What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Skins vs iPad Cases

ZAGG.com

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.zagg.com
We wanted to take a poll on what everyone prefers. Would you rather use a case for your iPad or put a skin on it.

Possible aspects to consider:

• Weight and mobility
  • Looks and feel
  • Color coordination
  • Protective abilities

Let me know your thoughts.

Dr Umfufu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried both and my opinion is:

Weight: a skin is obviously better than a cover in terms of weight but some covers hardly weigh anything (Incipio Feather)
Coordination: a skin can be any design and colour so is more flexible for those showing off their individuality...
Fitting: make a mess of the install and a skin just looks awful!!!! With a cover you get a perfect fit every time, and it can be removed for cleaning.
Protection: a skin offers no protection except for scratches. A cover offers much more...

Just my 2 cents worth....

SaberOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since the iPad2 is pretty darn fragile I can’t see myself using anything but a case. It doesn’t have to be the kind you can throw down a hill or against an office wall, but it does have to protect my investment. I favor the garden-variety notebook style myself with either an edged sleeve border or an effective clip edged border. Either way, it should be thin and fit tighter than a cats meow. Also, make no mistake, as many iPad owners would likely pay through the nose for quality. Then again, what do I know.

Last edited:

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
With 6 boy grandchildren 5 and under using the iPad (even the one year old can turn it on and get his favorite books started), I need a case. The case that works on the battlefield would be best but I have settled for a targus and glasses wipes from lens crafters.

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I bought a silicon cover and a leather case..silicone for bump and fall resistance...leather cover for the sun and weather..when u adopt an elephant u got to pay to keep it health...just a saying here in india ;)

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I bought a silicon cover and a leather case..silicone for bump and fall resistance...leather cover for the sun and weather..when u adopt an elephant u got to pay to keep it healthy...just a saying here in india ;)

mcduck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SaberOne said:
Since the iPad2 is pretty darn fragile I can’t see myself using anything but a case. It doesn’t have to be the kind you can throw down a hill or against an office wall, but it does have to protect my investment. I favor the garden-variety notebook style myself with either an edged sleeve border or an effective clip edged border. Either way, it should be thin and fit tighter than a cats meow. Also, make no mistake, as many iPad owners would likely pay through the nose for quality. Then again, what do I know.

What version of notebook case have you settled on? Having broken the glass screen on mine, I am trying to choose the best option.

SaberOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello 'mcduct'

I’m far too new to recommend anything. I simply read, write and review product pages on the web. Following the lead of news correspondent’s in the field, the notebook style seems to be popular. Also, I tend to lean towards the quality cases that may or may not fit better. In the end, I think it’s a crapshoot and I’ve learned to nail the return process (RMA) to a science. If I were buying today, here is one that caught my eye. Click on the small pics to see the nice detail.

Beyza Tan Executive II Leather Slim Case for Apple iPad 2

BTW: I’m too embarrassed to post the one I opted for since its head n’ shoulders over the top.
Regards,

Last edited:

Williebye

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I must confess that I placed my unprotected (with flip top only from Apple) iPod 2 on the kitchen counter and with just a slight bump to the counter it quickly slid to the tiled floor. It was not necessary to look once I heard that sickening sound as it contacted the floor to know that the screen was toast.
I will have to now spend $$ to have it replaced by Apple. I can't give up 3 years of warranty to get a cheaper screen replacement.

Without a case there is just no protection and a drop will eventually happen. I looked at three cases and chose this one because it also retained a little more of iPad 2s look and style with more than acceptable protection. It also comes with a screen protector.

http://www.tridenteer.com/products/Aegis-Case-for-Apple-iPad-2-(Blue).html

This has military grade protection but turns the delicate design of the iPad 2 into a tank.
http://www.goballisticcase.com/products/ipad-2-ballistic-tough-jacket-series-case

This one had issues with a very weak flap/stand part as indicated by several reviews.
http://www.otterbox.com/iPad-2-Defe...APL2-IPAD2_color=D9&start=1&cgid=ipad-2-cases

tdmsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use an invisible shield around the house, and put my iPad in a case when I take it on the go.
Right now I have a Marware EcoVue, but if I could afford it I would get an Oberon in a heart beat!
I have been intrigued by the zaggmate, but I don't know if I type enough, besides the screen keyboard works well for me.

Most reactions

Latest posts