What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Skype App Imminent

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7PbeiCkMz4&feature=player_detailpage"]YouTube - Skype For iPad[/ame]​
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The iPhone version of Skype actually works so well on the iPad that it’s easy to forget that it’s not actually an iPad-specific app, but TUAW has just reminded us all of that with the news that an actual proper iPad version of Skype is about to be released. Skype actually leaked a video earlier today, which was then pulled, but iSpazio has captured it for posterity and you can watch it at the top of this post. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]TUAW has been talking to Skype VP of Consumer and Product Design Rick Osterloh about the new app, and he told them that it will have very similar functions to the iPhone app, such as chat, and audio and video calling. Osterloh said that while Skype was happy with how well the iPhone version of its app worked on the iPad, the launch of the iPad 2 made a bespoke iPad Skype app “super compelling.†He also said that some of the PC/Mac features, such as file sharing, would not be included in the iPad app.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Source: Skype coming to the iPad soon | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog[/FONT]

tomuk_82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great news, i've been a member of Skype but never really used it.

This looks pretty good, can't wait to use it... If only I had some friends to talk to :eek: lol

OP
M

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
But not even an approximate release date. :(

I think it will be very, very soon, I think it's been submitted to the app store so it will literally just be a couple of days. (Hopefully!)

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Toonice4ul said:
It's confirmed for this Tuesday actually lol
06/28/11

It is? I saw this in the TUAW article.

"After plenty of success with the iPhone version of the Skype app, the company is finally releasing an official version for the iPad. Skype hasn't announced a date for release yet, but video of the app has leaked out online, and the app is expected to be approved soon."

SaberOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's great news and I'll install it once it's released. I sure hope its better than the ElCrap-o version 5.0 on the MacPro.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Maura said:
I think it will be very, very soon, I think it's been submitted to the app store so it will literally just be a couple of days. (Hopefully!)

I sure hope you guys are right. I tired of turning my head sideways to see Skype in landscape mode. :)

Most reactions