What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad slow/crashes

borischelski1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
apologies i am a newbie so this topic may already have been covered.

i am aware of potential causes on my PC but not sure if similar on ipad.

i have 3g and also at home wfii both with with full signal

- often websites take quite a while to open ,my email account takes quite a while to open and often crashes meaning i have to start again.

- individual emil take a while to open as do attachments..

- downloading app updates takes a while and frequently crashes.also i can download individual updates but not all at same time so takes a while and is fiddly.

i do have all my historical emails 4000+ and also quite a few videos and photos.

can anybody suggest likelycauses or ideas to rectify?

many thanks

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi,
I would like to welcome you to the iPad Forums, an amazing online community in which iPad users alike from all walks of life come together to discuss the very piece of technology this website is name after, iPad. We hope you enjoy the forum.

We ask that you read and abide by the iPadForums rules.
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rule...ease-read.html
Check out the iPF app.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
I recommend subscribing to the iPF news feed.
Apple iPad News
For all your iPad FAQ.
iPad FAQ
iPad reviews are all right here.
iPad Reviews
How to create posts and new threads:
http://www.ipadforums.net/new-membe...-creating-posts-starting-new-threads-how.html

Once again, we are so pleased you have joined us!

Goofy8275 - User of iPadForums

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some things you can try:

Restart and reset your iPad. (These are two different things.)

You might have a slow wifi connection with iPad. iPad can be finickier about its connection to wifi than other devices. You can:

Check your router settings against what's optimal for iPad. (Instructions available on Apple.com and many threads in this forum and elsewhere online.)

Restart your router.

Erase your connections to wifi and reconnect, re-enter password and see whether that helps.

Close all your apps in the multitask bar. This approach is related to iPad 1 having limited RAM. (iPad 3 and 4 have four times the RAM of ipad 1.) You can try to compensate by closing other apps, but ultimately you might need to upgrade your iPad to a newer model. Upgraded apps and newer firmware tend to overtax iPad 1's hardware.

OP
B

borischelski1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
many thanks for replying kaykykay.

i plan to try your recommendations later but one more question if i may and sorry if it may sound a little stupid !

The ipad has 30 GB. if i delete some of the 4000 emails+ videos + apps , could this also help ?

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It would help increase your available storage space, but may not necessarily mean better app performance.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
many thanks for replying kaykykay.

i plan to try your recommendations later but one more question if i may and sorry if it may sound a little stupid !

The ipad has 30 GB. if i delete some of the 4000 emails+ videos + apps , could this also help ?

Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

A 'restart' and/or 'reset' would have been my first suggestion as already recommended - good luck!

You may want to also tell us whether your 'problems' occur w/ the 3G connection or Wi-Fi (or both); concerning Wi-Fi, have you tried other 'hotspots' to determine if your home wireless network could be the issue? Also, in your home, what router & protocols (i.e. 802.11 b/g/n) are you using and have you tried to see if the speed improves nearer to the router?

Finally, have you checked the download speed of your iPad - apps are available for that purpose (I use Speedtest from Ookla) or a number of websites can check your DL & UL speeds, e.g. HERE.

As a comparison, I just check my DL/UP speeds on my iPad & my laptop from my den (one room from the router which is 802.11 b/g) - iPad, 13.66 Mbps DL - laptop, 17.99 Mbps DL - uploads are slower (which is usual) - now I'm not having any concerns w/ these DL speeds, so test your speeds. Good luck again, and please post back here!

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If the mail app is trying to make all those items available by loading them you may be running into a RAM limitation.

I have found that if I am connected on wifi and the router has an issue with the modem my iPad (and iPhone) will not switch over to Cellular unless I turn off wifi in settings or un-power the router (which is the same effect). The same seems to happen in reverse also. It doesn't happen too often, but when it does... You might try turning both off in settings then turn them back on and see if that helps

Miata GT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The System Status app helps me on my iPad 1 by allowing me to easily free up memory, which as others have noted is the issue you are having.

2mnycars

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The System Status app helps me on my iPad 1 by allowing me to easily free up memory, which as others have noted is the issue you are having.
Thanks. I'm having problems too (basic iPad 1)
I'll try the system status app.
DaveL
Toronto

edit: installed. Now let's see....

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I could not find an app called "system status" in the Itunes store - does it have a different name?

System Status is the correct name, I have it on my iPad right now. Maybe it's not available in the UK AppStore?

Most reactions