What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad sharing questions?

texasez

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife has an Ipod and her own Itunes account. Is there a way to share music to the Ipad when it has a seperate Itunes account. I do not want to share anything but music between the two devices.
This is my first Apple product. I have been 100% Android and Windows until now.
Thanks

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Anything purchased from the iTunes store will only be available to devices sharing the Apple ID used for the purchase.

You can sign in to iTunes on your computer with a different ID to transfer music you have ripped yourself, but it is my belief that the original mp3s would have to be transferred to iTunes twice, once for each account. I'm nowhere near my computer so I can't check this latter point out, but I'm reasonably sure.

If you are only sharing music, why not set up both devices with the Apple ID used to make the purchases? You can stop iTunes from automatically syncing apps and have independent emails, FaceTime etc. this would likely serve you better.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

OP
T

texasez

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anything purchased from the iTunes store will only be available to devices sharing the Apple ID used for the purchase.

You can sign in to iTunes on your computer with a different ID to transfer music you have ripped yourself, but it is my belief that the original mp3s would have to be transferred to iTunes twice, once for each account. I'm nowhere near my computer so I can't check this latter point out, but I'm reasonably sure.

If you are only sharing music, why not set up both devices with the Apple ID used to make the purchases? You can stop iTunes from automatically syncing apps and have independent emails, FaceTime etc. this would likely serve you better.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

I already have two Itunes accounts. Is there anyway to merge or change the Apple ID of one of the Itunes accounts so I can share the music or is it to late?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I suggest calling Apple on this one...merging accounts sounds like something done best by command central!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, there is no way to merge Apple IDs. Others have tried and have been rebuffed by Apple. Has to do with their security policy, I believe...

The best you can do is the log on/log off process as described above. Although, if you have the music in iTunes that you've not gotten from Apple (as in, stuff you've ripped yourself and not bought from Apple), I believe you can just load it onto the iPad, regardless which Apple ID. The logging on/off only applies to music purchased from Apple.

Of course, I could be mistaken about that - and will not be bothered if I'm corrected. :)

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts