pwned."

iTunes shows the iPad in "Recovery Mode" every time I connect it, but it gives me errors when I try to restore, unless I use PwnageTool process...
  5. infine0n

infine0n iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    also I can use greenpois0n jailbreak process, it starts to work right away and it shows the process on the iPad, but when it is done and says it is rebooting, it just goes blank and stays like that and iTunes still says it is in Recovery Mode :(
  6. infine0n

infine0n iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'd like to make note that it is stuck in Recovery (DFU Mode). Thanks..
  7. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +530 / 0
    I have a iPod touch 1 in exactly the same situation. It was not jail broken all that happen it was connected to a different user account on a MacBook went through normal set up and stopped in dfu mode and nothing brings it out it's dead dead dead so I wait fir answers from our forum techies
  8. infine0n

infine0n iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    help! :(
  9. DontUnderstandMyIpad

DontUnderstandMyIpad iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0
  10. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +635 / 0
    That can't be correct. Do you know what DFU mode is? It is impossible for an iPad to get stuck in a DFU loop unless you have damaged hardware.

You are likely in a recovery loop. When you kick the device out of recovery using Tinyumbrella, you know that you will still reboot into the iTunes connect screen right? (the screen with the cable showing). At this point if you connect to iTunes your device will activate (rather than iTunes saying it is stuck in recovery). This fools a lot of people into thinking they cannot get out of a recovery loop...

Connect the device back to Tinyumbrella. If it no longer says you can kick it out of recovery, then just connect to iTunes and you will be good to go...

Hope that helps.
  11. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +134 / 0

What would we do without you? I want you to teach me everything you know.

After I JB. When I JB. :D
  12. infine0n

infine0n iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I do not have the option to enter nor exit recovery in TinyUmbrella. I only have the option to Fix Recovery, and when I choose that option, the iPad lights up bright white, then gives me some text from greenpois0n.

The reason I say DFU mode is because that is what iTunes says the iPad was in under Windows XP when I tried to restore. I've tried to restore on a Mac, a Windows 7 machine, and Windows XP under VMWare on my Mac.

here is a sample image of what it looks like:

[​IMG]

When I try to restore in iTunes when in this state, it actually restores, but after it has finished restoring, it goes back into recovery mode after the iPad tries to reboot.
  13. graywolf

graywolf iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    Did you put your iPad into pwned jailbreak mode correctly? I didn't and mine was stuck.
  14. infine0n

infine0n iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well I used PwnageTool. I use the Expert mode and select the 4.2.1 firmware from my hard drive, it creates custom firmware, and then it puts the iPad in pwned mode. I have tried installing 4.2.1, 4.2.1. custom, and 4.3.1 with iTunes and TinyUmbrella. I am only able to restore the iPad when it is in pwned mode, or it does not let me recover..but once I do recover, when it is finished installing, it just goes back into recovery mode after it reboots. It is so frustrating!
  15. infine0n

infine0n iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ok it is restoring to 4.3.1 in iTunes under my windows 7 machine without using PwnageTool to put it in pwned mode..I have a feeling it will restore just like every time, and just go back to recovery after it tries to reboot...
  16. infine0n

infine0n iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    oh my god it works! I don't know why it is working now, I think using iBooty helped?? Maybe it was stuck in tethered jailbreak mode, and I needed iBooty to boot it somehow? I don't know, but I am so relieved lol..

Now that I am running 4.3.1, should I wait until there is an untethered jailbreaking process to do?

Thanks!
  17. graywolf

graywolf iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    Hope it works
  18. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +635 / 0
    I do think you could have gotten out of the recovery loop with a little more effort. Took me a while to learn about it the first time it happened to me.
    Also, were you running gp as administrator and using "windows xp sp2" compatibility mode?
    From the screenshot you showed, gp should still be communicating with the iPad at this point. If it hangs here it indicates gp had stopped working on the pc. The settings i mentioned above are important to combat this on Windows7.

Anyhoo, we suspect 4.3.1 untether is very close now, so to avoid further drama you might consider just waiting for that now you are back to stock 4.3.1...
  19. yocohen77

yocohen77 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey all

I'm having a very similar problem and I was hoping you guys could help me.
    I'm stuck in the recovery loop with my iPad, iTunes and Windows 7 won't recognize it, not even in the device manager as a unknown device.
    I tried DFU mode but none of the jail breaking softwares seems to detect it when on DFU mode (I tried TinyUmbrella, Blackra1n, iBooty and Greenpoison, they all failed).
    I tried three USB cables and like 8 USB ports, so it's not that.
  20. graywolf

graywolf iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    Have you just tried a hard reset? I have been stuck in recovery loop twice, first time a reset worked, the second time I used tinyumbrella.