What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad sketching app or switch off touch screen

leetha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm essentially looking for an app that will turn my iPad into a light table so i can put a piece of paper over the top and sketch the image underneath. A general way to disable the touch screen would work so I could sketch straight from a photo in the gallery but i don't think that is possible. Yes I am aware of the potential for damage so please no replies about that, it's first gen and probably time for a new model soon. If this sort of function is not available in any way then an app where I can digitally sketch over and image and just save what I have done myself and not the base picture would also be fantastic. This seems like a fairly simple ask but i can't find a straight up simple answer anywhere.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If there is paper on the touch screen then the touch screen won't register any touches.......so you should be fine......I just tried this with a piece of tissue!

The Archangel

OP
L

leetha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks but I tried with three different types of paper suitable for sketching, it registers and shifts or enlarges the photo underneath. Got so annoying that I stopped and signed up to a forum to ask for help :(

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
leetha said:
Thanks but I tried with three different types of paper suitable for sketching, it registers and shifts or enlarges the photo underneath. Got so annoying that I stopped and signed up to a forum to ask for help :(

Well I owe you an apology, I tried it again and with one finger the screen didn't register but with two it does.......I don't know a way to disable the touchscreen as that would kind of defeat the object of a tablet but hopefully there is an app that someone knows of that will do what you want.

The Archangel

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was going to recommend some full-figured cycling gloves I use in fall and early spring. I know them to work well for making all capacitive touch-screen useless. However, they cost about the same as the ones K3 linked and those look better (the ones I have have high-vis yellow/green on parts of them and thus are very loud, even inside). The thin ones shouldn't interfere too much with your tracing.

Last edited:

Most reactions