What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad sd connector... How do I get it working again?

Katieg2006

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys. So I have had my iPad since Xmas. I was very disappointed that the sd connector gave me and error the first time I tried loading photos on to it (device uses too much power) but I got around this by using the USB instead. About 3 months ago I got a new camera, and now the USB doesn't work. I'm just about fed up of it now. I'm fed up of having to switch ye old desktop on just to sort my photos out when my expensive piece of kit here should be more than capable!

So, can I not downgrade the updates so that it works again? Is it the 4.2.1 that broke it? If so can I not restore it to before then?

If I can't I'm seriously considering trading it in for a Asus tablet that has an actually sd slot. (I won't go for the ipad2 as im worried apple will just update willy nilly and take features away!!)

Any help would be REALLY appreciated!!!! Thank you xx

OP
K

Katieg2006

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Believe me it doesnt :( if I plug in the sd connector it says "device uses too much power" and that's that!!! :(

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What card are you using in the SD adapter? There are lots of problems using flash drives on the USB, but I have never heard of a single SD Card that does not work...

OP
K

Katieg2006

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried using smaller sd cards 4gb, 2gb and even 64mb but still I get the same error :(

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am well aware of the problem and have it myself for USB devices only. I have never seen or heard of any SD card which, when connected directly to the SD CCK adapter, and not via any card reader, will not work. I have about 6 different SD cards. I've just never seen that error on the SD Adapter.

To be fair the main article you linked to is all about the USB Adapter and using CF cards. I don't deny those don't work. I'm just surprised by the SD Cards.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, and 64GB SD Card has set alarm bells ringing.
I am pretty sure the specification is clearly stated as SDHC which are maximum 32GB unless I am mistaken.

EDIT - I see you said you tried a SDHC 8GB, so that should work. But not a 64GB.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, that article talks about using a card reader in conjunction with an SDHC card. Are you trying to use the type of card reader that can read all different sizes of cards - and connects to a PC via a USB port?

If so, yeah, they may not work because of Apple's downgrade of the power support in that USB port (with iOS 4.x). So, try using just the SDHC card in the other piece of the CCK. A direct feed of an SD card has never failed to work for cards up to 32GB ... AFAIK.

If you need a reader (because your card is too small/too big to fit in the Apple CCK), I've successfully used the Transcend USB card reader in this link [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Flash-Memory-Reader-TS-RDP5K/dp/B001NS828K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311196520&sr=8-1"]here[/ame]. It's only $8 (USD) at Amazon and while I generally use just the card, sometimes you have to use USB connections (or different size cards). This little USB reader is handy to have for those situations...

Good luck.

Marilyn

OP
K

Katieg2006

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmmmm Im obviously explaining this all wrong or using the wrong terminology lol.

Ok so ya know the White thing you can buy that has an sd slot and a USB slot? It fits into the same part you charge your iPad with? Well when I put my sd card into that, then into my iPad, it does not work.

And sorry I didn't mean 64gb I meant 64mb (really small, it was one of my first sd cards from years ago)

Does this make sense? This is similar to the one I have -

2 in 1 USB SD Card Reader Camera Connector for iPad | eBay

OP
K

Katieg2006

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn... So my sd card will definately work with that flash stick Thingy? Wow you can tell I'm not technology minded lol x

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmmmm Im obviously explaining this all wrong or using the wrong terminology lol.

Ok so ya know the White thing you can buy that has an sd slot and a USB slot? It fits into the same part you charge your iPad with? Well when I put my sd card into that, then into my iPad, it does not work.

And sorry I didn't mean 64gb I meant 64mb (really small, it was one of my first sd cards from years ago)

So you're not using the official Apple Camera Connection Kit? As Leigh mentioned, general multicard USB card readers may not work because the card reader itself consumes some power and that may exceed that allowed by the iPad's interface. Basically Apple only guarantee it will work with their camera connection kit. If you use anything else, there's no guarantee at all that it will work.

Tim

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Katieg2006 said:

OK, sorry Katie, I was talking about the Apple CCK, and assumed you were too as Tim spotted. The Apple CCK comes in two parts. See here http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC531ZM/A?fnode=MTc0MjU4NjE&mco=MTc0NzE1OTE
The USB and SD adapters are completely separate, and the SD one (on the right side of the picture) works all the time without any problems with an SD card it in. It is only the USB one (on the left) that folks have trouble with because of power draw on some devices. However if you plug a camera into it (as you are supposed to do) it works fine too.
You are likely to have trouble with other adapters. Maybe consider buying the official one now you know it works with SD?
Cheers.

Most reactions

Latest posts