What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Still Most Desired Tablet

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]
Yankee_group_iPad_survey_March_2013.JPG

Amidst the constant talk of this or that new tablet being the next iPad killer, it seems that the iPad is still the favourite of consumers, at least according to a new survey from The Yankee Group, as reported on by AppleInsider. The survey polled 506 consumers, asking them what tablet brand they planned on buying. As you can see from the table provided by The Yankee Group, the answer was a very big result for Apple, with 47% of respondents saying that they intended to buy Apple’s tablet (the figures did not indicate what percentage this was iPad mini or full-sized iPad, which would also have been very interesting). As AppleInsider notes, the figures for Apple’s main rivals are not very encouraging for them, with just 6% saying that they intend to buy a Samsung tablet, and 7% saying that they will buy an Amazon tablet (such as the Kindle Fire). And to put it in even more stark terms for Apple’s rivals, the iPad brand scored 20% higher than all the other brands put together![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Source:[/FONT] Apple's iPad by far the most desired tablet among consumers

cwinter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I call nonsense on this poll, though most polls are nonsense.

I can't find the exact methodology of the testing in any of the articles, but to me the question "What brand table do you plan to buy?" is meaningless unless it is preceed with "Are you planning to buy a table in the near term future?" It should then be followed with "Have you done any research on tablets and investigated what your own requirements are?"

The fact that 23% had no idea, tells me possibly many more also know very little about tablets and hence say "Apple iPad", because it's a household name for "tablet". The fact that hardly anyone is saying Google, with them pushing ads so hard, seems to indicate a good portion of those surveyed have not researched tablets well and are barely aware of the competition.

All surveys are flawed but drawing great conclusions from these numbers seem questionable.

Moderator Edit: toned down language

Last edited by a moderator:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
But this also shows what's in people minds. Your assumption that people are going to research tablets and investigate requirements is highly questionable.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
But this also shows what's in people minds. Your assumption that people are going to research tablets and investigate requirements is highly questionable.

I think some will. I did. That's how I ended up at apple though. The rest of the offerings just didn't cut it and I feared my long term happiness not being sustained. I was never an apple guy but ill be damned if there is a better tablet option. IMO, of course. :)

cwinter

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Not all all! What is highly questionable is saying that the results show the iPad is the most desirable tablet. It'd be like asking people to name a brand of facial tissue. The overwhelming answer will be Kleenex, which is synonymous for the type of product. That does not make it the most desirable tissue.

I think it's weak statistics that draw conclusions over-zealously. Which is the usual procedure for mass publications...

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not all all! What is highly questionable is saying that the results show the iPad is the most desirable tablet. It'd be like asking people to name a brand of facial tissue. The overwhelming answer will be Kleenex, which is synonymous for the type of product. That does not make it the most desirable tissue.

I think it's weak statistics that draw conclusions over-zealously. Which is the usual procedure for mass publications...

I can't argue with your example! However, a box of issue is a less impactful purchase. While I agree that some people will do some research, I think most will go with what is best known to them. Its the comfort factor. Who will buy an Asus over an Apple? A few, but most won't. In that sense, the chart makes some sense.

cwinter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't argue with your example! However, a box of issue is a less impactful purchase. While I agree that some people will do some research, I think most will go with what is best known to them. Its the comfort factor. Who will buy an Asus over an Apple? A few, but most won't. In that sense, the chart makes some sense.

You can make statistics say whatever you want them to say. That doesn't make them useful though.

In a poll that asks brand preference and the second highest answer is "I don't know", I'd venture to say the results are not very reliable.

As I stated before, a preference poll to me is more useful if the polled person is actually intending to purchase the type of product in the first place and has a grasp of what options are available. In that scenario, the actual preference is measured not the knowledge/product awareness of the customer itself.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can make statistics say whatever you want them to say. That doesn't make them useful though.

In a poll that asks brand preference and the second highest answer is "I don't know", I'd venture to say the results are not very reliable.

As I stated before, a preference poll to me is more useful if the polled person is actually intending to purchase the type of product in the first place and has a grasp of what options are available. In that scenario, the actual preference is measured not the knowledge/product awareness of the customer itself.

Not going to argue with you on this...but the fact is sale numbers don't lie.

cwinter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not going to argue with you on this...but the fact is sale numbers don't lie.

I agree, which is why I think the poll is flawed. Clearly, sales don't support the Nook not even being mentioned and Google selling half the tablets for Blackberry, or ASUS selling half of Dell.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree, which is why I think the poll is flawed. Clearly, sales don't support the Nook not even being mentioned and Google selling half the tablets for Blackberry, or ASUS selling half of Dell.

You may be correct. I don't have much "feel" after the first three. I would have thought Google would be higher, though, with the Nexus 7 and all....

fb si

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I went shopping for a tablet, I didnt know which brand I was going to buy. This is my first Apple product, so its not like I was a fanboi of any brand type. Tried to go 50 bucks cheaper with an Android (huge mistake) and ended up with an iPad.

ShortBus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think some will. I did. That's how I ended up at apple though. The rest of the offerings just didn't cut it and I feared my long term happiness not being sustained. I was never an apple guy but ill be damned if there is a better tablet option. IMO, of course. :)

I love android but their market offerings are slim.... very few decent apps. I have a Samsung galaxy tab and iPad 4.... the one thing the galaxy tab does a million times better than the iPad4.... google maps and gps. so basically navigation. a year ago I spent 350 bucks on a galaxy tab that has GPS sad to say the iPad 4 does not unless you get cellular.. errr not happening. so I'll keep the galaxy tab for navigation purposes. other wise my iPad 4 and iPhone 5 have replaced my windows laptop that I use to use all the time and rarely used galaxy tab..

Tapatalk'd iP5

Most reactions