What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Security once it has been used over a public/hotspot WiFi

Temma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
to you all here! I bought an iPad (cellular & WiFi) and had issues activating it. The Apple helpline told me to connect via WiFi to try and 'trigger something' (technical!!).

I am only going to use the cellular connection myself, as I don't have WiFi.

I went to a Costa and tried to connect to their WiFi. It asked me to enter a mobile number and an access code would be sent. I used what I thought was the mobile number of the SIM in the iPad. But, for whatever reason, the code was never received.

However, I noticed that I could access the App Store and there was access to the email inbox through the 'Messages' icon that I used as my Apple ID.

Today I used my debit card to buy items from the Tesco and Amazon apps, connecting through my CELLULAR connection.

Because the apps hadn't been used before I ended-up entering my full address and card number, 3 digit security code, etc whilst using both the Tesco and Amazon apps

I am now having a bit of a paranoia attack: could there have been any malware that has infected the iPad through that Costa Coffee WiFi which would act as, say, a keylogger, enabling my details to be stolen?

I was a victim of security theft before and it nearly drove me to a breakdown and I can't go through all that again.

Crikey, I can't go through all that again, it nearly gave me a breakdown. Literally. I have also just lost my mother and Grandad over the space of 4 months and am unsure I have got the fortitude to go through all this again.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Malware, such as a key logger cannot be installed on an iPad through using it at a particular WiFi hotspot. Adding spyware to an iPad would require that the iPad be jailbroken and that the person adding the spyware would need physical possession of the iPad.

Entering personal data in an App Store downloaded app such as the Tesco and Amazon apps won't transmit your personal details to an unauthorized destination unless a scammer somehow intercepts your cellular signal and can break the security encryption used by the operators of the app. This is extremely unlikely as even the government would find this almost impossible to do.

The greatest dangers when in public are shoulder surfers who look over your shoulder and watch you enter your details on your iPad.

OP
T

Temma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, that's given me a little peace of mind. I asked on another forum and they said "Connecting over a Hotspot is dangerous". I know it can be to make secure payments over such connections, but I have been a wreck since they said that! :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, that's given me a little peace of mind. I asked on another forum and they said "Connecting over a Hotspot is dangerous". I know it can be to make secure payments over such connections, but I have been a wreck since they said that! :)
You still shouldn't send any important information in the clear while using a public WiFi hotspot but using a secure web sight or app should be all right. If possible, you could do such activity at home or on a password protected hotspot for extra peace of mind. Just be careful about who's nearby and could see what you're doing.

Most reactions

Latest posts